Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's the scapegoat now?

Who's the scapegoat now?

A vocal continent in PackerRats has been consistently pushing for the dismissal of both TT and DC for a variety of reasons. This offseason, they got their wish.

I just gotta know, who's the target now? Because I can't imagine everyone will suddenly turn content. After all, eight consecutive years of playoff appearances, a few NFCC appearances, a Super Bowl victory, a HOF QB, a DPOY FA acquisition, a Top 5 LT, and drafting the franchise sack leader is not enough to prevent people from trying to run the GM out of town.

Who's the new scapegoat for when they fail to win the Super Bowl every year?

Consider it an open poll.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

McCarthy then Murphy.

If Ball is the GM and they are $1 under the salary cap, the problem will be that Murphy hired a "cap guy".

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    McCarthy then Murphy.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

McCarthy, Ball, and Murphy...in that order.
    Go PACK

A) Pro Sports Management falls out of favour with a Teams fans; because fans know when they are failing miserably.

B) When there's clear evidence to support objective reasons for why Fans see it that way and for any prolonged period of time.

Packers HC Mike McCarthy is definitely and likely now more that ever on the Hot Seat for the 2018 Season.

As I see it his time already ran out, but by certain graces he was protected before the 2017 Season ended or as we must now believe.

Pacts do not favour Winning. Good Management and competent Coaching are more likely to satisfy and a Pro Teams Fan base.

In the case of the Green Bay Packers, winning NFCN Titles whenever, is no longer a satisfactory measure.

It's all about supporting Aaron Rodgers and winning a Super Bowl. Nothing else but a Super Bowl appearance is satisfactory now.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-04-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Smidgeon, I think there are degrees of scapegoating/blaming. I will own that I questioned the possibility of firing Capers and letting TT continue to be the solution provider for the roster issues. I wanted Capers to be replaced and I wanted TT to step aside or move into a new role, as was previously indicated would be the plan when he's done. I think when they knew they needed to move on from Capers, it was a reasonable time for the organization to address the longer-term needs in the front office.

I try to be reasonable and see relationships between things that are happening. Capers didn't pick all the green as grass backups on D. Capers didn't resist reasonable free agent signings for the D. He may have had some input, but was not the final decision maker. He took what he was given and tried to coach them up with his staff, and the results were mixed. He has to wear the results, even if it's not all his fault.

TT had his chances to fix the defense, but in the multiple chances that he had, they could never really get back to where they were in the Super Bowl year, when the D still had Collins, Tramon, and Woodson and a young Clay. I think it just shows how hard it is to find talent. In totality, TT did well. Lately his record was not as good, he was letting guys walk who had talent to offer other teams, which didn't used to happen, and likely the biggest factor, he's getting older, and the team needs some new perspective.

I don't think I was scapegoating as much as being realistic to what was happening and wanting the team to take a new approach to fixing what was wrong, and there definitely are deficiencies that need to be addressed. We're not out of the woods yet. It's a good start, but it works with the new leadership/coaches when they start to overcome the deficiencies they were showing, which hopefully will be the case in A-Rod's remaining time here. Staying the same wasn't going to work, that's all it was for me. If it had been working well with TT and Capers, sure, stay as long as you want. It wasn't, so it was time for the change. No disrespect to any previous success.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 01-04-2018 at 02:22 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

If the talent you have is young, have you failed to secure talent or did you fail to put a plan in place for the talent, young though it might be, to succeed?

You cannot always have vet backups and veteran starters. Its expensive that way. Its also the reverse of the entire Packers MO.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If Ball is the GM and they are $1 under the salary cap, the problem will be that Murphy hired a "cap guy".
    lol. NOW WAIT A GOSH DARN MINUTE!

So your assertion is that the Packers have been "failing miserably" as a franchise?

scapegoat? it's clear the team doesn't have enough talent. that's on TT. and it's clear that the defense took the brunt of the talent shortage...that's on TT. it's clear, that despite the defensive talent gap, that year after year they rolled over millions in unused cap money...that went unused the next year...and so on. that's on TT. now we're finding out, it seems, TT didn't give other's input much value. that it was his way only. that's on TT. as for Capers, he kept in place a complex defense despite the lack of talent to run it. that's on Capers. Edger? who knows about him yet. i never really saw his stamp on the o considering MM's involvement in it. seemed like a title in name only. he probably just passed on MM's plans (a middle man) in meetings. he's probably still around because MM know's he's a good coach that can add something and that he's willing to take a demotion to stay there. the QB coach supposedly told them he wanted to go last off season. scapegoat implies someone got fired who was blameless. i don't think that's the case.

A complex D needs veterans to run it, not talent necessarily. Even Collins/Woodson/Harris had communication issues at the backend of Capers D.

Someone posted the overall numbers for the Capers era on Twitter. Like 5th in sacks for last 10 years, 2nd in INTs, etc. Anyone else see that?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

A complex D needs veterans to run it, not talent necessarily. Even Collins/Woodson/Harris had communication issues at the backend of Capers D.

Someone posted the overall numbers for the Capers era on Twitter. Like 5th in sacks for last 10 years, 2nd in INTs, etc. Anyone else see that?
    wonder where they ranked in big plays given up? numbers are important but the eye test tells a bigger story. who around here would give the D a passing grade since the superbowl? did you see the stat for this year that our d was 100% in allowing points in the red zone? that's disgraceful. only happened one other time ever. smh

Where did they rank on 3rd and long? Capers defenses always made me nervous as hell on 3rd downs.

Medical/training staff
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    A vocal continent in PackerRats has been consistently pushing for the dismissal of both TT and DC for a variety of reasons. This offseason, they got their wish.

I just gotta know, who's the target now? Because I can't imagine everyone will suddenly turn content. After all, eight consecutive years of playoff appearances, a few NFCC appearances, a Super Bowl victory, a HOF QB, a DPOY FA acquisition, a Top 5 LT, and drafting the franchise sack leader is not enough to prevent people from trying to run the GM out of town.

Who's the new scapegoat for when they fail to win the Super Bowl every year?

Consider it an open poll.
    I believe Woodbuck has a post in another thread already criticizing Mark Murphy because we still haven't won the super bowl since TT was fired.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I believe Woodbuck has a post in another thread already criticizing Mark Murphy because we still haven't won the super bowl since TT was fired.
    If Mark Murphy was a real go-getter he would already have 1 Super Bowl victory under his belt since TT was removed.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

If the talent you have is young, have you failed to secure talent or did you fail to put a plan in place for the talent, young though it might be, to succeed?

You cannot always have vet backups and veteran starters. Its expensive that way. Its also the reverse of the entire Packers MO.
    And largely the MO of every long term successful team.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Where did they rank on 3rd and long? Capers defenses always made me nervous as hell on 3rd downs.
    It was often a nightmare, but his better D's had better success on 3rd down. Often pressure or a pick. The Packers long had a problem with pass coverage in the middle of the field.

But the numbers I saw were not down and distance. They were totals for his tenure.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-04-2018 at 07:15 PM.

One group of haters got their way with Capers being gone; Another group including me got our way with Ted being gone. That's old business now. The relevant thing is who gets either job and more precisely, what kind of D will we have and what kind of personnel policy will we have going forward?

We damn well better get a DC who is creative and scheming - very similar to Dom Capers, as any improvement in personnel is gonna take time even if free agency is used. As for the GM replacement, it will take a pretty drastic change to make a short term difference. Hopefully, the new guy can clean up Ted's mess while Aaron Rodgers still has some top quality play in him.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?