Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Assistant Coach Shuffle 2018

Mike Pettine?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Are we going to hire a new defensive coach, or is fat mike going to seize that position too?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Chicago Bears @ChicagoBears
    We have officially named Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy as our new head coach.

I say this makes Fangio less likely to move to Packers. McCarthy has 2 years and a front office change. The new Bears coach has five years and comparative stability.
    Maybe. The idea of potentially working 5 years on the other side of the ball from Rodgers might be worth more to a DC. Especially if Fangio is looking at switching HCs anyway.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Chicago Bears @ChicagoBears
    We have officially named Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy as our new head coach.

I say this makes Fangio less likely to move to Packers. McCarthy has 2 years and a front office change. The new Bears coach has five years and comparative stability.
    Only if he wins. Fox lasted 3 years. Trestman 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Mike Pettine?
    Packers are interviewing him tomorrow. http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...ening-tuesday/

Packers also talking to Fangio, maybe? : http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ob/1014063001/

Whitt interviewed Sunday. Perry and Moss today.

Piece says the Packers will talk to him via one source, another says likely but nothing setup yet. Given the contract expiring tonight, it might be bad form to have direct contact prior to midnight. Here's hoping they know his agent.

Gus Bradley and Steve Spagnuole also still available.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packers also talking to Fangio, maybe? : http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ob/1014063001/

Piece says the Packers will talk to him via one source, another says likely but nothing setup yet. Given the contract expiring tonight, it might be bad form to have direct contact prior to midnight. Here's hoping they know his agent.

Hasn't Spagnuolo been on a downward trend in recent years?

Blog Entries

GUS BRADLEY would be nice hire
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Hasn't Spagnuolo been on a downward trend in recent years?
    He's been part of some down defenses, but the Giants defense was very good this year.

Problem with his Giants experience is that he used mostly four to rush the passer and they normally get there.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    He's been part of some down defenses, but the Giants defense was very good this year.

Problem with his Giants experience is that he used mostly four to rush the passer and they normally get there.
    Some guys can look like geniuses when they have great players. Even Barry Switzer looked marginally competent with an all star cast.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Some guys can look like geniuses when they have great players. Even Barry Switzer looked marginally competent with an all star cast.
    Exactly.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
    While the #Bears would like to keep DC Vic Fangio — and new coach Matt Nagy has made moves to do so — the #Packers loom and hope to set an interview. He is considered Green Bay's top choice. NFC North battle.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    #Packers have spoken with #Giants DL coach Patrick Graham about a spot on Mike Pettine’s staff. He’s may be a candidate for LBs. He’s very highly regarded. Began in the #Patriots system.

Update: He is interviewing this morning.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Can confirm @lanceallan 's report that former #Giants asst. Frank Cignetti has been hired by #Packers coach Mike McCarthy as QBs coach.

That name makes it sound like he backed up Gifford at quarterback for the Giants in the 50s and played a mean deep safety.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-10-2018 at 10:05 AM.

I am vastly more excited about a Giants D coach than a Giants O coach. This seems to be fallout from McAdoo leaving.

Blog Entries
    Hope there's no move to bring McAdoo back. I liked that guy a lot less when I figured out who he was.

Evidently we hired Frank Gignetti as our new QB coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Evidently we hired Frank Gignetti as our new QB coach.
    He not only has the stink of McAdoo's Giants offense, but also Jeff Fisher's Rams offense. Woof.

He was quarterbacks coach under Mike Nolan in San Francisco in 2007 and returned to the NFL for good in 2012, taking over as quarterbacks coach under Jeff Fisher. He was promoted to offensive coordinator in ’15, but then fired after 12 games with the Rams' offense ranked 31st.
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ch/1020201001/

One logical hire for Mike Pettine would be his former DC in Cleveland, Jim O’Neil, who was fired as 49ers DC after the 2016 season. He could teach the staff Pettine’s system.

#Packers assistant coach Joe Whitt Jr. will remain with the team in an elevated role of defensive passing game coordinator. It's a promotion for him and a logical move after not getting the D-coordinator job. Should help his career a lot.