Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Shazier

read they surgically stabilized his spine. a neurologist (not associated with the case) said that's a bad sign in his opinion. that it's probably more than a contusion.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    nm
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    And Sterljng sharpe. Stenosis.

My childhood friend was a Badger offensive lineman (ahead of Tauscher on depth chart). Same thing. Small hit. Loss of feeling. Ended his career.
    Your childhood friend was Aaron Gibson?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

From a team's perspective, losing somebody permanently - like Collins for the Packers - messes things up because it is can't really be planned for like age and contract expiration.

From a player's perspective (and I expect what I say to generate a bunch of hate, but I'll say it anyway), they are paid absolutely huge amounts, even lesser players, to go out there and play a game that many of us would love to play for nothing or a tiny fraction as much. Injuries, even career ending, even injuries that mess up their future lives, are the risk they take. They know that risk going in, and if they don't want the risk, they can just quit and get a real job for a tiny tiny fraction of what they make in the NFL.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    From a team's perspective, losing somebody permanently - like Collins for the Packers - messes things up because it is can't really be planned for like age and contract expiration.

From a player's perspective (and I expect what I say to generate a bunch of hate, but I'll say it anyway), they are paid absolutely huge amounts, even lesser players, to go out there and play a game that many of us would love to play for nothing or a tiny fraction as much. Injuries, even career ending, even injuries that mess up their future lives, are the risk they take. They know that risk going in, and if they don't want the risk, they can just quit and get a real job for a tiny tiny fraction of what they make in the NFL.
    Yeah, those practice squad guys are making an absolute killing week to week.

And none of you would play professional football for free. None of you are that stupid.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Michele Steele @ESPNMichele
    Just got off phone w neurologist Dr Anthony Alessi, who consults w NFLPA, asked him what he makes of Shazier's spinal stabilization surgery. "It's not good...We're not going to see him this season. He may not play football again."

I don't think this tells us anything more, other than confirming that stabilization surgery is not a good sign for his medium to long term playing prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Your childhood friend was Aaron Gibson?
    Nope. But I knew Gibby in college. And Ron Dayne. And Greisen, etc.

Did Aaron have stenosis too?

My friend is terry Stephan out of Germantown wi.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.
    Vince Lombardi

"Not really interested in being a spoiler or an underdog. We're the Green Bay Packers." McCarthy.

Just got off phone w neurologist Dr Anthony Alessi, who consults w NFLPA, asked him what he makes of Shazier's spinal stabilization surgery. "It's not good...We're not going to see him this season. He may not play football again."

I don't think this tells us anything more, other than confirming that stabilization surgery is not a good sign for his medium to long term playing prospects.
    The follow-up tweet gives a clearer indication of the potential seriousness of the injury:

Alessi says surgery is needed when the “bones around his spinal cord are dislocated. This is a more severe injury (than a contusion.)”

“This is a much more severe situation on our hands than we thought.”
    — Michele Steele (@ESPNMichele) December 7, 2017
    Hopefully this was all done in time to save his ability to walk.

Also given this situation, I wonder if Shazier's flipping himself over after the injury did him more damage. There have been other situations where the medical people strap a board to a guy and then flip him over so the possibly damaged spine doesn't get injured further.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

The reason uw brought Tauscher back for that 5/6th yr was because terry Stephan got hurt.

http://journaltimes.com/fate-deals-t...a43956274.html

And none of you would play professional football for free. None of you are that stupid.
    I checked his post. He never said free. I bet if someone dragged 200000/year through a trailer park you’d get a lot of people interested in playing.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I checked his post. He never said free. I bet if someone dragged 200000/year through a trailer park you’d get a lot of people interested in playing.
    Edit: oops he said nothing. Ya with people making a lot around you there’s no way you play for nothing. It makes you look like a rube.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    From a player's perspective (and I expect what I say to generate a bunch of hate, but I'll say it anyway), they are paid absolutely huge amounts, even lesser players, to go out there and play a game that many of us would love to play for nothing or a tiny fraction as much.
    I think nothing and free are pretty close synonyms.

$200,000 per year sounds wonderful, but if you are injured and released needing further medical care, you have to pay for the insurance coverage after you are released plus whatever is out of pocket. And since that $200,000 is not guaranteed, you might be paying for that care with $7,200 in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post

Also given this situation, I wonder if Shazier's flipping himself over after the injury did him more damage. There have been other situations where the medical people strap a board to a guy and then flip him over so the possibly damaged spine doesn't get injured further.
    i thought the same thing when i saw the video, he very well could have done major damage rolling over

although, if it was you or me, we probably would have done the same thing. i know with me, the first thing i do automatically when i'm hurt is to stand up and walk around, for some reason i think if i can walk it off then i'm fine. that didn't work too well when i tried to "walk it off", when my foot broke away from the rest of my body a few years back. but it did give me an image i'll never forget

i doubt he even realized there was a problem with his legs until he did roll over

its just scary, and something that could happen to any player on almost any play

Is $200,000 what practice squad guys get? That's a LOT for regular people, a damn lot, and upward steeply from there. True, it's not enough to get messed up for life, but figuring in the very small likelihood of anything serious enough to do that, it's easily a risk worth taking - and if somebody thinks it's not, I say again, he can quit and get a real job - a lot less fun in virtually all cases, and a tiny fraction of the money.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Is $200,000 what practice squad guys get? That's a LOT for regular people, a damn lot, and upward steeply from there. True, it's not enough to get messed up for life, but figuring in the very small likelihood of anything serious enough to do that, it's easily a risk worth taking - and if somebody thinks it's not, I say again, he can quit and get a real job - a lot less fun in virtually all cases, and a tiny fraction of the money.
    If you have a contract in the offseason, you can approach $200,000 for the years before veteran minimums kick in. But PS players get $7,200 per week. I don't know what undrafted rookies get in the offseason though. Problem with being young and injured though is that your odds of getting cut and not reaching the minimum are much higher.

The difference between good and not good in this case won't be measured by how soon (or whether) Shazier returns to the field.

If you have a contract in the offseason, you can approach $200,000 for the years before veteran minimums kick in. But PS players get $7,200 per week. I don't know what undrafted rookies get in the offseason though. Problem with being young and injured though is that your odds of getting cut and not reaching the minimum are much higher.
    i think that is for the week, just during the season. i don't think they get paid during the offseason

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i think that is for the week, just during the season. i don't think they get paid during the offseason
    I think it varies. Some PS guys do sign as UDFAs and get bonuses plus the minimum contract. Some are FAs signed near or in camp.

Each has the minimum contract, but I am not sure what the schedule of payments is. So Rand might be right about the absolute minimum being 200K, but if payments are made August through January/February, then you won't see a dime beyond that $5,000 signing bonus until camp.

You get hurt and that is 5 months on $5,000 plus one weekly check.

Pretty sure you overestimate a good many posters around here.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I think it varies. Some PS guys do sign as UDFAs and get bonuses plus the minimum contract. Some are FAs signed near or in camp.

Each has the minimum contract, but I am not sure what the schedule of payments is. So Rand might be right about the absolute minimum being 200K, but if payments are made August through January/February, then you won't see a dime beyond that $5,000 signing bonus until camp.

You get hurt and that is 5 months on $5,000 plus one weekly check.
    no, he's not right

PS players get at minimum 7,200 dollars per week, for 17 weeks, and only 17 weeks. so the average PS players makes 122,400 a year. nfl players get paid 17 weeks out of the year, not weekly like everyone else. however players do get a little cash during training camp and preseason, which is about $1,000 a week for first year players and less then $2,000 a week for vets

if an undrafted free agent signs a 300,000 deal after the draft, but ends up on the PS, he's only going to make 122,400, NOT 300,000. PS guys are released, and then re signed. if they get called back up to the real roster, then he signs a new contract

no packer PS player was making more then 7,200 a week this year, so no, PS players don't often get paid more then the minimum

and to tex's point, thats still damn good money for most of us
    Last edited by red; 12-08-2017 at 07:02 PM.