Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: More Banjo: Week 14 @ Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Per ESPN Stats & Info:

Overtime Record Including Playoffs - Brett Hundley: 2-0 - Aaron Rodgers: 1-7
    I want to see someone ask Rodgers about that
    Last edited by pbmax; 12-10-2017 at 07:23 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

However, Hundley as Captain Comeback (Kardiac Kids!) shows the lack of context with this stat.

McCarthy still isn't sure how to construct an entire game plan with what Hundley does well. Which is throw short outside routes and slants and some RB check downs/screens. Deep stuff and comebacks are all hit or miss, mostly miss.

So the first drive is new stuff and adjustments and with a fake punt it goes like gangbusters down the field. After that, for most of 3 quarters it looks like a death march.

Then you are desperate and the opposing defense just doesn't want to give up a big play. So McCarthy puts him in shotgun and the defense lets the short stuff go. Hundley is more comfortable in shotgun, they are 4 or 5 wide and faces less immediate pressure. He makes reads faster and gets the ball out. Instead of runs, you get screens and check downs. It works like magic.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken.

You play to win the game.
    You should be out recruiting Herm.

Jason Wahlers‏ @JTWahlers

Per Elias, for the first time in team history the Packers have had three comeback wins from 14-plus down in a single season. #Packers #GBvsCLE

Just proves this stat is terrible.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ing/937628001/

“There were a lot of good things today,” McCarthy said after the game, trying to make people forget all the bad things that happened. “We’re finding different ways to win and that’s what you have to do.

“That’s what good teams do. We’re excited to get out of here with a win, but more excited to keep playing.”
    This time, McCarthy called a misdirection play that turned into a disaster when Hundley went the wrong way and failed to pitch the ball to running back Aaron Jones.

“There are some plays leading up to that, that set that play up,” McCarthy said. “The execution wasn’t there. That’s football. There was a lot of time left. I was confident in the way we were moving the football.”

Michael Lombardi @mlombardiNFL
    Heard Ron Wolf and Bill Parcells involved in helping Browns find their man and that Sashi Brown was involved in trying to find a football guy to help. He knew, just thought he was staying. oh well.

Dorsey is a good hire. But asking these guys for a recommendation is just getting a list of their friends. Its comical. They are far better at evaluating players and coaches than themselves and their underlings.

Probably another reason Belichick beats their teams so often.

Packers played some zone, especially with Gordon in the slot, but went to Cover 2 man for the bulk of the game.

Now we just need to find out why Ha Ha is 25 yards deep.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...eck/937668001/

WesHod

Phenomenal line from David Bakhtiari to Larry McCarren, summing up the first back-to-back overtime victories in #Packers' history

"We're like a zombie. We're undead. We refuse to just go down, which is a nice characteristic you want for a team"

For the record, I saw SPRIGGS™ beat once around the edge, but he had good position and footwork the entire time, so it was a long, looping beat that gave the QB a chance to look and to step up had there not been other pressure. Believe he got the ball off a beat too late.

Also saw a down block that left someone unblocked on a run and a you go that way and I will go this way block with Evans to allow a free pass for a DL to hit the RB.

Other than that, it wasn't a tire fire.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    “That’s what good teams do. We’re excited to get out of here with a win, but more excited to keep playing.”

EVEN STUBBY KNOWS IT WAS A PLAYOFF GAME
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    There are no style points in the NFL.
    I always figured this phrase was popularized by someone who ran with the ball like Chester Marcol

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

Kaiser was the goat of the game, throwing a desperation sky ball when there was no desperation.

I remember Favre did that once or ten times.
    His arm was hit. There was a receiver on the outside, but he may have even been trying to just throw it away. Sometimes you have to take the sack.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    However, Hundley as Captain Comeback (Kardiac Kids!) shows the lack of context with this stat.

McCarthy still isn't sure how to construct an entire game plan with what Hundley does well. Which is throw short outside routes and slants and some RB check downs/screens. Deep stuff and comebacks are all hit or miss, mostly miss.

So the first drive is new stuff and adjustments and with a fake punt it goes like gangbusters down the field. After that, for most of 3 quarters it looks like a death march.

Then you are desperate and the opposing defense just doesn't want to give up a big play. So McCarthy puts him in shotgun and the defense lets the short stuff go. Hundley is more comfortable in shotgun, they are 4 or 5 wide and faces less immediate pressure. He makes reads faster and gets the ball out. Instead of runs, you get screens and check downs. It works like magic.
    he also needs to figure out at some point that the kid is just a flat out different player when he's not under center

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    he also needs to figure out at some point that the kid is just a flat out different player when he's not under center
    Yeah. Problem is that is an entirely different offense then because you need to construct a running game from shotgun and most of their better RB runs come from under center.

Further SPRIGGS update: He had one bad pass set, same as described earlier where his guy got upfield on him and chased Hundley on drive to tie game I think. Hundley salvaged the play and gained five yards.

He had a couple of nice run blocks on those two last drives. Sealed his guy up well.

Well, last week we won in spite of Hundley's bad game; This week we won because of Hundley's good game.

For most of the game, the Browns didn't play like a 0-12 team. I think horrible coaching is a large part of their problem. For most of the game, I was pissed off at McCarthy's play calling and overall competence level too. I HOPE that post on page 1 of this thread about 3 year extensions for him and Ted was pure sarcasm.

Atlanta winning Thursday and Carolina winning today was unfortunate, but it helps a lot that Seattle lost, and Detroit and Dallas winning doesn't hurt us if we win out. The season is still alive is Rodgers comes back and takes care of business for the last three games.

Win or lose, though, this season exposed what a shitty job Ted Thompson has done. If he isn't gone, I would hope he does an extremely much better job of building this team up before next season.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Further SPRIGGS update: He had one bad pass set, same as described earlier where his guy got upfield on him and chased Hundley on drive to tie game I think. Hundley salvaged the play and gained five yards.

He had a couple of nice run blocks on those two last drives. Sealed his guy up well.

Here's a crazy idea. Maybe, like Randall, he's just inexperienced and is in need of seasoning and coaching. Perhaps, after a year or two he will be a reliable starter. Perhaps the injuries to Bacteria and to Bulaga put him the starting lineup before he was ready. I know TT, Stubby, Campen and all the rest should be flogged and shunned for him not playing better, but there might just be a typical normal explanation that doesn't involve hyperbole like TT has done a 'shitty job.' Because if TT is (hyperbole) horrible, terrible, etc. etc., then there's no adjectives left for Sashi Brown, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Here's a crazy idea. Maybe, like Randall, he's just inexperienced and is in need of seasoning and coaching. Perhaps, after a year or two he will be a reliable starter. Perhaps the injuries to Bacteria and to Bulaga put him the starting lineup before he was ready. I know TT, Stubby, Campen and all the rest should be flogged and shunned for him not playing better, but there might just be a typical normal explanation that doesn't involve hyperbole like TT has done a 'shitty job.' Because if TT is (hyperbole) horrible, terrible, etc. etc., then there's no adjectives left for Sashi Brown, right?
    It is unrealistic for fans to expect young players to be All-Pros right away.

He needed time and snaps to improve. True of almost any player early in career.

His first reps at Guard as a rookie looked promising even if he occasionally whiffed. He looked like a fighter and had an attitude in there.

My concern with Spriggs was that he looked lost and unsure back out at Tackle. Which is not how good tackles in the first two rounds normally look out of the gate. There wasn't anything solid to his game at the start. He struggled to find a pass set he could work with and was so concerned by speed he got beat with inside counter moves. So it looked like there wasn't a decent baseline to start with.

Now he seems much more comfortable mirroring speed rushes up the field and isn't as susceptible to inside moves. He needs to work on his hands, but he looks much more solid to me now after a couple full game starts. Its a good sign.

The other weird thing is that he and Jahri need mediation or something when deciding which direction to block. 3 times a game it looks like two different calls between them. The kid is young though and Gregg Williams was throwing all kinds of fronts out there to send blitzes from strange places. He'll catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    All pros at every position at every tier on the depth chart. Anything else just proves that they don’t want to win at 1265.