View Poll Results: Who should be the next GM?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Thompson

1 3.57%
  • Eliot Wolfe

6 21.43%
  • Brian Gutekunst

7 25.00%
  • Alonzo Highsmith

0 0%
  • John Dorsey

1 3.57%
  • John Schneider

7 25.00%
  • Reggie McKenzie

0 0%
  • Other

6 21.43%
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the next GM?

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    belichick, carroll, do you think those guys don't have personnel input? belichick has all the personnel power. i think MM wants, and should, have more power in that area.
    Nope. People against having a cap guy in charge should REALLY be upset about a HC with personnel authority.

It works out far, far less. For every Belichick, there is Jeff Fisher, Chip Kelly, Mike Sherman and Nick Saban.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    just heard Reggie McKenzie turned down an interview request with the Packers.
    I would turn it down too. Probably their token black for the Rooney Rule. I would hate that.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This is dumb. The coach shouldn't have that much power.
    If you're gonna let me cook dinner, why can't I choose the ingredients? Wasn't that a Parcelsism?

Not saying I agree 100%, but not saying I disagree 100% either...

But I do want them all on the same page, and not sure how to do that without input from all of them.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I would turn it down too. Probably their token black for the Rooney Rule. I would hate that.
    Is the Rooney Rule enforced on GM or just HC or coordinators too?

Nope. People against having a cap guy in charge should REALLY be upset about a HC with personnel authority.

It works out far, far less. For every Belichick, there is Jeff Fisher, Chip Kelly, Mike Sherman and Nick Saban.
    if MM is having to deal with a finance guy as a gm then he should have some power in personnel matters. MM knows what he needs, and who can help, more than anyone there. they're not there to win the cap championship. if that were the case the browns would be holding the trophy.
    Last edited by gbgary; 01-05-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Is the Rooney Rule enforced on GM or just HC or coordinators too?
    GMs and HCs i think.

GMs and HCs i think.
    I thought so too at first. But I can't think of any GM or coordinator that needed to pass the rule.

GMs and HCs i think.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooney_Rule

" The Rooney Rule is a National Football League policy that requires league teams to Interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operation jobs."
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

In somewhat related news, the Vikings would not let the Packers interview George Paton.

They obviously don't follow the dictates of Wolf-ism, which as espoused on this board means let them go anywhere, even in the Division.
    I thought if a GM had roster control, they couldn't be blocked from an interview. Apparently not true?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I thought if a GM had roster control, they couldn't be blocked from an interview. Apparently not true?
    A good question, the theory I saw was that with their season still going, they do not have to grant interviews except in the specially designated windows.

Its possible it was a courtesy the Packers extended to them; they may abide by it even when they could force it.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-05-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think the only positions that cannot be blocked are assistants to become head coaches. (I am probably wrong though)

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I think the only positions that cannot be blocked are assistants to become head coaches. (I am probably wrong though)
    I was very sure (before this news) that if a GM position had full roster control, no one could be blocked from interviewing for it. That's why I'm confused. Is GB not offering full roster control (uh oh) or is it a timing thing like pb suggests?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    If you're gonna let me cook dinner, why can't I choose the ingredients? Wasn't that a Parcelsism?

Not saying I agree 100%, but not saying I disagree 100% either...

But I do want them all on the same page, and not sure how to do that without input from all of them.
    Mechanics would be terrible at designing cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

I was very sure (before this news) that if a GM position had full roster control, no one could be blocked from interviewing for it. That's why I'm confused. Is GB not offering full roster control (uh oh) or is it a timing thing like pb suggests?
    Minnesota can deny interview requests because they're still playing, according to http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...-assistant-gm/

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Minnesota can deny interview requests because they're still playing, according to http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...-assistant-gm/
    So it's timing. Weird, I guess, but okay.

So it's timing. Weird, I guess, but okay.
    It effectively blocks the Packers since they want to make a decision by next week.

This whole thing is really a cluster. If the situation requires keeping MM then the would turn off a lot of potential candidates outside of the organization in my opinion and potentially within as well. Couple that with a DC opening why would anyone want that position until the GM position is solidified? Unbelievable Murphy would say anything about M3 being the coach. Deal with one thing at a time. You know the idiot press will ask about the head coach so just say 'We will visit that after the gm is in place' instead of putting yourself in a corner. I don't like the timing of any of this unless it's all a charade for ultimately putting Wolfe or Gutekunst in place and they are on the same page with M3.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachMN View Post
    This whole thing is really a cluster. If the situation requires keeping MM then the would turn off a lot of potential candidates outside of the organization in my opinion and potentially within as well. Couple that with a DC opening why would anyone want that position until the GM position is solidified? Unbelievable Murphy would say anything about M3 being the coach. Deal with one thing at a time. You know the idiot press will ask about the head coach so just say 'We will visit that after the gm is in place' instead of putting yourself in a corner. I don't like the timing of any of this unless it's all a charade for ultimately putting Wolfe or Gutekunst in place and they are on the same page with M3.
    Murphy had to solidify MM's status so MM can get on with hiring a DC. No candidates from the outside were going to want to come here to be DC without knowing who the HC is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Murphy had to solidify MM's status so MM can get on with hiring a DC. No candidates from the outside were going to want to come here to be DC without knowing who the HC is going to be.
    Maybe...but My argument here is don't handcuff the GM with M3. At this point a DC is hardly my concern. Get the GM then let him decide if M3 is his guy then the DC position gets taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachMN View Post
    Maybe...but My argument here is don't handcuff the GM with M3. At this point a DC is hardly my concern. Get the GM then let him decide if M3 is his guy then the DC position gets taken care of.
    I agree with this. Why decide BEFORE getting the GM?

The answer probably isn't named Mike. Its probably named Aaron, who will be redoing a contract next year.