View Poll Results: Who should be the next GM?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Thompson

1 3.57%
  • Eliot Wolfe

6 21.43%
  • Brian Gutekunst

7 25.00%
  • Alonzo Highsmith

0 0%
  • John Dorsey

1 3.57%
  • John Schneider

7 25.00%
  • Reggie McKenzie

0 0%
  • Other

6 21.43%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the next GM?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Ball has had interviews denied by the Packers

Mickey Loomis is another cap guy in New Orleans.
    Can't find the reference for Ball being denied interview requests from outside the organization. Might have made that up.

But one thing I was reminded of going back, Ball's connection inside 1265 is to McCarthy. Ball worked for the Chiefs with M3, got suggested to be the cap guy for the Saints via McCarthy and probably got a recommendation in GB from him.

Ted and Murphy clearly fell in love with him as he has kept accumulating responsibilities, titles and salaries. But Ball could be the most likely to hang on to McCarthy.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The stupidity is rising. Spoon hinted at this but Cohen goes full in on the lack of experience among backups in the secondary for the trouble this year and last. Ha Ha Clinton Dix agrees:

I guess Cohen and Dix believe Jarrett Bush, Hyde and Chris Banjo were high priced FA acquisitions.

Dumbasses.

https://twitter.com/Michael_Cohen13/...16636506505216
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I voted "other". I have a bad feeling that all of these current or former Packer personnel people are disciples of Ted. I would like (but do not expect) somebody from elsewhere who has a track record of bringing in free agents - not just the undrafted kind. Exactly who is chosen is not as important as the mindset of the person they choose.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
    Alonzo Highsmith, the #Packers long-time senior personnel executive, is expected to join GM John Dorsey's staff with the Cleveland Browns, a source said. Currently working out the final details. A major loss for Packers scouting department.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Ryan Wood @ByRyanWood
    Alonzo Highsmith, the #Packers long-time senior personnel executive, is expected to join GM John Dorsey's staff with the Cleveland Browns, a source said. Currently working out the final details. A major loss for Packers scouting department.
    Cleveland is finally doing it right. Hired a GM with a good track record and poaching front office talent from one of the top teams in the league year in and year out. Hope the owner gives them more than 2 years to be competitive.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Losing Highsmith = not good

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Losing Highsmith = not good
    Losing some of them is inevitable.

Look at it this way: now Wolf and Gutekunst have one less reason/spot to run to.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Just as an aside: If TT is such a bone head fuck-up, then why are all these organizations grabbing up his front office guys.

The passing of time happens and it looks like it was TT's time this year. I'm not terribly sad that he's going (except and unless he really is physically/mentally compromised). I am appreciative of the great run he had and think it is going to be very difficult to get the same out of the next guy. It's almost as unlikely as two back-to-back HOF QBs. Wanna try for three?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

It's pretty impressive that there are 3 or 4 guys here who he hired and/or promoted that are considered serious candidates for his job. His eye for talent extended past the plying field.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I don't understand all the Schneider love. The Seahawks missed the playoffs this year after not having been to the SB for a few years, and seem to have lost talent that has not been replaced.

Isn't that why so many people wanted Ted gone??
    Schneider put together a good D right off the bat but has not been able to put together a competent OL to save his life and has struggled to re-stock their D.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

The top three candidates have already been identified, and have been for a while. We're screwed if all of them decline. Then we're down to Fangio types.

Blog Entries
    Can't find the reference for Ball being denied interview requests from outside the organization. Might have made that up.

But one thing I was reminded of going back, Ball's connection inside 1265 is to McCarthy. Ball worked for the Chiefs with M3, got suggested to be the cap guy for the Saints via McCarthy and probably got a recommendation in GB from him.

Ted and Murphy clearly fell in love with him as he has kept accumulating responsibilities, titles and salaries. But Ball could be the most likely to hang on to McCarthy.

I don't think anybody has come calling for Ball
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Schneider put together a good D right off the bat but has not been able to put together a competent OL to save his life and has struggled to re-stock their D.
    Trading his All Pro center for a TE the offense never fully used was a special self inflicted wound.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    The top three candidates have already been identified, and have been for a while. We're screwed if all of them decline. Then we're down to Fangio types.
    I'm confused enough as it is, don't start mixing GM candidates with DC candidates on me.

I do not TRUST CEO Mark Murphy after it's all coming out (** and THE TRUTH) to be a Man that can make the best decision.

Clearly (and **) CEO Mark Murphy isn't a Man of Vision or why did he have to be approached by a 45 Member Packer Board Executive Committee to remove TT as the Packer GM; when it was too obvious Ted Thompson wasn't fit healthwise to handle the Packer GM's job?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I'm confused enough as it is, don't start mixing GM candidates with DC candidates on me.
    You're right. My bad. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    You're right. My bad. Sorry.
    Its OK. Made me start to wonder if Packers were just "settling" for Vic Fangio because he runs a 3-4 and has a nice car.

I think we might deserve more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    It's almost as if the league is structured to penalize success and thereby maintain competitive balance. It's too bad the Packers can't make hay out of all those top ten draft picks they have.

I still think it might be Brian Gutekunst when the dust settles. He's been with us for 19 years and is now Director of College Scouting.

I was talking about this with my brother. The GM doesn't necessarily have to be the best scout. They have to be the best leaders/consensus builders/decision makers. I don't know who that is, but if the wunderkind can lead with maturity and insight, then I think you go with him. If you have reservations about his ability (beyond scouting), then you go with someone else.

Either way, this is a super-interesting offseason:
    * new GM
    * new defensive staff (mostly)
    * stories of non-accountability on the defensive side

The GM is the biggest change, but the defensive staff will have the biggest immediate impact. So much going on right now.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.