Thread: Thoughts On HC Mike McCarthy's Purge Of Packer Coaches. What makes any sense?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I saw that differently. That was tough on 'ol Sherm, but it didn't fail - except by design. Thompson came in and changed the whole structure, and Sherm was the fall guy. You bring in a new coach in that year while you're scuttling the roster to bring back cap responsibility and re-stock the shelves and that coach takes it on the chin for no reason. Also, Shermy was a winning coach and GM, and it's easier to fire him as coach after a rotten year, than after making the playoffs 4 straight years as GM and Coach. Plus, wasn't it Harlan who came up with that plan after Hatley croaked? Maybe the same thing is happening with Stubby. If he's really a good coach, he'll find a way to win this next year, possibly as the organization goes in a new direction. If he fails, then you can bring in the new guy. The only problem with that scenario, if true, is recruiting assistant coaches who believe they may be gone in a year too. What say you? Think assistants will bail, or trust in Stubby/BG/Murphy/Ball?
    Bob Harlan royally screwed the pooch by giving the coach/GM gig to the Sherm. No coach can function as half a GM (Cepting B Beli) they will always opt for short term solutions over long term strategies. I hope that in all this fury of the new GM, MM didn't get his finger in the personnel pie. That can be ruinous to a team.

Maybe MM is Goot's "buffer". Goot has a year or two with Stubby, then can make his move.

The asst's?, they will ignore the swirl in GB to get an NFL job. Maybe a Pettine type can get a shot at the big chair that way.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    The asst's?, they will ignore the swirl in GB to get an NFL job. Maybe a Pettine type can get a shot at the big chair that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mraynrand
    The only problem with that scenario, if true, is recruiting assistant coaches who believe they may be gone in a year too.
    OMG, maybe the only assistant Stubby can get is a guy who is used to be canned after just one year....
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    OMG, maybe the only assistant Stubby can get is a guy who is used to be canned after just one year....
    Just keep swapping resources with the Browns then. They are used to different job titles week to week.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Just keep swapping resources with the Browns then. They are used to different job titles week to week.
    lol
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck