View Poll Results: Who should be the next GM?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Thompson

1 3.57%
  • Eliot Wolfe

6 21.43%
  • Brian Gutekunst

7 25.00%
  • Alonzo Highsmith

0 0%
  • John Dorsey

1 3.57%
  • John Schneider

7 25.00%
  • Reggie McKenzie

0 0%
  • Other

6 21.43%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the next GM?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Is it remotely possible to hire John Dorsey since he just took a long term deal with Cleveland ?
    Almost certainly not. It would be highly unprofessional of him. Of course, this is a results business so if he got results, all would be forgiven probably.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Its illogical to feel so wronged that you leave and make a lateral move to another organization who might not hire you to be GM later. Especially when there are 3 of you who are candidates on the same team. Stay and work yourself up.
    They have been doing that and waiting in the wings. Wolf and Gunekunst are both at risk of leaving; to be honest if one is hired over the other the one not hired might leave. They both get interviews and looks each year.

I'm not sure anybody has ever looked at Highsmith though.

I'll take any outside Joe over Russ Ball. We've always had good capologists in Green Bay. There are plenty out there.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Its illogical to feel so wronged that you leave and make a lateral move to another organization who might not hire you to be GM later. Especially when there are 3 of you who are candidates on the same team. Stay and work yourself up.
    It happens in football, basketball and baseball.

Milwaukee Bucks last year
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Is it remotely possible to hire John Dorsey since he just took a long term deal with Cleveland ?
    Yes.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

It happens in football, basketball and baseball.

Milwaukee Bucks last year
    The Bucks hired the guy and told him he was the heir apparent. When his boss retired, they hesitated to give him the job.

That is different than three executives all being eligible for a promotion in the organization. They cannot all have been promised the job.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Almost certainly not. It would be highly unprofessional of him. Of course, this is a results business so if he got results, all would be forgiven probably.
    If he was promised full control of the Head Coach and doesn't have it, he might have some leverage.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

FYI- John Schneider won't get an interview in Green Bay unless Seattle gives permission for him to make a lateral move. His last deal eliminated his out clause to explore Green Bay
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...eave-green-bay

Seahawks GM: New deal does not have out clause to leave for Packers

Seattle needs to make a lot of off Season decisions and given your point and John Schneider's last Contract. In fact he might not be realistically available.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-01-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Blog Entries
    The Bucks hired the guy and told him he was the heir apparent. When his boss retired, they hesitated to give him the job.

That is different than three executives all being eligible for a promotion in the organization. They cannot all have been promised the job.

I don't recall them telling him that but I think it was silently understood that was the plan
    And it would not surprise me if somebody in GB was given that impression hoping they'd hang around.
    Had anybody even interviewed Russ Ball for anything ? No reason to promise him a thing. The personnel guys are the worries.
    Would not surprise me if MM wanted to move on this in fear he loses one of the two who keep getting interest.

Blog Entries
    If he was promised full control of the Head Coach and doesn't have it, he might have some leverage.
    Had not thought of that

I'd be excited with either John or Wolfy Jr

Kinda dumb. You go from being #3 or 4 in a four way with Ted to #2 with a cap guy. You want influence, you stay.

If they all leave they are not all going to be GMs in the first year gone. Seems like reporter hyperbole.
    " Seems like reporter hyperbole." pbmax

YUP. These are Green Bay Packer Career Guys.

If one is hired (internally) as the New Packer GM; and that might be the Legendary Packer GM Ron Wolfe's son Elliot Wolfe (?).

Why would the other three all of a sudden in concert get miffed and leave Green Bay?

Will one or more desire retirement?

Is there any real reason to covet Packer Personnel people given Green Bay's results since winning the last Super Bowl?

Nope !

It's my understanding that Schneider shares decision making responsibilities with Pete Carroll. Would that create an out in his contract if the Packers offered him full control of football operations?

Who in Blazes wants Ted Thompson?

Hahahaha 'that's hilarious.

I went with Brian Gutekunst. Just a gut feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Observing the certain woes and the Seattle Seahawks and a decline this Season it seems a good time to bring John Schneider HOME to Green Bay.
    If things are going down hill in Seattle do we really want him right now?

Yeah, he would be. But its possible Mort was right and it will be all internal. The leak to Silverstein and JSO might just be cover for the Rooney Rule, though Highsmith would cover it.
    Does the Rooney Rule cover front office personnel or just coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Does the Rooney Rule cover front office personnel or just coaches?
    I believe it covers at least GMs.

I don't recall them telling him that but I think it was silently understood that was the plan
    And it would not surprise me if somebody in GB was given that impression hoping they'd hang around.
    Had anybody even interviewed Russ Ball for anything ? No reason to promise him a thing. The personnel guys are the worries.
    Would not surprise me if MM wanted to move on this in fear he loses one of the two who keep getting interest.
    Ball has had interviews denied by the Packers

Mickey Loomis is another cap guy in New Orleans.

FYI- John Schneider won't get an interview in Green Bay unless Seattle gives permission for him to make a lateral move. His last deal eliminated his out clause to explore Green Bay
    I don't understand all the Schneider love. The Seahawks missed the playoffs this year after not having been to the SB for a few years, and seem to have lost talent that has not been replaced.

Isn't that why so many people wanted Ted gone??
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It's my understanding that Schneider shares decision making responsibilities with Pete Carroll. Would that create an out in his contract if the Packers offered him full control of football operations?
    I was trying to find this info out last night but was not successful. Either way, if Schneider really wanted to leave, I don't think Seattle would want to employ someone that doesn't want to be there, so a trade for maybe an R4 or R5 could probably get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I don't understand all the Schneider love. The Seahawks missed the playoffs this year after not having been to the SB for a few years, and seem to have lost talent that has not been replaced.

Isn't that why so many people wanted Ted gone??
    They've also used up a few high round draft picks in trades. I don't get it either but he fits the "go all-in" mindset that some posters are looking for.
    Go PACK