View Poll Results: Who should be the next GM?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Thompson

1 3.57%
  • Eliot Wolfe

6 21.43%
  • Brian Gutekunst

7 25.00%
  • Alonzo Highsmith

0 0%
  • John Dorsey

1 3.57%
  • John Schneider

7 25.00%
  • Reggie McKenzie

0 0%
  • Other

6 21.43%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the next GM?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    If things are going down hill in Seattle do we really want him right now?
    We had no one for likely the last 3-5 Seasons.

Didn't you notice that?

Paying attention is challenging.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Paying attention is challenging.
    It's also challenging not being a condescending prick. But we're all working on it for 2018.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Now that MM has been extended for another Season it seems like the direction is Mark Murphy promoting from within for the NEW GM hahahaha.

Frankly it looks like the Same Ole Same Ole and that's IMO really bad news.

Simply a lot more frustration. Darn it all to Blazes.

I know my reaction isn't wrong.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-03-2018 at 04:01 PM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    It's also challenging not being a condescending prick. But we're all working on it for 2018.
    Work on this.

The Green Bay Packers are in a hot mess.

That fact is way too obvious now as it's creeping out.

What is it ZOOL.

Can't you deal with the TRUTH?
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-03-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Sure Zool.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-03-2018 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I was talking about this with my brother. The GM doesn't necessarily have to be the best scout. They have to be the best leaders/consensus builders/decision makers. I don't know who that is, but if the wunderkind can lead with maturity and insight, then I think you go with him. If you have reservations about his ability (beyond scouting), then you go with someone else.
    I agree with this.

If your guy running the draft is a super scout then you constantly live with his biases. For all the conspiracy of mediocrity wist spins, I do believe Wolf and Thompson both had blinders at certain positions. Sherman always thought he could select the right player like the draft was a multiple choice exam.

A guy sifting through other scouts opinions might be more likely to sift through them with a fairer eye.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I agree with this.

If your guy running the draft is a super scout then you constantly live with his biases. For all the conspiracy of mediocrity wist spins, I do believe Wolf and Thompson both had blinders at certain positions. Sherman always thought he could select the right player like the draft was a multiple choice exam.

A guy sifting through other scouts opinions might be more likely to sift through them with a fairer eye.
    This does make sense.

There are rumors that McKenzie's role with the Raiders will be reduced after Gruden comes in so perhaps he'll be free to talk to Murphy?

At this point, policy is the most important thing: Are we gonna continue to refuse to even compete for top free agents? Or will there be an effort to turn around the deterioration Ted let happen to the roster?

It's not automatic that the people who worked for Ted will follow his ways, but I'd much prefer somebody whose record says for sure that he will build the roster BOTH through the draft and through quality free agents - and I don't mean overage or leftovers nobody else wants like the few Ted went for.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Ianrapoport

@RapSheet
    " As the GM interviews commence in Green Bay, one candidate expected to draw interest: Former #Bills GM Doug Whaley. He also interviewed with the #Browns. Perhaps receiving some credit for his draft picks and moves helping the #Bills end their playoff drought. "

4:43 PM - Jan 3, 2018

Packers reportedly interested in talking to former Bills GM Doug Whaley. Whaley was fired by the Bills in May 2017, but acquired many of the players who this year led the Bills to heir first playoff berth in 18 years.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    At this point, policy is the most important thing: Are we gonna continue to refuse to even compete for top free agents? Or will there be an effort to turn around the deterioration Ted let happen to the roster?

It's not automatic that the people who worked for Ted will follow his ways, but I'd much prefer somebody whose record says for sure that he will build the roster BOTH through the draft and through quality free agents - and I don't mean overage or leftovers nobody else wants like the few Ted went for.
    Indeed! Spend money on players not wanted by their original team at the dollar amount they are asking! How can that go wrong! Look how its worked for Seattle!

BTW, some more info about how terrible the O line Thompson drafted was, backup tackles included.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Chris Roth @rothchris

Interesting: Consultant Jed Hughes, whom Mark Murphy has hired to help him in GM search, is executive with company Texans have hired for their GM search; and Hou has reported interested in #Packers Brian Gutekunst, also a candidate in GB
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

that was tough to read; but if my impression of Murphy is correct (aka....has no stones and worshipped the ground Ted walks on) this would not surprise me.
    Last edited by Bretsky; 01-03-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries

Puke

Would b very different from GB"s decisions of the past...to hire ass kissin admin/ Finance guy over personnel experts.

Puke

I'd rather keep Ted Thompson
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Puke

Would b very different from GB"s decisions of the past...to hire ass kissin admin/ Finance guy over personnel experts.

Puke

I'd rather keep Ted Thompson
    I'm pretty confident Murphy wouldn't hire as GM someone who is just an accountant. Ball has reportedly been working with Thompson more in recent years on personnel matters. He clearly would need a right-hand man with a background in scouting. It's a situation that could be made to work.

It sure seems to be Russ Ball as the Leader and the eventual promotion from within as the next Packer GM.

There is a lot of Hush Hush always in Green Bay. The sudden announcement at the end of the Season that MM was actually and 'quietly extended' another Year in his Contract through 2018 to the 2019 Season is a surprize and Russ Ball would have had a hand in that decision.

Russ Ball worked close with Ted Thompson and evidently was learning about handling Personnel.

Accountants are notoriously conservative and close mouthed. That would fall perfectly in line with 'the Packer Way'

Russ Ball as GM would most likely protect Mike McCarthy for the full remaining Contract or to the completion of the 2019 Season. An outside hire would in all possibility change MM''s Job Security.

So if I'm correct how are Eliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst going to react to this?

I looked at this another way.

Hire Eliot Wolf as GM and maybe lose Brian Gutekunst (they have already lost Alonzo Highsmith) but Russ Ball remains.

Hire Russ Ball and why would Eliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst stay in GreenBay if an opportunity arose elsewhere?

This is tricky stuff.

I'm pretty confident Murphy wouldn't hire as GM someone who is just an accountant. Ball has reportedly been working with Thompson more in recent years on personnel matters. He clearly would need a right-hand man with a background in scouting. It's a situation that could be made to work.
    Agreed 100%. It is strange to break precedent though when it's been very successful the last 25 years. I say precedent and not coincidence because I can think of numerous times when management has talked about how having a football guy to run the football org was critically important.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Agreed 100%. It is strange to break precedent though when it's been very successful the last 25 years. I say precedent and not coincidence because I can think of numerous times when management has talked about how having a football guy to run the football org was critically important.
    If you look at past GM hires in Green Bay they have always stressed the importance of having a person in charge with a background in personnel

Russ Ball, beyond the popular Porderpuffng clichés of him working with TT on some personnel the past couple years (AND YOU CAN CHOOSE TO SPIN THAT HOW YOU WANT) does not have that expertise.

The more I read the more people think that whole thing is just a façade....MM and TT have been discussing this...TT has become best buddies with Russ Ball, and M Murphy's decision is most likely already made. This all seems be the consensus. LOGIC would dictate if we want a personnel guy who I more active in Free Agency Russ Ball is NOT that guy.

I listed to a long interview with Andrew Brandt today on ESPN. Russ Ball replaced Andrew Brandt.

Brandt was hired throuht the Ron Wolf Tree. He noted how much he thinks the world of Reggie McKenzie, John Dorsey and John Schneider and noted if GB hired them based on their experiences we could expect a more aggressive means in free agency.

He also told fun stories on how E Wolf loved/craved personnel evaluation. He was evaluating film in high school for free, and about 13 years ago ahead of one of the draft E Wolf was really excited and dragged Andrew Brandit into the film room on draft day and said "LOOK AT THIS GUY'S MOVES......WE ARE GOING TO DRAFT THIS GUY IN ROUND TWO and he's going to be an amazing Green Bay Packer for many years. He craves personell with a passion.

That guy was Greg Jennings.

Andrew Brandt went on to note GB has a strong personnel staff, even after losing the three guys who were there with him and Ron Wolf (and Ted Thompson). And both will be sought after for other jobs.

There are plenty of Andrew Brandts and Russ Ball's out there and they are very replaceable. I really don't care much if Russ Ball leaves; but I don't want to lose talented NFL Evaluators.

The GB Packer GM job should be an elite job. We better dam well hire an elite personnel guy, whether it be within GB or from the outsde.

But many in the NFL circles seem to think TT has made the choice, and his buddy Russ Ball is our next GM and Mark Marphy will just follow Ted's choice.

I hope they are wrong; but the handwriting seems to be going up on the wall.