Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On HC Mike McCarthy's Purge Of Packer Coaches. What makes any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Uh, some of us were. I, for one, have repeatedly complained about how our O Line always made it necessary for Rodgers to scramble and throw on the run. I also mentioned a few times that our WRs were basically overrated because they had the best QB in the history of the world throwing to them.

And about the FAs Ted went out and got, yeah, quantity-wise, he picked up a few more than usual, but literally all of those were rejects that virtually nobody else wanted including the teams they came from - same ol' same ol'.
    Doesn't Rodgers need to scramble and throw on the run because he is waiting for the secondary offense to get someone open?

He has to be near the top of holding onto the ball.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    No. They are morons. Winning = genius. Losing = morons. Why mess that up with nuance and subtlety?
    Preach it
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Doesn't Rodgers need to scramble and throw on the run because he is waiting for the secondary offense to get someone open?

That's the story some like to pass off as a defense of the O Line hahahahaha. Maybe he has to wait for the "secondary offense" to get open because receivers don't do a very good job of getting open as the play is called - which I guess would be the "primary offense".

Any way you look at it, supporting personnel has gotten more and more mediocre doing things Ted's way. Hopefully that will get turned around on both O and D with Gutekunst.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

That's the story some like to pass off as a defense of the O Line hahahahaha. Maybe he has to wait for the "secondary offense" to get open because receivers don't do a very good job of getting open as the play is called - which I guess would be the "primary offense".

Any way you look at it, supporting personnel has gotten more and more mediocre doing things Ted's way. Hopefully that will get turned around on both O and D with Gutekunst.
    I can see how you get to that explanation, but it doesn't explain McCarthy endorsing and teaching that offense. If he agrees the O line is performing badly in pass pro, he doesn't want the QB holding on to the ball.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I can see how you get to that explanation, but it doesn't explain McCarthy endorsing and teaching that offense. If he agrees the O line is performing badly in pass pro, he doesn't want the QB holding on to the ball.
    When they were performing badly, with multiple injuries across the line, he was running a lot of short passes, flat routes and WR screens. The one thing unfair to Hundley perhaps is how beat up the O-line was for a stretch while he was starting out.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    When they were performing badly, with multiple injuries across the line, he was running a lot of short passes, flat routes and WR screens. The one thing unfair to Hundley perhaps is how beat up the O-line was for a stretch while he was starting out.
    True. This year was pretty anomalous for passing and protection plus Hundley's starts. And I am actually not all that excited about all the short and shorter stuff that even ARod was calling.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    The one thing unfair to Hundley perhaps is how beat up the O-line was for a stretch while he was starting out.
    That and his inability to throw an accurate ball more than 10 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    That and his inability to throw an accurate ball more than 10 yards.
    hahahaha a string of rational posts, then back to this.

hahahaha a string of rational posts, then back to this.
    Maybe you don’t watch the games then? He’s horrible at anything over 20 yards. If PB can find some stats, he’ll post them. If I’m wrong so be it, but Rex Hundler is pretty damned inaccurate from my eye.

That's a valid point. All I can say is, you have to throw the ball down the field at least part of the time. It all come back to the fact that Aaron Rodgers is just so damn good that he can succeed most of the time even with poor O Line blocking and not much separation from his receivers - when he has to scramble and throw on the run. There wasn't much McCarthy could do in the short term to improve the O Line.

When Hundley got thrown in there, he obviously couldn't do what Aaron Rodgers could do, but what I'm saying is that virtually nobody could. I'm also saying, an immobile QB, whether veteran or young, would have floundered a lot worse with our O Line and our receivers.

Career low YPC for Cobb and Nelson this season. Adams dropped a yard and a half per catch. Everything was a bubble screen, or a 5 yard out. It was low level college O. He was a bad QB this year no matter the metric you pick. Maybe he’ll get better, maybe he won’t. All I know is what I saw on the field.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    I was disappointed by Hundley this year. Is that an understatement? I had higher hopes and higher wants as trade value. However I still believe Cobb and Nelson can be useful with Aaron on the field. That doesn't mean I wouldn't draft more WR talent if available.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    But that's what he did last time Rodgers went down. They tried Tolzein (who had come from another team), then Seneca Wallace, and had even dipped their toes in the Vince Young experiment in the offseason. Then Matt Bloody Flynn comes in and wins a couple of games (finally). All of fandom was screaming for a talented college QB to be groomed instead of a late round flyer. So TT drafted a guy pundits were expecting in rounds 2-3.

So which is it? A veteran QB? A mid round QB? Or a high draft pick that won't help the team immediately?

Honestly, I could see taking a 2nd round flyer on a guy. But definitely not the first. Unless Gute establishes he's a guru at drafting 2nd round WRs or 4th round lineman, we wouldn't be giving up the next Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, or Davante Adams.

As an aside, I would keep TT on board just for his ability to pull the trigger on the right WR in round 2. That's an impressive list considering.
    We'll never know if Seneca Wallace could have won a couple of games for us or not in 2013 because he got hurt during his second drive of his first game. Tolzien didn't have a clue what he was doing mainly cuz he was only in town a few days. Was Flynn available at the end of TC that year?

I'd prefer Gutey would draft a mid round QB and spend most of his draft and FA capital on defense and a TE with speed.

I'm hoping our new WR coach will actually teach our WRs other than Adams how to get open quicker so Aaron doesn't have to hold onto the ball forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    I was disappointed by Hundley this year. Is that an understatement? I had higher hopes and higher wants as trade value. However I still believe Cobb and Nelson can be useful with Aaron on the field. That doesn't mean I wouldn't draft more WR talent if available.
    We do need more speed at this position and you can find that in later rounds.

You’ll be hard pressed to find guys faster than Davis and Janis. Just need one (or 3) of them to actually be a WR and not just a ST player.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    You’ll be hard pressed to find guys faster than Davis and Janis. Just need one (or 3) of them to actually be a WR and not just a ST player.
    Excellent Point! We will have a new WR coach now; Hopefully somebody can persuade McCarthy to actually play those two plus Clark and Yancy. If it's really true that those young guys weren't ready to get on the field - something I very much doubt, then it means negligent coaching them up, not stupidity on the part of the players.

I've been pushing for Janis for a LONG time. He's done damn good almost every chance he has been given - GIVE HIM MORE CHANCES!

Excellent Point! We will have a new WR coach now; Hopefully somebody can persuade McCarthy to actually play those two plus Clark and Yancy. If it's really true that those young guys weren't ready to get on the field - something I very much doubt, then it means negligent coaching them up, not stupidity on the part of the players.

I've been pushing for Janis for a LONG time. He's done damn good almost every chance he has been given - GIVE HIM MORE CHANCES!
    Did you see him run the wrong route versus Minnesota and nearly collide with the WR screen that was supposed to be run?

Did you see him run the wrong route versus Minnesota and nearly collide with the WR screen that was supposed to be run?
    I read Janis ran that one correctly and it was the guy who ran into him who messed up.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I read Janis ran that one correctly and it was the guy who ran into him who messed up.
    I read the reverse, but I might have read it here.

Do you remember where?