Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DOUGHERTY....."HOW COULD THE PACKERS LET HYDE AND HAYWARD GET AWAY "

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    It's kind of their job to forecast who is going to be players and who is not. I don't know what happened with Hayward but they DESERVE criticism there.
    Had they made the right call mayb we draft a pass rusher or two
    A reasonable point. If TT signs Hayward in 2016, and stays put in the first round last year, that pick could have become T.J. Watt. Obviously, at this point, the Packers need a young pass rusher with his arrow pointing up. No disrespect to Biegel, who could be something, or Fackrell, who may have a higher ceiling, but so far has had modest returns, T.J. Watt was lined up to be the obvious choice, had Green Bay either signed Hayward the year before or signed a free agent CB last off-season and not had to wait out the development cycle of King, who got hurt anyway, which unfortunately seems to be a Packer thing.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    A reasonable point. If TT signs Hayward in 2016, and stays put in the first round last year, that pick could have become T.J. Watt. Obviously, at this point, the Packers need a young pass rusher with his arrow pointing up. No disrespect to Biegel, who could be something, or Fackrell, who may have a higher ceiling, but so far has had modest returns, T.J. Watt was lined up to be the obvious choice, had Green Bay either signed Hayward the year before or signed a free agent CB last off-season and not had to wait out the development cycle of King, who got hurt anyway, which unfortunately seems to be a Packer thing.
    Sure, but Hayward could have blown out his hammy again. Plus they sign him and then they don't have cash for Bennett. Where would they be then?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    TT has messed up plenty but this article is a stretch. Hindsight is always 20/20.

agree with you....especially on Hyde...but with that being said, I'd tend to agree with Woody's point
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Sure, but Hayward could have blown out his hammy again. Plus they sign him and then they don't have cash for Bennett. Where would they be then?

Green Bay would have still had funds for Bennett ...........who .....fwiw.....I was happy about.....but I was wrong.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    We would have kept Cook instead of Bennett?

When we let Hayward go we had a safety who was just voted 2nd team All-Pro, Randall and Rollins looked promising and Sam Shields hadn't had that concussion yet so losing Casey didn't seem like a huge deal at the time.

We have to be realistic about Hayward's level here. I expect Pro Bowl votes, but is he going to be an All Pro? Even 2nd team? I don't think so, but I've been wrong before.

So I don''t think he proved to be all world, but he did prove his rookie year was no fluke and he was probably better than House for Packers comparison.

But at the time, he wasn't going to be #1 with Shields on the team and he might not have been #2 with questions about being able to handle full time duties on the outside (that could very much be a coaching/scheme decision). So he's a#3 CB (possibly #2) at $5 mil per season with 2 young players. He wasn't let go because no one saw his talent, he was let go because he was no sure thing at that price.

It paid off handsomely for the Chargers and their scheme. Its not always going to work out for the Packers.

But this is another good example of Ted and Dom not being able to find common ground on talent.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.