Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who's the scapegoat now?

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I don't see what "mess" TT made that can't be fix quickly. Not like when Sherman loaded this team with over the hill guys in big contracts keeping us right at the cap.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    A vocal continent in PackerRats has been consistently pushing for the dismissal of both TT and DC for a variety of reasons. This offseason, they got their wish.

I just gotta know, who's the target now? Because I can't imagine everyone will suddenly turn content. After all, eight consecutive years of playoff appearances, a few NFCC appearances, a Super Bowl victory, a HOF QB, a DPOY FA acquisition, a Top 5 LT, and drafting the franchise sack leader is not enough to prevent people from trying to run the GM out of town.

Who's the new scapegoat for when they fail to win the Super Bowl every year?

Consider it an open poll.
    I don't think it takes too much of a genius to figure out that Smidgeon here is implying that we as a fan base are generally speaking a bunch of malcontents, and a malcontent is defined as a person who is dissatisfied, an agitator or a complainer making trouble.

A vocal continent in PackerRats has been consistently pushing for the dismissal of both TT and DC for a variety of reasons. This offseason, they got their wish.

I just gotta know, who's the target now? Because I can't imagine everyone will suddenly turn content. After all, eight consecutive years of playoff appearances, a few NFCC appearances, a Super Bowl victory, a HOF QB, a DPOY FA acquisition, a Top 5 LT, and drafting the franchise sack leader is not enough to prevent people from trying to run the GM out of town.

Consider it an open poll.
    We want more - when you have one of the best QBs of all time - you should expect multiple SB victories (look at the Pats).

In order - if the goal was making the playoffs, fine... but there's a clear difference between a playoff and SB push.

How many close playoff and NFCC losses have we watched - Seattle was bad and getting blown out last year was embarrassing.

I love Aaron. Glad he fell to us in the draft. But it's not like we traded up or found him like we did with Favre.

Woodson was a great FA. So was Peppers. But they were too infrequent. We watched this team with gaping holes at RB, OL being filled with JAGS the past few years.

I've stated my thoughts on Matthews many times. Injury prone and decent player but not worth his paycheck.

Look at TTs actual picks in a boom, jury is out, bust category and it shows more misses than hits.
    https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Conten...pson-113156654

And Dom... he's fine. But teams know his style and it got stale. Along with constant injuries and communication issues - no issues with new blood.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.
    Vince Lombardi

"Not really interested in being a spoiler or an underdog. We're the Green Bay Packers." McCarthy.

All defenses get figured out. It will take teams 8 games next year to figure out the new Packer D. Everyone knows the new Steelers D under Butler and knows Le Beau's D in Tennessee, but it can still be played great.

You still need to execute and have some talent to win. We can argue the D talent all day long, but the execution was terrible the last two years.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    All defenses get figured out. It will take teams 8 games next year to figure out the new Packer D. Everyone knows the new Steelers D under Butler and knows Le Beau's D in Tennessee, but it can still be played great.

You still need to execute and have some talent to win. We can argue the D talent all day long, but the execution was terrible the last two years.
    For sure. I think it was talent and execution. Adding staleness didn't make the problem better.

IMO - a great coach takes the talent available and adjusts the scheme. Or adjusts the scheme vs the opponent. Sure - there was the latter - but not enough visible evidence of the former.
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.
    Vince Lombardi

"Not really interested in being a spoiler or an underdog. We're the Green Bay Packers." McCarthy.

"Have some talent" is the key. You have to assume that any coach is gonna get his players to execute at near the top of their ability on the pro level. As for other teams catching on, that's where you need to adjust and compensate and keep on being one step ahead. That's where Capers was great IMO. It's possible he wasn't the greatest motivator - which is reason to get him a whip-cracking helper, not get rid of him. A lot of people in here liked Kevin Greene - I didn't much. I saw him as 90% motivator and 10% brains, where a coordinator needs to have the balance the other way. I just hope we get somebody a LOT more like Capers as DC and much less like Greene.

Of course, having a GM who will upgrade the talent level significantly while Aaron Rodgers is still at the top of his game is an even more important factor.

So who gets scapegoated next? Hopefully nobody, but if we don't win big and win consistently the guy making the decisions on the replacements gets the blame.

Somebody in this thread talked about if the Packers were really all that bad; Of course they weren't. But it's like the current staff started out on third base and couldn't score. Well, the new guys will be starting out on third base too (third base being having Aaron Rodgers at QB). Hopefully they can get home.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I believe Woodbuck has a post in another thread already criticizing Mark Murphy because we still haven't won the super bowl since TT was fired.

This. Why else has the middle of the field been open to TEs and RBs all the time with nary a defender 5 yards nearby? Why else have we been able to make mediocre QBs look like Tom freaking Brady while they stand in the pocket eating a sandwich waiting for a receiver to get open down field?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    "Have some talent" is the key. You have to assume that any coach is gonna get his players to execute at near the top of their ability on the pro level. As for other teams catching on, that's where you need to adjust and compensate and keep on being one step ahead. That's where Capers was great IMO. It's possible he wasn't the greatest motivator - which is reason to get him a whip-cracking helper, not get rid of him. A lot of people in here liked Kevin Greene - I didn't much. I saw him as 90% motivator and 10% brains, where a coordinator needs to have the balance the other way. I just hope we get somebody a LOT more like Capers as DC and much less like Greene.

Of course, having a GM who will upgrade the talent level significantly while Aaron Rodgers is still at the top of his game is an even more important factor.

So who gets scapegoated next? Hopefully nobody, but if we don't win big and win consistently the guy making the decisions on the replacements gets the blame.

Somebody in this thread talked about if the Packers were really all that bad; Of course they weren't. But it's like the current staff started out on third base and couldn't score. Well, the new guys will be starting out on third base too (third base being having Aaron Rodgers at QB). Hopefully they can get home.
    It is unrealistic to compare ourselves to the Patriots. What they are doing is unprecedented but even they went 10 years without a ring. The only other team in the league up until this year that has been in the playoffs as consistently is the one in a small city in WI.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    It is unrealistic to compare ourselves to the Patriots. What they are doing is unprecedented but even they went 10 years without a ring. The only other team in the league up until this year that has been in the playoffs as consistently is the one in a small city in WI.
    QFT.

Before this year, Packers had the second best record in the league over the last 10 seasons, and are probably a Bostick brain fart away from another SB appearance. They had finished the regular season with double-digit victories in eight of the past 10 seasons, and have made the playoffs going on eight years straight.

Does that excuse this season? Hell no, and MM's statements that Hundley is 'much improved' worries the hell out of me.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    "Have some talent" is the key. You have to assume that any coach is gonna get his players to execute at near the top of their ability on the pro level.
    Do you though? Did, to pick a favorite whipping boy here, Slocum have his players executing at the top of their ability?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I don't think it takes too much of a genius to figure out that Smidgeon here is implying that we as a fan base are generally speaking a bunch of malcontents, and a malcontent is defined as a person who is dissatisfied, an agitator or a complainer making trouble.
    if the shoe fits...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I still blame Kurt Schottenheimer.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    I still blame Kurt Schottenheimer.
    And that is a mark against Ball. Kurt S commented about him positively in Michael Cohen's article.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Steve Bartman

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    We want more - when you have one of the best QBs of all time - you should expect multiple SB victories (look at the Pats).

In order - if the goal was making the playoffs, fine... but there's a clear difference between a playoff and SB push.

How many close playoff and NFCC losses have we watched - Seattle was bad and getting blown out last year was embarrassing.

I love Aaron. Glad he fell to us in the draft. But it's not like we traded up or found him like we did with Favre.

Woodson was a great FA. So was Peppers. But they were too infrequent. We watched this team with gaping holes at RB, OL being filled with JAGS the past few years.

I've stated my thoughts on Matthews many times. Injury prone and decent player but not worth his paycheck.

Look at TTs actual picks in a boom, jury is out, bust category and it shows more misses than hits.
    https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Conten...pson-113156654

And Dom... he's fine. But teams know his style and it got stale. Along with constant injuries and communication issues - no issues with new blood.
    How many super bowl rings does Marino have?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.