Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: September 11, 2001.....We Remember

Senior Rat HOFer the_idle_threat's Avatar
    Amen to that.

First heard about it when my plane was waiting for the hatch to open. I had just flown to Spain for a golf tournament. I was in the air when it happened.

A girl in 1st class was on her cell...She kept repeating what she was being told in utter disbelief. She was loud.

I remember thinking "typical rich bitch, why does she need the drugs". I could not believe it was even halfway true. A companion rang her hubby, just as the second tower was hit. She screamed. All of the passengers became uneasy.

We were still locked up in the plane and everybody looked like a terrorist, even friends that we'd known for years. Even I looked like a terrorist to others. Word had spread all the way to the back rows of the plane.

The hatch finally opened and thank God I was in Spain. You can smoke immediately after getting of the aircraft in Spain. I remember drawing on my cigarette. My brand is called "Peter Stuyvesant". Named after the guy that founded New York in 1653. It says so on the pack. I remember the irony of that moment.

I was travelling with a friend. He is an Iranian. While we were in the taxi Que, he kept saying "please don't let any if the terrorists be Iranian". He knew, in an instant that his home was now the object of war plans. He was beginning to mentally move assets, family and friends to "higher ground". 40 days and nights of torrential downpour impended.

We got into the taxi. Our luggage barely fit. I speak enough Spanish to know, the taxi driver was completely oblivious to the shattering world events. I speak zero Spanish, but, his demeanor was of a man more concerned with getting a big tip than anything the radio might hold in store. The radio was off.

We arrived at our 5 star hotel. We saw familiar faces in the lobby from previous tournaments. Everybody seemed to be in a daze.

I remember walking at Olympic speed to my room. I remember groping for the remote. I remember feeling helpless. Angry. I think I cried, but I'm not sure any more. I know, I knew instantly the world had changed. My Iranian friend called my room. He asked me if I thought if it was safe for him to move around the hotel.

5 years have passed very quickly without any further attacks, but we can't allow ourselves to forget what happened in its full context. It is utterly shameful and disgusting to have former President Clinton and members of his administration putting pressure on ABC because of "The Path to 9-11" program.

9-11 was a horrible wake-up call for the American public that war had already been declared on us years earlier, but our government had largely ignored it. There is plenty of blame to go around which is why these revisionist efforts are so troubling. The terrorist threat grew under a President emboiled in scandal. These facts can't be ignored or wished away.

It is human nature to try to divert blame, but we do so in this case to our own great peril. Let's hope that nothing worse than 9-11 will ever come our way again. A good prevention begins by telling the truth no matter how painful it may be.

I was actually very surprised to learn that they tried the whole airline concept again last month in the UK. Yes, it was more of a bomb related concept, but much to what Mad said previously, people aren't going to put up with anything on a plane anymore.

Just wish the Pres would have put forth the effort in Afganistan that he's put into Iraq. We might have had Bin Laden by now.

Quote Originally Posted by GBRulz
    Just wish the Pres would have put forth the effort in Afganistan that he's put into Iraq. We might have had Bin Laden by now.
    I wish this thread wouldn't have turned political. The whole Tora Bora thing was a politicized media crock, but I'll leave it at that.

I'll always remembers the fire fighters, police officers, the passengers that brought the plane down in Pennsylvania, and just every ordinary citizen who did their part (whether it was through action, prayer, or donations).

As like many of you, I was glued to the TV for hours..... the images that pissed me off the worst, where ones like these......

The Palestinian woman celebrating....

WTF is that a Bears jersey i see? More Palestinians.

how can anyone think this is something to celebrate? It's just sick.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers

I wish this thread wouldn't have turned political. The whole Tora Bora thing was a politicized media crock, but I'll leave it at that.

I'll always remembers the fire fighters, police officers, the passengers that brought the plane down in Pennsylvania, and just every ordinary citizen who did their part (whether it was through action, prayer, or donations).
    It hasn't turned political, Harvey. Nor do I want it to be that way, either. However, it's hard to discuss 9/11 without a political comment here and there, doesn't mean we're starting up FYI4 or whatever!

It hasn't turned political, Harvey. Nor do I want it to be that way, either. However, it's hard to discuss 9/11 without a political comment here and there, doesn't mean we're starting up FYI4 or whatever!
    You don't know how this works then. Good thread. Somebody says something political (Kiwon), then somebody else says something political (you), and the next thing you know is it turns political. Oh well! What are you gonna do.

WTF is that a Bears jersey i see? More Palestinians.

Yeah, the Bears better bring an AK47. They haven't got any other weapons.

LOL....

Senior Rat Veteran CyclonePackFan's Avatar
    I will never forget that day. I was walking the halls in high school, when an ex-girlfriend told me something about two planes crashing (from the way she told it, I thought two commerical airliners collided, tragic, yes, but not on the scale of what was really going on). Soon enough I was watching CNN's coverage in a state of awe. I ran the gambit of emotions that day, hatred, grief, sickness, I went through it all.

I'll never forget my first thoughts, which I expressed to a group of people who asked me what I thought (despite being a football player, for some reason I was Mr. Politics of our class. I didn't do debate or anything like that, but I gave far more of a damn about what was going on in Washington than anybody else in that school)

My first thought:

"This is our generation's Pearl Harbor. This will unite our country in a way that hasn't been seen in sixty years."

I was right.

I've always been proud of being an American. Unlike most in our country, I take pride in being a part of the first truly representative government. I vote for just about everything, from presidential to city council elections, with a joy and pride.

I have never been more proud of being an American than I was when I watched our nation unite and respond to that fateful day. The unity, the nationalism, the patriotism, it was the most incredible thing I've ever seen.

I remember watching football the weekend after. The first game, and Chris Gizzi leading the Packers on to the field Monday Night. I remember Paul Tagliabue sending the message of 'we will not be afraid' when he told America that we're going to play football, because that's what America needs.

I remember everyone singing "I'm proud to be an American" in unison.

Sadly, to some extent, we have forgotten. Not the date or the event, but what that date means.

I remember walking into parking lots and seeing those little car window flags on almost every car. I will roam through the tailgate lots today and not see a one.

September 11 brought out the best in all of us. Unfortunately, since then we've also had to see some of the worst in us.

It's been used as a scapegoat, and as a lightning rod for petty partisan bickering. I don't want to turn this political, so that's all I have to say about that.

I'm running short on time, I'd really like to make this longer, but I've got to go celebrate our country with it's sport, and watch us trounce UNLV.

Thank you to the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country and our freedoms.

Never forget. Not what happened, but never forget what it MEANT. How that day made you FEEL. NEVER forget the PRIDE you felt in where you come from, and keep that pride alive every single day. Be thankful, you live in the greatest country in the world, with the freedom to watch football, say whatever you want, and pursue happiness.

I will always remember....

CyclonePackFan

We should drop about 1000 daisy cutters on western Pakistan to commemorate the event Monday night.

You don't know how this works then. Good thread. Somebody says something political (Kiwon), then somebody else says something political (you), and the next thing you know is it turns political. Oh well! What are you gonna do.

DING DING DING, give Harvey the prize.....

not sure what the prize is for....but ok

not sure what the prize is for....but ok

Prize is for being 100% right....hmmm, should have quoted him I guess....LOL...

His comment was on political comments in a thread and how it morphs.

yeah....don't ya hate when a couple comments can throw a whole topic off?

...like football threads turning into tennis threads,

Nah, I don't mind that. Happens all of the time. Apples to oranges. I just hate when a good well-meaning thread gets politicized and morphs into FYI. Not to single you out. I'm sure I've done it before. You aren't even the first one to do it in this thread. I just hope the gist of this thread sticks. It's a good thread.

When does that 9/11 show come on ABC that Clinton is trying to have canned? I am interested in seeing it.

Nah, I don't mind that. Happens all of the time. Apples to oranges. I just hate when a good well-meaning thread gets politicized and morphs into FYI. Not to single you out. I'm sure I've done it before. You aren't even the first one to do it in this thread. I just hope the gist of this thread sticks. It's a good thread.

The only thing I hate worse than political threadjacking is the god damned liberal democrats.

But I digress.

9/11 should be remembered by the terrorists the same way Pearl Harbor is remembered by the Japenese. It might have seemed like a good idea to our enemies at the time, but in the end they just woke the sleeping giant and began their own demise.

It is a good thread, Harvey. I could elaborate as well where and what I was doing on 9-11 and how it affected me. But it's impossible to just remember the victims and not to remember the terrorists also.

Our country was attacked and anyone who pays attention knows that the target was not just The Twins Towers but America itself, our lifestyle, our culture, and our history. It was a call to action and people like Pat Tillman bravely responded by joining the fight.

The politicizing of the event is what I am decrying. ABC wants to tell a story about what led up to 9-11 and President Clinton and his Democratic supporters are working overtime to pressure them to pull the whole show for fear that it will make them look bad. http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/election..._abc_yank_film

But 9-11 did not happen in a vacuum. There are backgrounds behind it and government failures that span both Republican and Democratic administrations. That's why Clinton's efforts to kill the project are so troubling. They would rather you not see the show and remember the victims than accept any responsibility for what happened on their watch. They are the ones politicizing the event and I find that disgusting and cowardly.

You can't prevent another 9-11 without looking back at what caused it in the first place. I agree that this is a "good well-meaning thread" but I for one can't separate the central event from its corollaries. In fact, it's wrong to try.

The victims of 9-11 and their families deserve the truth and not government cover-ups. That's the best way to honor their memories.