Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32

Thread: Official Packers - Panthers Game Day Thread

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    We have played like shit. Spare me this moral victory nonsense. Season on the line, the win was available
    It ain’t moral victory. It’s the truth. We played them tight and had a chance to tie the game in the last 2 minutes. We played poorly and we still could have gotten the win.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Yeah let's pray for that. Because this is obviously a team poised to make it to the super bowl.
    Regardless, win or lose, every game day thread, almost every post, you and several others are just absolute bitter pills to swallow. Thanks for all the fun. The "Fire so-and-so" posts add so much to the experience. Great job everybody!

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    It ain’t moral victory. It’s the truth. We played them tight and had a chance to tie the game in the last 2 minutes. We played poorly and we still could have gotten the win.
    Coulda...woulda...shoulda.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Regardless, win or lose, every game day thread, almost every post, you and several others are just absolute bitter pills to swallow. Thanks for all the fun. The "Fire so-and-so" posts add so much to the experience. Great job everybody!

You are that guy that matches one number and tells people you almost won the lottery, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    You are that guy that matches one number and tells people you almost won the lottery, aren't you?
    no, that's a strawman. I just hate most of your posts. And Yeti, and others because they're absurdly negative and pointless. . That's why I mostly stay out of the game day thread. I concede that I'm no paragon of football posting virtue either, if you're gonna go that route. But, it's annoying even to post about this, so this is my last post on the subject
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    I keep looking at the talent on defense and I can't believe we play as poorly as we do. Matthews, Perry, Brooks, and Martinez at LB. Burnett, Dix, Jones, and Randall as DBs. Daniels and Clark on the DL. Even the backups have some ability.

Why do we keep making coverage mistakes? Why are RBs and TEs ALWAYS open? Can these players not understand the defense that's been called? Is it so difficult that they don't know who to cover? Why do the same plays work every week against this defense?

Do our coaches not look at film and teach the players where to go and who to cover? Can they simplify it so that the same mistakes are not made?

Our bad plays on defense seems to be blown coverages, gaps not being filled properly, and not setting the edge. These seem basic. Maybe I'm missing something, but it happens nearly every 3rd down. We play 2 good downs on defense, then screw up.

It doesn't matter if it's 3rd and short, 3rd and medium, or 3rd and long. Someone is going to blow the next play.

Carolina only completed 3 or 4 passes to their WRs against our weakest unit on defense, the CBs, yet they scored early and often. I don't think Cleveland had scored 3 TDs in a game this year...except against us.

I know we turned the ball over 4 times and that was probably why we lost, but the bigger question to me is why does our defense lay such a big, fat egg and why do these players keep making the same mistakes over and over?
    Defense got the stops when it mattered
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

TEs and RBs are open because safeties are now manning the slot CB positions AND the rookie safety is being pressed into a role he was not going to play this year.

I actually think there have been fewer communication issues this year versus several others, but some players are jumping to the wrong routes. That creates a cascade effect where the OC keeps attacking and devising new ways to confuse.

Aaron Nagler has made the point that more than one player has said miscommunication is a result of a complex defense and younger players. Same kinda problems that bedeviled Rex Ryan in Buffalo.

The weird part of it is they seem far more likely to succeed in zone this year than since forever ago.

But the lack of pass rush has really hurt them. It doesn't force bad or hurried throws often enough. In previous years the solution to this was to blitz, but safeties in one on one coverage and getting beat deep force Capers to play his best safety deep. Often it forces two safeties deep.

I think the pass rush problem is a failure of TT. The coverage problems a failure of staff.

Who do I want to win out? Thompson, because he will eventually find talent, but Capers and his coaches haven't found coverage since Tramon got hurt and Woodson got old. But one problem feeds into the other so I don't know the best solution.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

This RB and TE problem has gone on for as long as Capers has been DC. With few yearly exceptions, we’ve had terrible problems on 3rd down getting off the field. I’m willing to admit that the past two years we’ve had injury problems in the secondary and that the problems on 3rd down have been a little worse. I also know that we have a pass rush issue that needs to be addressed. Losing Shields and having CB injury issues last year forced Thompson to draft another CB in this past draft and pushed drafting a first round pass rusher off another year.

I still wonder about the blown assignments that seem to never stop and if that’s inherent in this DCs system.

I have faith in Pipkins being all-pro. I know at the beginning of the season we all knew he'd be a difference maker down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Who do I want to win out? Thompson, because he will eventually find talent, but Capers and his coaches haven't found coverage since Tramon got hurt and Woodson got old. But one problem feeds into the other so I don't know the best solution.
    If they keep Capers, then they have to make sure they have enough veteran talent to run his schemes. They made progress with Randall, and you'd like to think having healthy Rollins king and House would be better than what they ran out there today. Maybe Beigel wasn't the answer for Peppers, but can we know yet because of his injury. Same with Perry. You would think the guy is a difference-maker but he's never out there. I just don't think you can expect depth to hold up to the kind of dynamic offenses they face, especially if you turn the ball over 4 times.

If they keep Capers, then they have to make sure they have enough veteran talent to run his schemes. They made progress with Randall, and you'd like to think having healthy Rollins king and House would be better than what they ran out there today. Maybe Beigel wasn't the answer for Peppers, but can we know yet because of his injury. Same with Perry. You would think the guy is a difference-maker but he's never out there. I just don't think you can expect depth to hold up to the kind of dynamic offenses they face, especially if you turn the ball over 4 times.
    Yeah its brutal but true with Perry that he just doesn't play enough. He should be Justin Smith in this defense, so frightening against both run and pass that teams lean his way and leave the others one on one. But he is not out there enough.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I have faith in Pipkins being all-pro. I know at the beginning of the season we all knew he'd be a difference maker down the stretch.
    Kind of want to know why he was out there. Someone hurt or benched to give him a shot? He looks like Geronimo. 6' 3" and 192 pounds.

Two years ago I was very high on Braxton Miller. He hasn't done much yet but I think he will in time. Last year I was very high on Curtis Samuel (Who is a Panther, albeit an injured one).

I would like to see the Packers try to find a player in the similar mold of incredible quickness and speed like Samual or Christian McCaffrey. It seems like we never have anyone that can not only out run everyone, but also out shake them.

Perry is a problem because he can't stay healthy. There hasn't been one season since he was drafted when he played in every game.