Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 12 @ Pittsburgh

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I guess Mays must officially be in the dog house. He didn't even get one carry after the two fumbles last week.

Also, our the TE's no longer part of the game plan, or only there to block? Rodgers did have one nice catch, but that makes three total catches for Kendricks/Rodgers the last two games. It would seem they could at least be a safety valve sitting down in a route 5 yards down the field.
    There was one play that I remember that Hundley took a sack and the TE was running a shallow crossing route. He was a good 3 yards ahead of the LB but Hundley would have had to throw the ball across his body. Also wondering if his feet weren't set at that point. But Hundley did have a dump off if he had been able to get rid of the ball.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I understand that gets called often, but if my OLB hit the QBs helmet when he ducked down and we lost a game on a flag I would be livid.
    Exactly, and it seems to me the Pack has been penalized for a hand.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

The problem with Williams is that if you block 3 yards, he gets 3.5. If you block 5, he gets 5.5. If you block 15, he gets 7. The better you block the worse the pickup rate.

The lack of takeoff speed is evident every time he had downfield space and got caught by his shoelaces. Had to happen at least 3 times with yardage ahead.

But this isn't an issue because he can be your banger AND catch passes, which makes for some fun heavy packages. And when you want to break one, you have Jones or Mays. Plus Ripper can run, block and catch. Its seriously an overstuffed position now, if people could remain healthy and non fumbling.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

ND72 asked why so many stick routes for the Packers. I think there are a couple of reasons, its one of their run/pass options being the obvious one. But I also think its the design of the offense to get vertical levels working against the defense, which for McCarthy opens up the deeper passing game.

This video actually covers a hook route at 10 yards by the TE. Stick route is normally shorter. But its effect is similar. It stars Mooch at Stanford.

Chris Brown covers the history of this play and how Spurrier, the West Coast Offense and Brett Favre combined to help popularize the 3rd option on this play, the post. http://smartfootball.com/offense/the....9cttcyzy.dpbs

https://player.vimeo.com/video/242619434
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The problem with Williams is that if you block 3 yards, he gets 3.5. If you block 5, he gets 5.5. If you block 15, he gets 7. The better you block the worse the pickup rate.

The lack of takeoff speed is evident every time he had downfield space and got caught by his shoelaces. Had to happen at least 3 times with yardage ahead.

But this isn't an issue because he can be your banger AND catch passes, which makes for some fun heavy packages. And when you want to break one, you have Jones or Mays. Plus Ripper can run, block and catch. Its seriously an overstuffed position now, if people could remain healthy and non fumbling.
    With him, Jones and Ty back next year we might have a pretty nice stable of RBs.

Any evidence Mays is any good yet?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Any evidence Mays is any good yet?
    He looked pretty lively in preseason but is probably the worst pass blocker of the rooks. But nothing substantial yet about translating athletic talent to the field.

You knew this was coming: McCarthy Says FG Was Right Decision

"We had a mark for going north and south," McCarthy said of Crosby's range, via the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "That was right on the fringe. I obviously have a lot of faith and trust in Mason."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    I thought the game was perfect, the packers were competitive, it was an enjoyable game to watch, and yet they still lost to help our chances for a superbowl run next year. On a different note, I would give my left nut to see the badgers beat ohio state this weekend. I know, I know, take it to the badgers forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    There was one play that I remember that Hundley took a sack and the TE was running a shallow crossing route. He was a good 3 yards ahead of the LB but Hundley would have had to throw the ball across his body. Also wondering if his feet weren't set at that point. But Hundley did have a dump off if he had been able to get rid of the ball.
    Pretty sure I'm thinking of the same play. Hundley was rolling left and had I think Rodgers rolling along with him.
    Go PACK

Agreed, there were a good 3-4 plays where Williams was a half step from picking up an additional 10+ yards. If he could pick up that extra half step (either through training or better recognition) he'd be a heck of a lot more dangerous. At the very least though he's a slasher who should be a good short down back.
    Go PACK

Packer Report @PackerReport
    "We'll see," McCarthy says of Rodgers practicing on Saturday. That'd be his first opportunity.

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport
    McCarthy says Rodgers is "knocking it out of the park" but won't go into any decision (or how it'll be made) for this week.

Spriggs will be the right tackle going forward, McCarthy says. Allows McCray to focus on utility role.

Jamaal Williams playing well in all phases - running, receiving and blocking - McCarthy says.

"Definitely," McCarthy says of the 57-yard FG being the right decision. Doesn't understand criticism (cue the fans in three, two, one ...)

And he'd make same decision again. Needed points with Steelers' offensive firepower.

Hundley's improvement: Decision-making stood out, MM says. Avoided critical errors that could have changed the game. Managed game, noise, communication issues.

Crosby's pregame workout showed that the 57-yarder was in his range. "You've got to have points and he's got to hit it," Zook says.

Spriggs must have played well. I don't recall hearing his name mentioned by the zebras at all and didn't realize for quite a while that he replaced McCray last night.

Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein
    McCarthy on Aaron Jones: He'll be in the rehab group with a projection of him possibly being able to practice on Wednesday.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    McCarthy: I think we were minus-10 in tackling. Worst performance of the year.

McCarthy on Hundley getting hit in helmet: He got checked out in the training room and he's fine.

Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein
    It's possible McCarthy will have rookie running backs Aaron Jones (MCL) and Jamaal Williams together very soon, possibly this week if everything goes right in Jones' continuing rehab. Would be a big boost to the offense.

McCarthy: If you don't get to 10 wins there's nothing else to talk about. We have to get to six. That's our mindset.

McCarthy said on 57-yard field goal try: "You have to go for points there if you trust your kicker." Asked about the potential of a miss and what it might do to momentum, he said, "You can't think like that." Said there were a ton of other factors involved.

I WOULD BUY THIS EXPLANATION FOR ANY OF THE PREVIOUS 4 OR 5 GAMES. BUT THEY WERE MOVING THE BALL ON THE STEELERS. MAKES IT VERY CLOSE. DESPITE THE OFFENSE LOOKING THE BEST IT HAS IN 5 WEEKS, THEY ONLY GOT 307 YARDS IN THE GAME. ON BALANCE, THIS WAS MCCARTHY THROWING CAUTION TO THE WIND IN A MUST WIN.

Tom SilversteiN @TomSilverstein
    Dom Capers: Guys played hard. Takeaways were very big. Came at good times. Opening drive was frustrating. We have to tackle better. You have to use your leverage and give them a lot of space.

Capers on Brown catches on last drive: He made a tremendous play (on first one). Second play, we decided to pressure. We hadn't pressured a lot. We had a guy come free but Ben got rid of the ball. It's a hard route to defend.

Tom SilversteiN @TomSilverstein
    Capers on Kevin King: That shoulder is such an issue, coming in and out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Spriggs must have played well. I don't recall hearing his name mentioned by the zebras at all and didn't realize for quite a while that he replaced McCray last night.
    Best game of his pro career. Got better as the game went on, although it was really pretty average for a back up OT. McCray has done as well in his starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    It was a little more interesting than one would like, but he only got trashed on one play I saw (a run).

With Spriggs, McCray, etc playing, Bulaga will be moving on to another team next year

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Best game of his pro career. Got better as the game went on, although it was really pretty average for a back up OT. McCray has done as well in his starts.
    Good for him. The Steelers are one of the top defenses in the league too so perhaps Spriggs isn't a bust after all.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    With Spriggs, McCray, etc playing, Bulaga will be moving on to another team next year
    Most likely the Crystal Lake Tigers.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

That’s great that fat mike thinks a-rod is doing great getting ready to come back

The problem is that he BROKE HIS FUCKING COLLARBONE, and until it heals fully on its own, he shouldn’t be risking anything to fuck it up. That includes throwing the fucking ball 50 yards, just to show off before a game