Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Thompson out as GM

^ If they go for some triangle of authority, I am moving back to Ohio.

From a football perspective anyway.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If the Packers start to sign players on the first day of FA its a sign of big trouble.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Maybe he’ll just go back to being head of scouting or something like that
    and hopefully in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    ^ If they go for some triangle of authority, I am moving back to Ohio.

From a football perspective anyway.
    Ohio? Things won't get that bad here.

If the Packers start to sign players on the first day of FA its a sign of big trouble.
    Amen

nah. it's a sign of realizing the Rodgers window is more closed than open. it's a sign that all-in is what it implies. it's not an either/or. the cap doesn't have to be sacrificed but even if they do go nuts, to win now, the cap can be fixed later when Rodgers is gone and they're in full blown rebuild mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Ohio? Things won't get that bad here.
    It depends on how Murphy handles this. If he has two or three people reporting to him, its going to shit fast. And that is one way to read how Mortensen is reporting it will go:

Chris Mortensen @mortreport
    Ted Thompson will not return as the GM of the Green Bay Packers but will remain with the team. The front office will go through a reorganization with team president Mark Murphy defining new roles for current members of front office, per league and team sources.

If the beat reporters and RapSheet are right and he is hiring a GM to decide the front office and coach, then there is a chance.

It took the Packers 34 years or so to learn how to structure a Pro Football front office for modern times. Going backward isn't going to help.

Just something I've been wondering:

TT is moved out of GM role a few days after signing 2 players to big extensions. Did Murphy move TT out because he didn't like those deals? Did TT make those deals knowing a change was to be made and wanted to clear the deck for the new GM? Neither?

Blog Entries
    I would think if anything it would be choice B

I think those two signings were no brainers
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

TT is moved out of GM role a few days after signing 2 players to big extensions. Did Murphy move TT out because he didn't like those deals? Did TT make those deals knowing a change was to be made and wanted to clear the deck for the new GM? Neither?
    Hmmmm

Well he wasn’t fired, so Murphy can’t be too upset

And it’s not like they were terrible signings

Plus Russ ball would have been involved with the whole thing seeings how is the cap guy. Plus Murphy would have had to be in on it cause he controls the money they would have just given to those two guys

Or maybe the team knew this move was coming and a bunch of others were involved with the signings

I seriously doubt this was an out of the blue bombshell to a lot of people involved

They had to be talking about this for awhile I would think

A buddy of mine said he thought that the Adams and Linsley extensions didn't feel "ted like" to him. He thought maybe someone else was already running things and it was a sign TT would be done. I disagreed, but maybe he was/is on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    Sources: #Packers GM Ted Thompson is expected to transition into a new role within the organization. The team will begin a search for a new GM. Bombshell.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ssume-new-role

My prayers have been answered and PLEASE; Mike McCarthy has to go too.

Packer Nation now has at least a legitimate opportunity to win another Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    A buddy of mine said he thought that the Adams and Linsley extensions didn't feel "ted like" to him. He thought maybe someone else was already running things and it was a sign TT would be done. I disagreed, but maybe he was/is on to something.
    I get what he is saying, but the players and positions match Ted's priorities. He doesn't draft centers, but he has signed good ones to good deals before.

If he had done Burnett that quickly I would think its not very Ted like.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    FANTASTIC!!
    Indeed.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Now I wonder if the new GM will want a new head coach?
    That is now essential that MM be shown the door.

That piece of PUFF has to be FIRED to get that REAL chance and the next Super Bowl appearance and possible win.

I asked the question in another thread if anyone knows if we’ve done anything like those two signings in the past

It definitely felt different to me

But I never put two and two together and figured that maybe someone else is pulling the strings, but know you got me thinking

Those signings make more sense if that is the case

I get what he is saying, but the players and positions match Ted's priorities. He doesn't draft centers, but he has signed good ones to good deals before.

If he had done Burnett that quickly I would think its not very Ted like.
    That also makes sense. As much as I have wanted change I am worried it will be terrible. Then again I truly believe doing nothing would have been worse. I also wonder if some of this wasn't to appease the fans. I think they took a hell of a hit financially when people knew the team was going nowhere. Part of this may have been to appear to the fans they are doing something. They have to keep the revenue up to pay for Murphy's baby Titletown district.

Those negotiations were probably going on for a month or so before being finalized. Granted, TT's shift to a new role might have already been decided on by that point, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    I asked the question in another thread if anyone knows if we’ve done anything like those two signings in the past

It definitely felt different to me

But I never put two and two together and figured that maybe someone else is pulling the strings, but know you got me thinking

Those signings make more sense if that is the case
    TT hasn`t appeared right for some time.

He appeared vacant to Mae and I when we saw his videos before the Press.