Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
pb, How come in the cluster at the top of the screen there are three Packer defenders on two Browns receivers? It seems like when Crowell breaks down the sideline no Packer goes with him.
Its not the teaching film you want for extended play coverage, but its pretty typical. Both Wilde and Huber are using it as evidence that the Defense might not even be able to be saved by Rodgers. Which is funny for Wilde who doesn't like to write X and O stuff because he knows he is out of his depth. That is not a slam, he has talked out it before. Its a tough beat to write because you are doing two jobs and you need to consult people outside the org to get answers.

The early portion of the video backs up to the earliest part of the clip (7 seconds in maybe). Three receivers up there, three DBs. Kizer has already half rolled out to his right/Defense left. That drew players up. Which put that RB even with the Packer outside DB.

He wanted to go to Gordon, but Randall was doing a veteran hold/blanket. But he could not setup to throw to another receiver as he had two Packers on him, so he retreats.

Packer CB forgets all about the RB at this point. Its not good coverage, but in an extended play with the QB running, DBs are trying to read the QB because the play has broken down and whatever patterns were being run are now being adjusted.

Kizer might have been trying to get to that side of the field, I did not get that sense from the TV angles but it looks like that is where his head was aiming at as he retreats. I don't think he is going down the middle deep as that coverage isn't terrible even if the WR has a step and a half. It would be a better than 40 yard throw while going backward.

The play was all Matthews and a nice jump ball catch from Jones. Prior to the QB retreat, it was some nice zone with good closing on their matchups. But the extended play coverage I bet is pretty typical not an indicator of the ruination of the Packer D.