Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eli Manning to be benched

Eli Manning to be benched

McAdoo has declared that Geno Smith will be the Giants starter against the Raiders on Sunday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ith/902676001/

Manning's consecutive (regular season) games streak will end at 210 games, 2nd only to Favre's 297.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Eli Manning has always been exactly the opposite of Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is so great he MAKES the team what it is. The Giants have generally been good enough in other areas to win in spite of Eli Manning. Some years they haven't been.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

TANKING!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ridiculously poor treatment. If you're not going to start him and he's not in your plans, you cut him. I am shocked that the Mara's will let this happen to Eli. You don't bench someone that won you 2 superbowls and someone who has been a 13 year starter.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Ridiculously poor treatment. If you're not going to start him and he's not in your plans, you cut him. I am shocked that the Mara's will let this happen to Eli. You don't bench someone that won you 2 superbowls and someone who has been a 13 year starter.
    Except if they cut him, he goes through waivers. Better for him to be cut after the season and let him choose his destination. More "respectful" if you want to call it that. Otherwise he'll be playing for the Browns and under contract.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    There was a time when Eli was one of the best clutch QB's in the NFL. Remember 2011? Nothing lasts forever.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Except if they cut him, he goes through waivers. Better for him to be cut after the season and let him choose his destination. More "respectful" if you want to call it that. Otherwise he'll be playing for the Browns and under contract.
    Great point with the waivers, I didn't think about that. I wish they hadn't benched him during the season. It's not like they have the next great QB on their roster. You don't treat a vet this way in my opinion. They aren't winning games either way.

Great point with the waivers, I didn't think about that. I wish they hadn't benched him during the season. It's not like they have the next great QB on their roster. You don't treat a vet this way in my opinion. They aren't winning games either way.
    That's my opinion as well. Let him play out the season, put their rookie in fourth quarters when they're losing, and cut him after the season. Benching him now...I personally don't like it. But oh well; not my call.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    There was a time when Eli was one of the best clutch QB's in the NFL. Remember 2011? Nothing lasts forever.
    Clutch:

note #66 in stands
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    TANKING!
    yup...officially tanking...but at 9-2 with eli did they really have to take this step?

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    yup...officially tanking...but at 9-2 with eli did they really have to take this step?
    Did you list the losses first because that's what's now more important to them?

I agree though, they didn't need to do this. Benching the player who's been the starter at QB for more than a decade, winning two SBs along the way is bush league.

If you think it's time to move on, fine, but let him play out the season this train wreck of a season then cut ties. Eli is showing more class than ownership by not going out there just to maintain the streak.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

That's my quarterback

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Did you list the losses first because that's what's now more important to them?
    yes dammit! smh

I could see it if they were benching Eli to give some playing time to their QB of the future. But bench him for Geno Smith? That's an undeserved insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I could see it if they were benching Eli to give some playing time to their QB of the future. But bench him for Geno Smith? That's an undeserved insult.
    I seriously don't get this. Several writers are convinced its not the GM. TJ Lang thinks they are being stupid.

But I truly do not know what is the upside for the coach UNLESS he is coming back next year for road testing the backups.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I seriously don't get this. Several writers are convinced its not the GM. TJ Lang thinks they are being stupid.

But I truly do not know what is the upside for the coach UNLESS he is coming back next year for road testing the backups.
    Only other answer is the owner wants a top 3 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    Only other answer is the owner wants a top 3 pick.
    I agree. But there is odd unanimity that the Giants operate with solid division of authority.

The notable thing is that the front office and owner are not balking, so they are publicly OK with it.

I agree. But there is odd unanimity that the Giants operate with solid division of authority.

The notable thing is that the front office and owner are not balking, so they are publicly OK with it.
    That's a great point. The Mora's have always operated with a hands off philosophy. If it wasn't for a couple of amazing plays against the Pats in the Superbowl wins, the GM (Reese?) would have been long gone. Neither Coach nor QB will be with the Giants next year. GM probably gone also.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Kind of crazy to see a streak end like this. Wow.

You don't bench an Eli Manning for a Geno Smith...stupid ....stupid ...insulting.

Eli has to leave the Giants ASAP.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau