Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 13 vs. Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    The giant disappointment that is Hundely does not reflect well on McCarthy, and his QB guru reputation is going to take a hit as a result. One cannot always make chicken salad out of chicken shit, but you would at least expect McCarthy to have known what he had in the new guy before he gets thrown in the fire.
    I agree completely. Though I count on him less for recognition of talent and more on development. The fact that this is Year 3 is the damming part.

I am down to about 15% chance of Hundley developing some sort of functional game. But its going to be running a Kaepernick offense and not Rodgers/M3 WCO.

Which is why CK should have a job and why SPRIGGS WATCH will return next week because we need a return on that investment of talent. Sorry maxie.

Talent is paramount.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    The giant disappointment that is Hundely does not reflect well on McCarthy, and his QB guru reputation is going to take a hit as a result. One cannot always make chicken salad out of chicken shit, but you would at least expect McCarthy to have known what he had in the new guy before he gets thrown in the fire.
    Agreed. I kind of figured Hundley for what he is and felt Stubby was taking a huge gamble that Arod wouldn't go down like he did. That feeling was mitigated by Hundley's ability to run the ball. I figured if Arod did go down our best chance to win was letting Hundley use his legs. But apparently Stubby put the kibosh on that fearing Hundley would get hurt and, apparently, having no confidence at all in Callahan. Hundley used his legs against Tampa and it paid off. Either Stubby wanted him to or he did it on his own. I don't know.

No matter how you slice it TT and Stubby own this season. I don't even give them a pass because of injuries. All teams in the NFL suffer injuries [or losses due to suspensions, etc] to key players. How coaches and management deal with it is on them.

As fans, we can bitch and moan and put in our two cents with hindsight allowed. But management and the HC have to make real decisions and live with them...and bear the consequences.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Which is why CK should have a job and why SPRIGGS WATCH will return next week because we need a return on that investment of talent. Sorry maxie.

Talent is paramount.
    Really, my only objection was that I found myself reading too much and not focusing on the game. LOL I vote for a brief summation.

Maybe I'm just getting old and the old hand-eye coordination is going...
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Hundley is what he is - a marginal back up NFL QB. He started the season with minimal experience in the NFL. Against back ups and vanilla defenses he looked great his first preseason playing roughly half the time in 4 preseason games. He was injured his 2nd preseason and played in one game throwing for 67 yards. This year he again played about half the time and was very average.

People on this board thought he was worth a high draft pick in trade value based on his first preseason, having never started an NFL game. Realistically, he may have been worth a 4th round pick if he never started. Unfortunately, he now has starting experience and has gone 2-5 playing 6 3/4 games. He is worth nothing on the open market, but he still has value to the Packers. He is probably the 2nd best backup Rodgers has ever had and has a chance to progress to be the best backup in the Rodgers era because he has the ability to run the read option.

There is a decent chance he could end up 3-5 after the Browns game as a starter. Truth is that a good backup on a good team can play .500 ball with the starter sidelined for a short duration. I believe that would be his ceiling, to play .500 ball as a short duration backup on a good team. He is not a starter in my opinion. I don't believe he would be as good as Geno Smith if he became a starter. I don't believe he would be as good as Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick if he became a starter. I do think he could back up Rodgers for a few years and he would be much better than Tolzien, Wallace, Young, Harrell, or Brohm. That gives him value in my opinion.

I also don't think of Hundley's progression as an indictment to MM and TT. Hundley is a 5th round pick that was taken to be Rodgers' backup. I never heard any coach say that he was drafted to be Rodgers' successor. It was only after one good preseason that some fans felt that Rodgers could be traded and Hundley could be installed as the starter. Truth is, Hundley has progressed to where the team can win games with him as a starter. He is beginning to reach his potential even with the accuracy issues and the rest of his limitations.

Sometimes you don't know until you actual throw them into the fire. He might be one of those guys who is fine at practice and the preseason but stinks once the real bullets fly. We are going to need to draft another QB to groom behind AR this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Agreed. I kind of figured Hundley for what he is and felt Stubby was taking a huge gamble that Arod wouldn't go down like he did. That feeling was mitigated by Hundley's ability to run the ball. I figured if Arod did go down our best chance to win was letting Hundley use his legs. But apparently Stubby put the kibosh on that fearing Hundley would get hurt and, apparently, having no confidence at all in Callahan. Hundley used his legs against Tampa and it paid off. Either Stubby wanted him to or he did it on his own. I don't know.

No matter how you slice it TT and Stubby own this season. I don't even give them a pass because of injuries. All teams in the NFL suffer injuries [or losses due to suspensions, etc] to key players. How coaches and management deal with it is on them.

As fans, we can bitch and moan and put in our two cents with hindsight allowed. But management and the HC have to make real decisions and live with them...and bear the consequences.
    I didn't mind Ted and Mike concentrating on beefing up other positions besides the backup QB. Almost every team in the league will suffer when they lose their starting QB. We gambled and lost. And we don't have a lot of draft capital invested in Hundley. He was a 5th rounder for a reason. Now we have to try and get another one to develop behind Rodgers. This is supposed to be a decent QB class coming up so we should be able to find someone better this time in the later rounds.

I have a feeling that things are not going to be status quo on Lombardi Avenue this off-season. We may be seeing a whole lot of reconfiguration, not just a search for a new backup QB. I hope that Murphy is up to the task of picking a capable GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I didn't mind Ted and Mike concentrating on beefing up other positions besides the backup QB. Almost every team in the league will suffer when they lose their starting QB. We gambled and lost. And we don't have a lot of draft capital invested in Hundley. He was a 5th rounder for a reason. Now we have to try and get another one to develop behind Rodgers. This is supposed to be a decent QB class coming up so we should be able to find someone better this time in the later rounds.
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't think you go into a draft trying to find exceptional talent in the later rounds, especially at QB. You draft them when the opportunity arises, like it did with Arod. They may have to use a 1st round pick. I don't think it's an exact enough science to classify QB's as "starter" or "backup." You choose talent and hope for the best. Of course there's always a chance you'll blow a higher round pick on a guy like Brian Brohm.

Maybe we have a better chance finding an Arod successor in free agency, especially if we keep drafting in the late 20's?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I kinda feel like these threads should be renamed "More Ukulele" Banjo has played out the string.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

You put half or more of the starting QBs in the league, and virtually all of the backups into the position Hundley has been in, and they would do worse than he has done over the course of all the games he's started. Put any immobile QB behind the Packers O Line, and you have an absolute disaster. Ask any QB to thread the needle to receivers who don't get any more separation than ours do, and it's mission impossible. Put a play calling leash on any QB like Hundley has had, and they will give you a worse result.

Likely Hundley will be traded within a year. We'll see then what the market is/what others around the league think of him.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Likely Hundley will be traded within a year. We'll see then what the market is/what others around the league think of him.
    We would be lucky to get a bag of deflated footballs from NE.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    You put half or more of the starting QBs in the league, and virtually all of the backups into the position Hundley has been in, and they would do worse than he has done over the course of all the games he's started. Put any immobile QB behind the Packers O Line, and you have an absolute disaster. Ask any QB to thread the needle to receivers who don't get any more separation than ours do, and it's mission impossible. Put a play calling leash on any QB like Hundley has had, and they will give you a worse result.

Not likely he will be traded. He will test free agency after next year. He will be the backup QB for the Packers next year. He will probably re-sign with GB.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I kinda feel like these threads should be renamed "More Ukulele" Banjo has played out the string.
    We could do that if the Packers signed someone with an interesting name like Atari Bigby or Scorpio Babres again.

Come to think of it, we could just call it Nominal Geronimo.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hundley's real test will be if the Vikings want to sign him.

Packer Twitter is ALL akimbo about Capers playing his safeties back on long distance downs. However, if I am not mistaken, They only had one safety back when Whitehead let the TE go by him for an early TE. I could be mistaken as that sounds familiar from the Badger game.

But if that is the case, and Whitehead is your 3rd CB, playing safeties back doesn't seem so crazy to me.

We could do that if the Packers signed someone with an interesting name like Atari Bigby or Scorpio Babres again.

Come to think of it, we could just call it Nominal Geronimo.
    Gernominal?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Packer Twitter is ALL akimbo about Capers playing his safeties back on long distance downs. However, if I am not mistaken, They only had one safety back when Whitehead let the TE go by him for an early TE. I could be mistaken as that sounds familiar from the Badger game.

But if that is the case, and Whitehead is your 3rd CB, playing safeties back doesn't seem so crazy to me.
    I just love those plays where the corner gives the receiver a soft bump and turns him over to the safety - and there's no safety.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I just love those plays where the corner gives the receiver a soft bump and turns him over to the safety - and there's no safety.
    There is a name for that. It is called the Hawthorne coverage.

There is a name for that. It is called the Hawthorne coverage.
    its called the capers d