Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Report: Thompson out as GM

So McGinn is peddling a story that Ted has some sort of mental problem? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. I doubt the old guy is any crazier than he's ever been. If that's the case, then it would be expected that the Packer would go with somebody with the same mindset as Ted. That, IMO, would be no better than what we have now.

I HOPE it's a case of the powers that be getting sick of Ted's way of doing things. That way, we get the kind of improvement to the team that brings championships.

As for McCarthy, we can win with him if the team has the talent. I don't see him as a difference maker - the kind of coach who can make a bad team good or a good team great, but I also don't see him fucking things up if the quality of players is great enough. That's the essence of "playing to not lose".
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax;
    Signing the two top FA guys is pretty much standard business in sign your own. Ball's job description doesn't need to change to get them done, he just needs a number.

Press has been speculating about Thompson's retirement since before his last contract.
    Jumping this over to this thread in an attempt to consolidate thoughts on TT...

It seems to me that the speculation within the last year or 2 has gotten more specific about the plans -- that Thompson would step "down" to a position where he could do more work scouting and less of the managing, allowing one of the up-and-comers in the FO to step up. This appears to be mostly what is occurring, except Thompson did not know this was his time until the season ended.

I even halfway think that Murphy (probably with TT's input) already knows who he wants and the interview process and consultant hiring is mostly theater.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I just read the McGinn article

That is fucking embarrassing

It sounds like he’s had the problem for awhile and a lot of people knew it. Yet Murphy allowed him to keep running things. Guy should be in a nursing home, not running a pro sports team
    The article is light on facts. I highly doubt the packers had a senile (or something similar) person running their personnel decisions.
    Go PACK

I deleted my Post here:

Information I wanted to post was already posted by pbmax.

Two members of the Packers High Ranking Brass will possibly be or have been given permission to interview with The Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-02-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    McGinn reports that the Executive Committee asked Murphy to move on from Thompson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-from-g-m-job/

Does anyone have a subscription to McGinn's site or is it just garbage?
    That was pretty clear to Mae and I watching his Press Conference right after the Last Draft.

Was I ' the only Packerrat', that saw this or that Ted Thompson looked clearly unwell? I certainly do (know now) and have believed that couldn't be the case.

As well, I've already as much posted (what this says below) and that I believed that TT and MM had a Pact to remain LOYAL to one another through anything and their current Contracts:

" Making the article even more intriguing is the manner in which it seems to hint in passing at the possibility of a new G.M. making a coaching change, primarily by pointing out that Thompson was never going to move on from Mike McCarthy. Now that the Packers are moving on from Thompson (as the G.M.), the question becomes whether the next G.M. will decide to stick with McCarthy. "

Comment woodbuck27:

I am clearly on Record here as wanting Mike McCarthy out and not the HC next Season. Certainly not now extended beyond the tenure provided in his current Contract Clearly. I have been on RECORD as wanting all three TT and MM and Dom Capers GONE before the real beginning of this Off Season and certainly for the 2018 Season. The time is clearly correct to simply clean the slate and more on.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-03-2018 at 12:38 AM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The only hiccup in Murphy's good performance was exactly this:

Jason Wilde @jasonjwilde
    Murphy, after earlier saying GM would hire/fire the coach, he is asked if he will require that McCarthy is the coach in 2018: "Mike is our man. He is our coach. ... He will be our coach."

So new GM gets coaching hire/fire, but only after one year of M3.
    Where is the Transcript of this matter and whatever Mark Murphy said?

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    The article is light on facts. I highly doubt the packers had a senile (or something similar) person running their personnel decisions.
    Have you been watching TT in Pressers?

It's too obvious that Ted Thompson had clear issues and addressing the Media.

Were they cognitive issues?

I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Here's the McGinn article on Ted/Mike.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPac...hy_to/ds35i33/
    After reading that story:

We are in Big Trouble (based in it's utter accuracy) and having Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy make any decision as important as the Green Bay Packers GM.

Why in HELL did CEO Mark Murphy have to be approached to remove Ted Thompson as the Packers GM?

Why didn't CEO Mark Murphy simply see, that was necessary a long time before the beginning of the 2017 Season; and I mean before it's entire Off Season.. It was to obvious that TT was absolutely burnt out after the last Draft. It was very painfully obvious that he was struggling cognitively.

One would think they'd want to start interviewing this week, right? Maybe by the weekend we'll have a front runner.

It sure seems like the media thinks it's going to be Russ Ball, but I just don't see it. What would the advantage be? I don't think he will jump ship else where if he doesn't get promoted. I could see a scenario where the scouts do skip town if they're not given the gig.

What is it about the Packers front office that makes them historically so successful and create successful GMs? I am seriously wondering. Why do people think Wolf and Gutekunst are such talented scouts? I wonder what makes one stand out vs the other? I wonder which one TT preferred and viewed as a better talent?

My gut feeling is the GM will be Gutekunst. It's 100% based on age and no real facts beyond that. I'd love to hear some anecdotes and details about these candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Jumping this over to this thread in an attempt to consolidate thoughts on TT...

It seems to me that the speculation within the last year or 2 has gotten more specific about the plans -- that Thompson would step "down" to a position where he could do more work scouting and less of the managing, allowing one of the up-and-comers in the FO to step up. This appears to be mostly what is occurring, except Thompson did not know this was his time until the season ended.

I even halfway think that Murphy (probably with TT's input) already knows who he wants and the interview process and consultant hiring is mostly theater.
    I hope that is the case. I also hope that Murphy takes the opportunity to interview EVERYONE and get a picture about how other teams do business. He'd be doing a disservice to himself and the team. It'd be a step further than Harlan even took it.

I guess I saw all that talk about an old scout on the road as a nice story, same category as Favre on his tractor.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Woody:

I'm not sure if this has bee placed on this thread so I'll post it:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/1/14...-new-role-hire

TODAY'S NFL NEWS

Packers GM Ted Thompson transitioning to new front office role, team will hire replacement

Thompson spent 13 seasons as the general manager of the Packers.

By Kaleel.Weatherly Updated Jan 2, 2018, 11:32am EST

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    After reading that story:

We are in Big Trouble (based in it's utter accuracy) and having Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy make any decision as important as the Green Bay Packers GM.

Why in HELL did CEO Mark Murphy have to be approached to remove Ted Thompson as the Packers GM?

Why didn't CEO Mark Murphy simply see, that was necessary a long time before the beginning of the 2017 Season; and I mean before it's entire Off Season.. It was to obvious that TT was absolutely burnt out after the last Draft. It was very painfully obvious that he was struggling cognitively.
    I retract this post as I did earlier this week on another Thread.

I did so after reading a categorical denial that anyone but himself (Packer President and CEO Mark Murphy) decided to dismiss Ted Thompson as Packer GM; and begin the Process to replace TT (as again totally) his (Mark Murphy's) personal decision.