Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last jedi

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It was the weakest scene in the movie
    Agreed. It was a fan boy jerk off moment and I loved every second of it. Except the horrible CGI face on Leia.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Well since everyone else is doing it and I’m a follower

Empire
    New Hope
    Jedi
    Rogue One
    Force Awakens
    Last Jedi

The other 3 were terribly thought out and not entertaining at all. I could, and have, dissect every one of them explaining why I hate them, but that much typing on a tablet is cumbersome.

As I walked out of the theater for TLJ, I said “this will be the worst of the new 3 but still 1000% better than the prequels”.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    It was the weakest scene in the movie
    I'll raise you every scene with Forest Whitaker's character. Lies! Deceptions! Bor Gullet will know the Truth!
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Pod racing alone made Ep 1 suck. It was about 30 minutes of screen time for what? To show the kid was a good pilot and mechanic? Could have been done in 5 minutes.

I’m curious why you rank Rogue One so low? It’s pretty universally well liked by even non-Star Wars fans.

Seriously Pod racing. Opening day in the theater I was annoyed through that whole scene. Theres not a single thing in EP 1 that drives the saga forward. They introduce a super fighting with who ends up dying to an apprentice because he wasn’t paying attention? We have tons of political drama, and a trade federation who blocks trade. That whole movie is a jumble of partial plots that are all terrible.

Gungans van breath under water, yet they live in bubbles. Evolution really ducked that one up.
    A ridiculously forced relationship with the Naboo that made no sense. They never described why they were adversaries.
    Qui Gon Jin is a Jedi master bound to a code that he rarely follows. He cheated at dice, used mind powers to alter decisions. Then he died.
    Padme was a bad character too. And the 6 year old falls in love with her? What 6 year old has that sort of thought process?
    Midichlorians? Really? Blood parasites give you force? Can they be injected? Can I eat a daily vitamin to boost my force?

EP 1 is a bad movie by any measure of a movie. Acting, plot, pacing, direction, cohesion. It felt like a movie to sell toys to kids.
    Its true you can just not watch Ep 1 and miss basically nothing in the saga except that Anakin built C3PO which isn't important. Being prequels the characters need little in the way of introductions. George Lucas in his ripe old age had tumors pressing on the cheesy centers of the brain which is apparent through all the prequels although none are half as bad as what he did to Indiana Jones. The internet acts as if Episode 1 is some kind of Rocky 5. Its not even close to that.

Ep 1 was the first day back from a long SW vacation. It established the world of the prequels which added a lot of novelty. It really did crush it in the sound track department and introduced the world to choreographed lightsaber fights. Breakthrough shit. The Podrace while admittedly a giant lucas film special effects commercial was the first piece of surround sound I remember hearing that made me look over my shoulder. Actually its the only piece of surround sound I remember being like that. I was a kid when I saw it. Went with my little brother and it was the first SW movie released during our lifetimes. To this day my brother and I will say in our best Watto voice "Mind tricks don't work on me... only money." Ha. Classic.

If you want to go snooping for plotholes none of these movies hold up particularly well. I thought it went without saying why normal people might not get along with Gungans. As for Rogue One, I've gathered that people prefer it to Awakens but I'm not sure why. I guess it was cool to see original series era aesthetic again. The Vader scene was the best part of the movie.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 01-05-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Ahh so you have the nostalgia factor for EP1. I get that. I have the same thing for Empire and Jedi. EP1 to me was made for kids and marketed to adults.

Also midichlorians. Completely unforgivable “fuck you” to the original 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Ahh so you have the nostalgia factor for EP1. I get that. I have the same thing for Empire and Jedi. EP1 to me was made for kids and marketed to adults.

Also midichlorians. Completely unforgivable “fuck you” to the original 3.
    I've never been able to summon the righteous disgust for midichlorians that some fans do. I suppose they see it as a retcon that spoils our previous concept of the Force and somehow cheapens the mysticism of it with a crappy science explanation. I don't actually see anything incompatible about it. The Force is an energy field surrounding all living things. Midichlorians are the force sensitive critters that reside in the cells of all living things and work as a source of revelation to the contemplative Jedi or whatever. The Force as a fantastical energy is totally conserved so where is the problem?

In JW Rinzler's The Making of Star Wars: The Definative Story Behind the Original Film Lucas is shown to have had the concept and language of midichlorians back when writing the original Trilogy. For the story of Anakin its pretty useful to have a device for measuring the potential of a force user. I liked the idea of there being a sort of Jedi library of Alexandria that was lost with the death of the order. In those prequels seeing Jedi in robes doing things we'd never seen them do before and knowing things like how to measure Midichlorians really shows what a Jedi dark age Luke inhabits.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I've never been able to summon the righteous disgust for midichlorians that some fans do. I suppose they see it as a retcon that spoils our previous concept of the Force and somehow cheapens the mysticism of it with a crappy science explanation.
    Pretty much. And quantifying the force and thereby 'ranking' powers like some bad Yugio GX cartoon my kids would watch. "This kid's midichlorians count is higher than even master Yoda's! He also has a bigger penis."

P.S. if Vaders' midi count was higher than Yoda's, why didn't he wield the electric bolts like Yoda? See - all this wrangling leads you down the path of arguing over stupid and arbitrary power level crap. They killed the magic and mystery of the story. Also, Greedo shot first.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Pretty much. And quantifying the force and thereby 'ranking' powers like some bad Yugio GX cartoon my kids would watch. "This kid's midichlorians count is higher than even master Yoda's! He also has a bigger penis."

P.S. if Vaders' midi count was higher than Yoda's, why didn't he wield the electric bolts like Yoda? See - all this wrangling leads you down the path of arguing over stupid and arbitrary power level crap. They killed the magic and mystery of the story. Also, Greedo shot first.
    If you and I don’t stop agreeing on shit lately, we might have to get a beer together.

Jedi should be able to sense force acuity not measure it with a dip stick like oil. Weak writing over and over again in the prequels. Force Jesus says yippee 8 times in EP1. Just terrible acting and directing. Grown Anikan is a whiny bitch. Then just magically become Darth Vader?
    Padme loses the will do live after giving birth to her first kids? What the effing ef.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Can we do some MST3K treatment to the next Star Wars movie (or one of them) with some of you and post that video on here? Have 3 of you watch it at the same time online and just have some video cams of you making smartass comments throughout? Because that would be fun as hell.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig View Post
    Can we do some MST3K treatment to the next Star Wars movie (or one of them) with some of you and post that video on here? Have 3 of you watch it at the same time online and just have some video cams of you making smartass comments throughout? Because that would be fun as hell.
    I'm on board for "I've Found them, Repeat I've Found them. Zev Senesca: A Star Wars Story"
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Its a well known sign of bad writing to tell rather than show so I'll have to agree with you about the force dick measuring contest. Its bad story telling although hardly a low point in the prequels. Canonically I have no problem with midichlorians.

Its clearly only a measure of potential rather than ability. I assume Vader's weakness to lightning has something to do with his reliance on a life support suit.

31, I assume you've seen the Red Letter Media reviews of Episode I and so on ("Mr. Plinkett"). They are NSFW vulgar and disturbing in part, but are right on the money.

Well, Episode 8 managed to put this final knife into ToysRUs. Aisles and isles of 150, 250 dollar pieces of crap that no kid wants to play with ever. Who wants to play with a Rey action figure that looks like Liam Neeson?

god that movie was awful, and now apparently they are putting it on plastic so people can watch it in their basements on this 4X crap whatever that is. Here's a clue - no amount of tech is gonna make up for crappy writing and plotting and people who never smile about anything ever - except maybe for stupid lame jokes that are totally inappropriate to the scene. And Red Sand - that was cool. Except it wasn't. P.S. Luke may have save the Jedi books, but they were actually Myst books about the D'ni. They are so boring that if any Jedis are left they will Hari Kari and let the remaining Snokes who haven't been split in two take over because - who wants to run this stupid galaxy anyway?

i didn't hate it as much the second time

but it was still pretty corny and shit on a lot of things

there was just an interview with simon pegg where he mentions that JJ abrams DID have a plan for reys parents, but the new dipshit decided the everyone can use the force, and having the main starwars movies no longer be about the skywalker family

Its a well known sign of bad writing to tell rather than show so I'll have to agree with you about the force dick measuring contest. Its bad story telling although hardly a low point in the prequels. Canonically I have no problem with midichlorians.

Its clearly only a measure of potential rather than ability. I assume Vader's weakness to lightning has something to do with his reliance on a life support suit.

aaaarrrrfff !I hate that !... Mommie ?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!

This new movie is gonna totally suck

But the latest installment, “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” due out May 25, upstaged them all when the production veered off the rails so spectacularly that it forced filming to grind to a halt after four months. With mere weeks left on the shooting schedule, producer Kathleen Kennedy fired directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller and hired veteran Ron Howard to right the ship.

1 Star Wars
    2 The Empire Strikes Back

3 The Force Awakens
    4 The Last Jedi
    5 Rogue One

6 Revenge Of The Sith
    7 Return Of The Jedi

8 Attack Of The Clones
    9 The Phantom Menace
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Going to Solo on Saturday. I can't wait.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Going to Solo on Saturday. I can't wait.
    Went lastnight. Loved it