Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should Rodgers play even if we are eliminated from the post season?

Should Rodgers play even if we are eliminated from the post season?

Watch this clip of Cris Carter on talking about should Rodgers play even if we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkq43NIqijI

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Watch this clip of Cris Carter on talking about should Rodgers play even if we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkq43NIqijI
    What do you think?

Pretty convincing...if he’s healthy.

could go either way

yeah, if we get eliminated, whats the point of him playing?

however, how do you keep him off the field if he's healthy?

its not like he can injure it any worse and miss anything meaningful at this point

If the Packers are eliminated Rodgers collar bone will not have healed enough to get clearance to play.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    What do you think?
    I'm certainly no fan of Carter but I agree with him here.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Whether we're in the playoffs or not, if Arod is healthy and plays I think he and Stubby are going to have to do a few things differently to protect him. Arod's going to have to get rid of the ball more quickly, throw it out of bounds, etc. Plus, I think he's going to have to run more conservatively, slide more quickly, etc.

Like Brady, Brees, both Mannings and guys like them who are up in age, Arod's going to have to pare it back a bit and protect himself or we'll wind up with a rerun of this season in the future.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Watch this clip of Cris Carter
    I stopped reading at this point
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post

Like Brady, Brees, both Mannings and guys like them who are up in age, Arod's going to have to pare it back a bit and protect himself or we'll wind up with a rerun of this season in the future.
    This is already a rerun. Next time around it's on Nick at Nite.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

How much money does he make per year?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I stopped reading at this point
    Did you watch it at all? Carter is a jerk but he clearly thinks highly of Rodgers and considers him the best in the game so he isn't a complete fool.

No way do they play Rodgers if they're eliminated AND he hasn't returned. If he has all-ready returned as starter, then I presume he will continue starting.

What is there to gain by playing your not-100% quarterback in a meaningless game when there is legitimate benefit to losing? Better draft picks, validating removal of underperforming staff/players, etc.

if they lose this weekend there's no reason to bring him back...unless all the other teams the Packers need to lose actually lose lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    if they lose this weekend there's no reason to bring him back...unless all the other teams the Packers need to lose actually lose lol.
    If they lose this weekend, they will still not be eliminated and Rodgers would play the next week if cleared. They'd play Carolina, one of the teams they're chasing, and head-to-head tiebreak would be pretty useful in the event they finished 9-7 and either Carolina or Seattle did also.

Carolina plays Minnesota and Seattle plays at Jacksonville, so chances are good that one of them will lose.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

There's about $18 million reasons to bring him back.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

If Aaron is cleared to play holding him back would set a bad precedence. Why should he get preferential treatment while his teammates are out there busting their tails in "meaningless" games?

Because he's Aaron Rodgers and they're not. Seriously, how is it different than holding out players before the playoffs? It's really not. This is simple. He's not getting cleared to play if he's not already cleared AND they're eliminated from contention. Money is irrelevant here.

Good topic, good thread. Lot's of different angles and takes.

If GB is eliminated, don't TT and MM want to work the team to figure out where the starting point is for next year? If so, play him. Or, maybe they want to see if Brett H continues to make progress in his game, so don't play him. How is the O Line producing for all the young running backs, different looks, different conditions? Then maybe play him conservatively.

If AR is truly healed and ready to go, he's going to want to play no matter what - just a winner's mentality.

Even if Rodgers is ready, I say start Geno Smith. We want to win games here.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Even if Rodgers is ready, I say start Geno Smith. We want to win games here.
    Hair care products to the rescue!!