• Keep Both

6 35.29%
  • Cut Both

4 23.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2018: Nelson or Cobb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    That would put about $40mil at the WR position for next season. Doesn’t seem likely
    I have been thinking about this as well....MM is a decent WR and just might flip back there.

I could see Jordy taking re doing his contract and Cobb let go.

We can't pay about 35-40G at this position.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

That would put about $40mil at the WR position for next season. Doesn’t seem likely
    I invoke the rule of KGB. Until you can replace him, you pay him
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

It's all about the cost to keep them. Both of them have been exposed as being nothing special without Aaron Rodgers. I don't think we would be distinctly worse off with somebody else replacing them. Ideally, we get one or more WRs who are capable of getting separation from DBs regularly, but there aren't that many of them around.

This reminds me of the Packers DB situation - we have a lot of guys who would be adequate #2 Corners, but no star shut down guy. Similarly, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, and the rest all are adequate but not star quality and not worth breaking the bank to keep.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jerry Rice* 2002 40 OAK NFL 16 16 150 92 1211 13.16 7 75.7 61.3% 8.07

Fucking A
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I don't think they'll cut either of them because last year if the next year of both of their deals. I don't see Cobb being extended again unless it's for dramatically less money. I could see Nelson redoing his deal and adding a year to it, so 2018 and 2019 at 3-5M per year so he can retire a Packer.

one thing about cutting then is , why do we need too?

sure the guys are under performing greatly, but as it stands right now, without cutting anyone or re signing anyone, we're looking at somewhere between 30-40 million in free cap space

morgan burnett, davonte and linsley are the only big free agents. they aren't gonna take up 30 million. if we give a-rod another 5 million a year we might take up 20 million against next years cap.

and after the mess with FA this year, i doubt TT will jump back in with both feet. so that still leaves us with a lot of cap space

we really don't need to cut anyone, no matter how shitty they are

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

sure the guys are under performing greatly, but as it stands right now, without cutting anyone or re signing anyone, we're looking at somewhere between 30-40 million in free cap space

morgan burnett, davonte and linsley are the only big free agents. they aren't gonna take up 30 million. if we give a-rod another 5 million a year we might take up 20 million against next years cap.

and after the mess with FA this year, i doubt TT will jump back in with both feet. so that still leaves us with a lot of cap space

Ah yes, a very sad sad commentary on the current state of the Green Bay packers...

How many WRs do we normally keep, 4/5? If we put $40M at this position isn't that around 10M per player? Looking at it that way 40M doesn't seem like an exorbitant amount.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

The thing we never here about as fans is when the team asks players to take a pay cut or be released and the player chooses the pay cut. No agent is going to brag about the great deal they got their client.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Packers “restructure” Clay because the cap hit is gone after this year. He is underperforming his contract.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    Ah yes, a very sad sad commentary on the current state of the Green Bay packers...
    Let us not be downhearted. One total catastrophe like this is just the beginning!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Just think if the Packers cut either Cobb or Nelson and the player they replace them with does well but not great. A certain group of posters will complain that TT will not surround ARod with the talent he needs.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    A certain group of posters will complain that TT will not surround ARod with the talent he needs.
    no way that happens here
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I invoke the rule of KGB. Until you can replace him, you pay him
    Get them back for 'the one shot Rip' next Season.

The Window and Aaron Rodgers is closing and may have already closed in Green Bay.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    no way that happens here
    Sure it does, I’ve even seen it as someone’s signature on this website to remind us.

-Tim Harmston

Just think if the Packers cut either Cobb or Nelson and the player they replace them with does well but not great. A certain group of posters will complain that TT will not surround ARod with the talent he needs.
    Put me on 'the List'.

I am a Packer fan that expects what I expect of myself.

Perfection or close to perfection as a Competitor. I don't compete to lose but rather win.

I want a real Super Bowl competitive Packer Team not a wanna be.

TT has not demonstrated that he's the GM that will help Aaron Rodgers win that second Super Bowl Ring.

His so deemed 'Draft and Develop Program' is overall 'a Fail' in my view. For all of the Rah Rah and TT's prowess as a Draft Expert:

I don't see it that way.

I'll shout to the Heavens when TT and MM and Dom Capers are all gone.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

The thing we never here about as fans is when the team asks players to take a pay cut or be released and the player chooses the pay cut. No agent is going to brag about the great deal they got their client.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the Packers “restructure” Clay because the cap hit is gone after this year. He is underperforming his contract.

Originally Posted by swede
    " A billion monkeys on a billion keyboards will eventually write a Shakespearean play.
    Twenty monkeys in twenty minutes could probably manage a Woodbuck post."
    It took only one Poster (ThunderDan) to elect to disrespect himself; by carrying around such an immature uncool example of his obvious 'bad manners' as this':

" A billion monkeys on a billion keyboards will eventually write a Shakespearean play.Twenty monkeys in twenty minutes could probably manage a Woodbuck post."
    Quote Originally Posted by swede

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    It took only one Poster (ThunderDan) to elect to disrespect himself; by carrying around such an immature uncool example of his obvious 'bad manners' as this':

" A billion monkeys on a billion keyboards will eventually write a Shakespearean play.Twenty monkeys in twenty minutes could probably manage a Woodbuck post."
    Quote Originally Posted by swede
    seems sarcastic

lol, thats a great line though

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    How many WRs do we normally keep, 4/5? If we put $40M at this position isn't that around 10M per player? Looking at it that way 40M doesn't seem like an exorbitant amount.
    I think, and I could be wrong, that the money guys assign a dollar figure to each position group. Hard to take up 30% of the cap on a group that’s not tops in the NFL. Next year the QB spot will take up $25 or more. The OLB group be at $25 or more. Those 3 groups would then leave $35mil for the rest of the team. Doesn’t seem like the math would work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Still no answer to question "Why are WRs so young in 2018?" There have been many past greats mentioned, but it looks like there's been a change. Is it the salary cap? The way WRs are used? You might expect WRs to last longer with the Chuck Cecils gone. Or maybe just a statistical quirk of this year. Jordy is an outlier now.