Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mark Murphy is as useless as a hind TIT

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Putting it on record that Murphy did a poor job for the Packers in searching for a new GM and extending the current coach's contract.

New GM has a five year deal and he is going to waste a year on a coach who should arguably be tossed. I did not like M3 inserting himself into this process. Murphy should have told him to pound sand, but they are clearly worried about Rodgers signing another deal. This reeks of Shermanism.

Compromises like this is how franchises go wrong. And Murphy should have acted to prevent it. If the only NFL talent in front office you know is what says hi to you at the water cooler every day, you are not doing your job.

Gutekunst might have been the best candidate out of the internal guys, but that doesn't make him the best candidate they could have gotten.

If the three internal guys would have pouted and gone elsewhere, so be it. I am also a little worried that the three old candidates didn't so much as ask to be included. I wonder if they are worried about M3 or Murphy? Or has the shine worn off the franchise?

Boo.

Repped
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Putting it on record that Murphy did a poor job for the Packers in searching for a new GM and extending the current coach's contract.

New GM has a five year deal and he is going to waste a year on a coach who should arguably be tossed. I did not like M3 inserting himself into this process. Murphy should have told him to pound sand, but they are clearly worried about Rodgers signing another deal. This reeks of Shermanism.

Compromises like this is how franchises go wrong. And Murphy should have acted to prevent it. If the only NFL talent in front office you know is what says hi to you at the water cooler every day, you are not doing your job.

Gutekunst might have been the best candidate out of the internal guys, but that doesn't make him the best candidate they could have gotten.

If the three internal guys would have pouted and gone elsewhere, so be it. I am also a little worried that the three old candidates didn't so much as ask to be included. I wonder if they are worried about M3 or Murphy? Or has the shine worn off the franchise?

Boo.
    Are you referring to Schneider, McKenzie and Dorsey? If so, they have jobs. How often does a GM from one team ask to be allowed to be interviewed by another team? Not sure why you see the hiring of Gute as a compromise. Sounds like he could have had the 49ers job last year, and might have had the Texans job this year. What qualifications as a GM is he missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Are you referring to Schneider, McKenzie and Dorsey? If so, they have jobs. How often does a GM from one team ask to be allowed to be interviewed by another team? Not sure why you see the hiring of Gute as a compromise. Sounds like he could have had the 49ers job last year, and might have had the Texans job this year. What qualifications as a GM is he missing?
    He is not, but the Packers GM is not an inside linebacker job. Hiring the best existing GM is a choice that does not carry the same risks as player FA. So the vets who have jobs (there is an inside chance that Murphy and Ted knew they were going in this direction during the season) could have been notified by back channel to let each know that interviews were forthcoming, giving you an outside shot of Dorsey.

McKenzie said no and the Packers did not push the issue about Schneider. So they promoted the best guy from within who was possibly being chased by the Texans.

Contrast that to hiring Ted. Harlan got one of the top guys from another organization that had Packer roots. Schneider, Dorsey an McKenzie all took guys with them that had Packer backgrounds. Even if the former big three weren't biting, one of their lieutenants might have been nice to interview. Could have interviewed DeCosta and have not seem to have done so. In fact, other than assuming they interviewed Whaley for Rooney Rule compliance, not sure anyone from outside got an interview.

And they went into this having extended an expiring contract on the coach. Leaving no room for input from the new guy. New guy probably does the same thing, giving him a year to evaluate the coaches and think about a replacement should it be necessary. But as it stands during interviews, Packers brass interfered with that process.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    That isn't what I interpret pbmax as informing us.

I believe pbmax has less of a problem with Mark Murphy's choice of a GM than he does have (as I have); with all the Rumors, and people like Mike McCarthy (possibly meddling) in the PROCESS of assigning the new Packer GM.

If 'in fact' MM did that!?

All that speculation aside:

I know someone needed to be appointed Packer GM, ASAP. Why !?

For as it was going; to handcuff MM adding any more embarrassment to Packer Nation, and his 'Run Away Train Hatchet Run'.

Mike McCarthy, is 'out of control'

M3's a too obvious, back stabbing, two faced bullshit artist. You never turn you back on anyone like Mike McCarthy.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Short version of complaint: The process by which Murphy selected a new GM looked haphazard and incomplete. Either its incompetence or it was predetermined that an inside guy gets the job. Regardless, the Packers deserve to be served better than this by their CEO.

If M3 was involved in a significant way, it was worse than I have summarized above.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Short version of complaint: The process by which Murphy selected a new GM looked haphazard and incomplete. Either its incompetence or it was predetermined that an inside guy gets the job. Regardless, the Packers deserve to be served better than this by their CEO.

If M3 was involved in a significant way, it was worse than I have summarized above.
    I will say this (and I'm down with the Kunst promotion), I about fell out of my chair when I first heard that M3 was sitting in on GM interviews. That makes no sense whatsoever and makes me think Murphy is in over his head on some of this.

Blog Entries

While I do agree with you 100%, I"m elated we didn't hire a cappie guy

Wolf was kinda TT's top assistant personnel wise so good odds he bolts soon. But if Gooter was better I can live with that.

I put a poll up a few days ago; hardly anybody thought MM (except Woody I think) was bad. At worst he's still a very solid play caller. If Murphy believes MM is a great coach I don't think giving him input is bad.

Many in ESPN 1070 feels there is a rift between MM and Rodgers. But Rodgers favorite guy ever is reportedly Philbin and we just brought back in. Lots of stuff going on there.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    While I do agree with you 100%, I"m elated we didn't hire a cappie guy

Wolf was kinda TT's top assistant personnel wise so good odds he bolts soon. But if Gooter was better I can live with that.

I put a poll up a few days ago; hardly anybody thought MM (except Woody I think) was bad. At worst he's still a very solid play caller. If Murphy believes MM is a great coach I don't think giving him input is bad.

Many in ESPN 1070 feels there is a rift between MM and Rodgers. But Rodgers favorite guy ever is reportedly Philbin and we just brought back in. Lots of stuff going on there.
    I'll stand 110% behind my analysis and Mike McCarthy.

He's the Achilles Heal and the Now Green Bay Packers.

The sooner The Green Bay Packers can his ass the BEST REAL CHANCE we have, and winning a Super Bowl.

Till he's gone I'll very likely Pray to the Packer God's that M3 is Dismissed.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-07-2018 at 07:45 PM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

Boo.
    Maybe Murphy was mostly happy with how the front office runs and wants that consistency. Maybe it was time for some aged out guys to move on. Maybe they actually have a lot of respect for Stubby as coach, but see the need for improvement. I don't see the Shermanism at all. I don't see an organization that isn't working either. I see an organization that is largely competent, but 1) has natural need to move forward 2) respects the competence of organization and head coach. I find it difficult to believe that an organization that's been pilfered the way the Packers have been is in some kind of disarray. 3) I could be wrong.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Boo.
    Like this post overall. The entire process looked desperate and chaotic. Capers had to go. Nothing else was wrong with this franchise. Why would you can everyone BUT MM. His meltdown in Seattle cost us a second superbowl birth. He has had the best QB ever to work with, but refuses to run screens or even run the ball consistently.

If I had to choose TT or MM to go, MM is gone in a minute. His coaching tree is a flag pole whereas TT's GM tree is a fricking cedar. I think this ends badly, but I love being wrong sometimes. Maybe Spriggs turns into an all pro....who knows.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Boo.
    I'm not so sure if I think much of MM being involved in the GM interviews either. Obviously the Head Coach and GM need to have a good working relationship and be on the same page regarding the team they are trying to build but I think Stubby needs to worry more about putting the players he does have in a position to succeed. That also includes having the right Coordinators and Assistant Coaches who can get the most out of what they have to work with. We've been lacking in talent in some areas but I don't necessarily think our coaches have always done the best job of utilizing the talent we do have to the best of their abilities either.

Stubby needs to start being more flexible in his approach to working with the talent he has and also stop being so loyal to underachievers on his staff. If it was up to me, he'd actually be skating on thin ice and have some things to prove after the way this past season played out. This almost makes it look like he had nothing at all to do with the cluster**** of a season we just finished watching and that he wasn't part of the problem. Once again, this is just my opinion and maybe I'm wrong, but it seems as though MM is unjustifiably wearing an extra thick coat of Teflon right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Like this post overall. The entire process looked desperate and chaotic. Capers had to go. Nothing else was wrong with this franchise. Why would you can everyone BUT MM. His meltdown in Seattle cost us a second superbowl birth. He has had the best QB ever to work with, but refuses to run screens or even run the ball consistently.

If I had to choose TT or MM to go, MM is gone in a minute. His coaching tree is a flag pole whereas TT's GM tree is a fricking cedar. I think this ends badly, but I love being wrong sometimes. Maybe Spriggs turns into an all pro....who knows.
    If TT's GM tree is a cedar, what is the problem with Gute? He would seem to be another branch much like Schneider, McKenzie and Dorsey. Isn't it possible that Murphy gives the benefit of the doubt to a guy with a scouting background who has been promoted by TT, given TT's track record in this area?

As for MM, I think the pressure is on him. If after a year, Gute wants to can him, I don't think Murphy would prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

It was clearly a 'cart before the horse' mess of a Process and demonstrated PANIC and Paranoia on behalf of Mike McCarthy and any possible influence on Mark Murphy is beyond senseless stupidity.

Mike McCarthy:

That backstabbing bullshit artist shouldn't be allowed to FIRE Good Men before it's time and no GM nor OC and DC aboard.

How many Packer Coaches did M3 through under the bus? His Coaching dismissals made little sense base on performance. He let good men go (again) without even attaining the OC and DC, as of this Sunday Evening. Why?

I thought that TT looked like he had a health issue. I believe he wanted out of the GM's chair based on too much evidence he was already or quickly burning out. He played Pro Football as a LBer and we are now aware of the effect of the brutality of the sport and long term health.

I'm disappointed, after all that was so evident (and M3's behaviour) since the end of the Regular Schedule that he should be terminated; that Mike McCarthy escaped getting dismissed.

He's Mike ' Houdini ' McCarthy. The only 'hatchet man' that might remain more Famous...Jason.

Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-07-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    I will say this (and I'm down with the Kunst promotion), I about fell out of my chair when I first heard that M3 was sitting in on GM interviews. That makes no sense whatsoever and makes me think Murphy is in over his head on some of this.
    Sitting in on the interviews doesn't mean that he has decision-making power in the hire. It could easily mean that Murphy values MM's opinion and would take his views into consideration when making the decision. In fact I would be surprised if a sitting head coach were not part of the interview process. Who would be in a better position than the current HC to ask and respond to questions about the GM's personnel philosophy?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Irregardless of whether you like TT or stubby. The title of the thread is pointing out how worthless Mark Murphy is. There is more of an argument for this than against. What exactly does Murphy do? Pretty much nothing.

What is Green Bay's overall record since he arrived. I don't think he's great but it's about as silly to point out MM is worthless as it is to try to argue MM is not a good playcaller
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Sitting in on the interviews doesn't mean that he has decision-making power in the hire. It could easily mean that Murphy values MM's opinion and would take his views into consideration when making the decision. In fact I would be surprised if a sitting head coach were not part of the interview process. Who would be in a better position than the current HC to ask and respond to questions about the GM's personnel philosophy?

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=woodbuck27;961812]It was clearly a 'cart before the horse' mess of a Process and demonstrated PANIC and Paranoia on behalf of Mike McCarthy and any possible influence on Mark Murphy is beyond senseless stupidity.

Mike McCarthy:

That backstabbing bullshit artist shouldn't be allowed to FIRE Good Men before it's time and no GM nor OC and DC aboard.

How many Packer Coaches did M3 through under the bus? His Coaching dismissals made little sense base on performance. He let good men go (again) without even attaining the OC and DC, as of this Sunday Evening. Why?

I have no idea what you are even talking about here. Who exactly did MM fire with no basis ? Dom Capers ? It's a head coaches job to analyze his staff and make changes as needed

DO YOU DENY the common perception that pretty much Everybody has that Mike Mccarthy has been way too loyal to coaches ? Special teams coaches ??? Defensive Coordinators

Do you deny that when MM tried to give up playcalling to his OC and it was a failure and when he took it back it pretty much saved our offense ?

And if Murphy let MM in the interviews, he Obviously valued his view.

IF you want to take shots at somebody for that it should be Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    I am not certain its been established that he did. It was a single sourced report that I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Maybe Murphy was mostly happy with how the front office runs and wants that consistency. Maybe it was time for some aged out guys to move on. Maybe they actually have a lot of respect for Stubby as coach, but see the need for improvement. I don't see the Shermanism at all. I don't see an organization that isn't working either. I see an organization that is largely competent, but 1) has natural need to move forward 2) respects the competence of organization and head coach. I find it difficult to believe that an organization that's been pilfered the way the Packers have been is in some kind of disarray. 3) I could be wrong.
    He could have preferred staying internal. And I cannot produce any evidence that Gutekunst will be incompetent.

But there is no excuse to pick the brains of some smart people. Maybe he gets blown away by one he doesn't expect. Thinking you know the answer in advance is a dangerous mindset.

Even if Gute gets interviewed in Houston, he was one of several and they had time.

Shermanism in the way they extended a coach who has some flaws, and I am not convinced they are going to get fixed given he is the most senior person, without consulting their new GM. Especially so if McCarthy's PC pushed Murphy into avoiding a candidate he preferred due to differences in their background. Mike3 has enough on his plate, he doesn't need to play kingmaker.

OK, seriously, last post just blasting everyone. Occasionally red has an observation*, and its so obvious you doubt the simple explanation for it because you have learned that things tend to be more complex than they appear from a superficial glance from a distance. Also because red is usually angry about it when he posts

But sometimes, like Lacy regaining the weight he lost right before camp, it becomes inescapable.

I believe Ted had suffered some decline after that surgery a few years back. Reading the tea leaves, it looks like he had either a longer than anticipated recovery or perhaps a set back or two, because he was out of contact for an extended period of time, long enough that people started to ask questions of the Packers. This message board is populated by folks who know from medical procedures, and occasionally surgery or other medical event takes a LOT out of you. I don't think this is conspiracy mongering, its just one possible explanation.

So the Packers may have had no choice but to let Ted go from a health and age perspective. They are not going to discuss this publicly. If true, it makes sense for Ted (if he has declined) and the team (Ted is a scout and if he's not scouting, his strengths are no longer brought to bear as much as GM).

But however the team adjusted during the intervening time from surgery to now, they seemed to regain their footing as people think Ted's last two drafts have been among his best. You could concoct a theory that Wolf the Younger (promoted), Gutekunst (promoted) and Ball (involved in some capacity by Ted) somehow helped Ted right the ship. The only specific thing I have seen is that Ball, literally everywhere, is being reported as working closely with Ted all the time and is viewed now as more of a protege than the other 5 guys who are or will be GMs from his staff (Schneider, Dorsey, Mckenzie, Wolf, Gute). The moaning about Ball following Ted's path on FA makes me think there must be something that connects the two besides job titles.