Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should the Packers next DC be Jim Leonhard?

Should the Packers next DC be Jim Leonhard?

I think we all admit we want Dom gone... so who should we hire? Based on what I've seen this year from the Badger defense, who have excelled despite injuries and play incredible assignment sure defense, I'm confident that Leonhard is a guy who is going to be an NFL coach very soon. He understands what it takes to succeed in today's NFL, and he would probably relate far better to the young players we have who seem to be developing too slowly. He is young and hungry. I'm not interested in some old retread.

Thoughts?
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    No. Part is being selfish that I don't want Jimmy to leave WI after one year of DC. He's a great coach for college kids as his style fits there very well.

I also don't think that a guy with 2 yrs of coaching experience is worthy of a DC role in the NFL.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

If the Packers don't hire him, someone else will. Can't imagine him sticking around at UW very long unless he's got all the money he could ever want and just wants to be around Madison.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Every time I get into this conversation I think of Dave Aranda. He's certainly got experience, knowledge and demonstrated success in college at several Universities. His defenses have consistently ranked in the top five or ten. I think he's a 3/4 guy which may or may not be an advantage depending on what the Pack wants.

Right now Aranda is at LSU with a pretty cush position and contract, so I don't know if he's looking for a change or a career in the NFL. I wouldn't mind him leaving LSU in the lurch either.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I think we all admit we want Dom gone... so who should we hire? Based on what I've seen this year from the Badger defense, who have excelled despite injuries and play incredible assignment sure defense, I'm confident that Leonhard is a guy who is going to be an NFL coach very soon. He understands what it takes to succeed in today's NFL, and he would probably relate far better to the young players we have who seem to be developing too slowly. He is young and hungry. I'm not interested in some old retread.

Thoughts?
    As mentioned, he has only coached for 2 years and likely will get a couple more before being hired away.

I agree about someone young and hungry unless a guy like Wade Phillips or Gregg Williams comes available. A guy who is successful everywhere he goes.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I agree about someone young and hungry unless a guy like Wade Phillips or Gregg Williams comes available.
    It's close to Mutiny of the Bounty for Williams in Cleveland.

for the record I would prefer Richard Lionheart as the new defensive coordinator.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Jim Schwartz has done well for himself but you have to draft his guys. Not sure its a better match than Capers.

You also need to tolerate his willingness to anonymously trash the head coach like he did to Pederson earlier this year.

Jim Leonard has 2 years of coaching experience. No.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Boy, I was laughing at the notion of Jimmy leaving after one year to be an NFL DC, but he sure is one heck of a coach, eh? I am happy to be wrong for him and his family. Dude is excelling.

Our next DC will be Dom Capers... he ain't going anywhere.

Our window has passed with Rodgers.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Jim Schwartz has done well for himself but you have to draft his guys. Not sure its a better match than Capers.

You also need to tolerate his willingness to anonymously trash the head coach like he did to Pederson earlier this year.

Jim Leonard has 2 years of coaching experience. No.
    Schwartz is a hell of a defensive coach...but he probably will never aspire to only be a defensive coordinator. He always thinks he can be top dog, and that is where he fails tremendously.

I don't care about experience. Being a great manager of people is something you are born with...it is not a trait that can easily be learned. Leonhard started in the league for 4+ years...he knows the game. Honestly, I'm not convinced at this point that Leonhard should be considered if Dom is to be replaced...or that he would even want to leave the college ranks. However, I'm starting to think the Packers should at least kick the tires and see what the guy is thinking about in terms of his career path if the Packers are going to be cleaning house on that side of the ball at year end.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Blog Entries
    HELL NO; not sacrificing the Badgers for a GB DC position and then listen to Wist hammer him for the next five years
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    HELL NO; not sacrificing the Badgers for a GB DC position and then listen to Wist hammer him for the next five years
    Wait to think of the team ahead of yourself B!

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Our next DC will be Dom Capers... he ain't going anywhere.

Our window has passed with Rodgers.
    You make it sound like Rodgers is past his prime and ready to retire.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Wait to think of the team ahead of yourself B!

You can call me Benedict, but if you made me choose National Championship for the Big Red or Super Bowl for the Pack.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    You make it sound like Rodgers is past his prime and ready to retire.
    It isn't that Rodgers is past his prime... he's still got some awesome years ahead of him.

The problem is what it would take, and the time it would take, to put a championship caliber team around him. So many of TT's draft picks are pedestrian or worse... Rodgers would really have to play at a super- human level for us to win another championship.

Add to the talent deficiency the fact that Capers is still our DC (the game has clearly passed him by - what is he, 80 years old now??), and we simply don't have a realistic shot at another SB in the foreseeable future - which is probably the rest of Rodgers' career.

If they fired Capers I'd be more optimistic, but it is pretty obvious that Capers isn't going anywhere.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I'd be willing to put up with Capers for another year if it got the Badgers a National Championship - but, I'd want full credit for making the sacrifice
    wist

I think Jimmy is a heck of a coach clearly but let's also not forget he has a stacked senior laden lineup of guys with in general 2-3 years of experience. Let's see how he does next year before we crown him. It certainly looks very promising.

I would rather have Aranda just due to how long he's done it and been successful in a variety of situations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I think Jimmy is a heck of a coach clearly but let's also not forget he has a stacked senior laden lineup of guys with in general 2-3 years of experience. Let's see how he does next year before we crown him. It certainly looks very promising.

I would rather have Aranda just due to how long he's done it and been successful in a variety of situations.
    I would take Aranda in GB as well; but he's got a cush job as one of the highest paid DC's in college football and I'm not sure if he wants in the NFL

As to Leonard, dude it phenominal at half time adjustments. The numbers are f'ckin silly good

A ton of talent at LB is injured and Badge didn't miss a beat; scary what this defense would be if hey had those guys too.

Blog Entries
    I would disagree with Wist. Capers being gone is clearly on its way. It seems MM is about a solid year behind the sentiment in terms of letting coaches go based on his past dealings. He tends to be too loyal. But I think Dom is history.
    NOW BASED ON PAST....there will probably be 1 or 2 outstanding DC's available, and MM will drag his feet with his decision, and we'll lose out on them while MM is assessing everything.

But I think he's gone and I'm fine with that even though I think he's only partially....50 percent MAX at fault.

The guy who is here as long as he wants is TT; Murphy IMO doesn't have stones to make any call even if you wanted to argue it might be time.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I'm on the Mike Nolan or Dennis Thurman train for DC.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!