Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Bucs

Studs And Duds - Packers vs. Bucs

B]Studs[/B]

Jamaal Williams - 113 rushing yards, 1 TD, lots of broken tackles.

Aaron Jones - Only 1 carry, but a great outside cut for the game winner

Dean Lowry - 62 yard return for TD and a sack.

Blake Martinez - 12 tackles, 1 PD, blew p a screen all by himself.

Clay Matthews - 7 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 TFL, 3 QB hits. Welcome back Clay.

Kenny Clark - 6 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 TFL

Duds

Hundley - 85 yards passing, 1 INT. Final drive doesn't rescue his day.

HHCD and Burnett - They both made tackles, but seemed out of position in passing game.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Another Stud:

pbmax, for all that typing and thinking at the same time in the game thread. A superhuman effort [only icksnay on the Spriggsnay next weeknay]
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Studs - Packers. This was to be the Final Rites

Duds - That other team from down South that was supposed to have all the answers.

The packer run defense was weak. Not sure where dud lies.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Stud: Banjo, caused a fumble today
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    The packer run defense was weak. Not sure where dud lies.
    Some of that is Capers and the weak fronts he likes to play, but regardless of personnel on either side - Martinez and Ryan were pathetic.

I just FF'd and slo-mo'd thru the game... neither one of those guys should be starting in the NFL. Probably not good enough to be backups on most teams... but, of course, we're stuck with them like we're stuck with Randall and Capers. None of those guys is going anywhere, anytime soon.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Another Stud:

pbmax, for all that typing and thinking at the same time in the game thread. A superhuman effort [only icksnay on the Spriggsnay next weeknay]
    I am a lot less enthusiastic now for him than I was prior to the log. Kinda brutal. He's going to get to start, but if Baranczyk in his film breakdown said he was limiting the Packer offense to certain calls, I would believe it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Duds: whoever had responsibilities for covering screens.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Some of that is Capers and the weak fronts he likes to play, but regardless of personnel on either side - Martinez and Ryan were pathetic.

I just FF'd and slo-mo'd thru the game... neither one of those guys should be starting in the NFL. Probably not good enough to be backups on most teams... but, of course, we're stuck with them like we're stuck with Randall and Capers. None of those guys is going anywhere, anytime soon.
    Seriously you are worse than a broken clock. In this case, you ring for the second half performance.

In the first half those horrid ILBs allowed 13 carries to go for 41 yards, an average of 3.2 ypc.

In the second half, Clark and Ryan got hurt and were replaced by Dial and Joe Thomas. Matthews also spent some time inside and the Bucs figured out something in their run game.

Second half they were 22 for 124, 5.6 ypc. For the game, those horrid ILBs, even injured, allowed 4.7 ypc.

For the season, Packers Run D is 7th best in the League at -19.8 DVOA. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamece...B_Gamebook.pdf
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    B]Studs[/B]
    Dean Lowry - 62 yard return for TD and a sack.
    NFL.com says Lowry's ran a 4.87 40 at the combine, damn fast for a 300 pounder!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Seriously you are worse than a broken clock. In this case, you ring for the second half performance.

In the first half those horrid ILBs allowed 13 carries to go for 41 yards, an average of 3.2 ypc.

In the second half, Clark and Ryan got hurt and were replaced by Dial and Joe Thomas. Matthews also spent some time inside and the Bucs figured out something in their run game.

Second half they were 22 for 124, 5.6 ypc. For the game, those horrid ILBs, even injured, allowed 4.7 ypc.

For the season, Packers Run D is 7th best in the League at -19.8 DVOA. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamece...B_Gamebook.pdf
    The tape don't lie... they can't play. Both Ryan and Martinez are poor players.

Perhaps better coaching, a new DC, and a new scheme can help, but I doubt it. They lack instincts and anticipation.

Good for homers like you though max... you got the defense and the DC you like.

-----------------

Here's a question for you...

Barber caught a screen pass for 34 yds (2nd or 3rd Qtr I think) nary a Packer on the screen. Watching that play unfold, who is at fault on the Packer defense??

Ryan?? As he turned his back to the LOS after he realized it wasn't a run, and had no clue as to what was actually happening on the play. Do the Packers defensive coaches really teach their LB's to transition from their 1st responsibility to their second, in this case underneath coverage on the crossing route, by completely turning their back on the play??

Or,

Capers and the coaching staff?? Whose scheme and play call put Ryan in that position??

Or,

Is no one at fault, as relatively uncontested 34 yd gains are acceptable, as long as it doesn't result in a score??
    wist

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Seriously you are worse than a broken clock.
    get him a SPRIGGS™ watch!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I found Josh Jones to be in a weird spot several times when I might have expected safety support. That's one possibility.

But it could be Martinez or Ryan. Send me the playtime and I will queue it up and look for you.
    Last edited by pbmax; 12-04-2017 at 12:28 PM.

I found Josh Jones to be in a weird spot several times when I might have expected safety support. That's one possibility.

But it could be Martinez or Ryan. Send me the playtime and I will queue it up and look for you.
    7:12 left in the 2nd... just before Lowry's return.

On the bright side Ryan did make the tackle... 34 yds downfield, lol...
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    The tape don't lie... they can't play. Both Ryan and Martinez are poor players.

Perhaps better coaching, a new DC, and a new scheme can help, but I doubt it. They lack instincts and anticipation.

Good for homers like you though max... you got the defense and the DC you like.

-----------------

Here's a question for you...

Barber caught a screen pass for 34 yds (2nd or 3rd Qtr I think) nary a Packer on the screen. Watching that play unfold, who is at fault on the Packer defense??

Ryan?? As he turned his back to the LOS after he realized it wasn't a run, and had no clue as to what was actually happening on the play. Do the Packers defensive coaches really teach their LB's to transition from their 1st responsibility to their second, in this case underneath coverage on the crossing route, by completely turning their back on the play??

Or,

Capers and the coaching staff?? Whose scheme and play call put Ryan in that position??

Or,

Is no one at fault, as relatively uncontested 34 yd gains are acceptable, as long as it doesn't result in a score??
    Martinez is a poor player??

Studs- Williams...hard aggressive running all day.
    O-line......managed to create enough wiggle room in the run game in spite of zero passing game.
    Jones- Made your opportunity count.
    Clay-active, aggressive, productive.
    Randall- quick, reactive enough to make a few key plays.
    Lowery- play of the game.
    Duds- Hundley-Easy throws missed. 70 yds passing in 4. quarters of nfl football is just pathetic and inexcusable.
    Haha- become my least favorite packer to watch. Lazy, soft, always out of position.
    Jordy- kind of an asterisk on this one. He's paid his dues, but he is just a shell of his former self. No speed no separation.
    Cobb- other than a mindless busted coverage the guy has been 100% invisible for weeks. Non factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Martinez is a poor player??
    No instincts... not a play maker.

Very pedestrian player.
    wist

Let's just note something up front: we have drifted from the original point.

Harlan: The packer run defense was weak. Not sure where dud lies.

wist: Some of that is Capers and the weak fronts he likes to play, but regardless of personnel on either side - Martinez and Ryan were pathetic.
    So we are now onto screens. He is a screenshot of the play in the second quarter with 7:12 or so left in the half.

Ryan peels back straight and does not keep his eyes in the backfield as wist noted and as Martinez and Jones both do. But there is a reason. His zone is immediately threatened by receiver. He's hustling back to cover him.

The Bucs know this is going to happen which is why they leak the RB out to the weak side of the defense. They have occupied the onside ILB. The offside ILB (Ponch) along with the box safety (Jones) have to cross the field to make a play. Its very well designed. Now Ryan would be well served to not buy the run fake as much and retreat with a backpedal, but he knows there is a receiver headed for his zone and wide open. So he takes care of Job #1 (run), then Job #2 (zone space). Eyes forward would help but it would still be his third key.

The real culprit is Morgan Burnett who is at first mesmerized by the receiver crossing into Ryan and then takes a baffling angle around the blocker to leave the RB an unimpeded path down the seam. Now Morgan might have been expecting inside support from Ryan, but that is a hell of a position to be in. More likely, as we saw at other times, another Packer should have been prepared to follow the back in coverage since the weak side was outnumbered.

That would be Martinez likely.

However this has nothing to do with instincts. Its technique for Ryan and recognition for Martinez. Something younger players will get better at. Or Burnett could have stepped forward instead of run around a block.

The problem I have is that since King was sidelined, this is the second game were this type of screen action has been very successful. They have to adjust or it will keep happening. Teams are successfully scheming that zone to death right now. The only upside is that if you aren't named Whitehead, they have kept the damage in front of them.

Going to need to find a replacement for photo bucket. so hold the phones

This isn't the first time they've struggled against screens. Saints did this earlier, no shock others tested the D to see if they "cleaned it up".
    Not impressed with Whitehead.

I am a lot less enthusiastic now for him than I was prior to the log. Kinda brutal. He's going to get to start, but if Baranczyk in his film breakdown said he was limiting the Packer offense to certain calls, I would believe it.
    I was with you on the Sherrod Bandwagon, but spriggs is like Fackrell. Long lanky athletic white guys who need to gain weight are bad prospects. Spriggs has no anchor. And he is surprisingly unathletic for a lanky athletic guy.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.