Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On HC Mike McCarthy's Purge Of Packer Coaches. What makes any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I read the reverse, but I might have read it here.

Do you remember where?
    I think it was the film review on cheesehead.tv
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    We do need more speed at this position and you can find that in later rounds.
    Sportradar rates Packers receivers as NFL's slowest

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...st/1007206001/

No QB can throw a tortoise open......

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I feel the need for speed
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post

I saw James Jones do it over and over again just a few years ago.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

If we look at every pass play in the N.F.L. this season through Week 16, and then average the top speed of each receiver across all of those plays, the Rams have the fastest group with an average of 13.32 m.p.h. The Raiders, at 11.96, are slower than every other team except for the Packers, who are more than a mile and a half per hour slower than the Rams at 11.74 m.p.h.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    If we look at every pass play in the N.F.L. this season through Week 16, and then average the top speed of each receiver across all of those plays, the Rams have the fastest group with an average of 13.32 m.p.h. The Raiders, at 11.96, are slower than every other team except for the Packers, who are more than a mile and a half per hour slower than the Rams at 11.74 m.p.h.
    How much of that is scramble drill? It takes more time to run a stop and start or sit in a zone than it does to cover the same distance in a straight line.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    How much of that is scramble drill? It takes more time to run a stop and start or sit in a zone than it does to cover the same distance in a straight line.
    It seems like more a reflection of the speed of the offense. Might be due to a lot of short routes and WR screens due to the utter incompetency of downfield throwing by a certain QB who is worth a #2 and #4 draft pick, according to a certain poster from Texas.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Its an aggregate of each player's single top recorded speed in a game this year by team, averaged. It says nothing about average speed. There doesn't appear to be a minimum amount of plays for the player to be counted. It's not great data, but it could be a bit telling I suppose.

I've often said Packer WRs can't get open. Top end speed doesn't help much with that though.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar

Its hard to ignore the speed demons at WR that teams brought to the playoffs this year. Pittsburgh and New Orleans are especially loaded.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I would have zero problem totally rebooting the WR and pass rushing groups this off-season. The Packers haven't been able to get open or get deep since early 2015. Remember 2011 where we seemingly hit a 50 yard bomb weekly. I miss that.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I would have zero problem totally rebooting the WR and pass rushing groups this off-season. The Packers haven't been able to get open or get deep since early 2015. Remember 2011 where we seemingly hit a 50 yard bomb weekly. I miss that.
    Yep. Difference makers on offense aged out and/or replaced by 'meh' as well. Who is left? Rodgers and Bacteria. Maybe a running back.

We do need more speed at this position and you can find that in later rounds.
    Maybe things will be different with Gute, but TT had no real success drafting WR's after the 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Maybe things will be different with Gute, but TT had no real success drafting WR's after the 3rd round.
    Boy ain't that the truth. He made some hay in round 2 though.

Its hard to ignore the speed demons at WR that teams brought to the playoffs this year. Pittsburgh and New Orleans are especially loaded.
    That equation has hit a hard limit though.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Well, it is one thing to be fast. It is completely different to be fast, catch the ball and actually run the play that was called.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I saw James Jones do it over and over again just a few years ago.
    Exactly. We don't need speed demons. We have one already in Janis who is now stuck on ST.

Exactly. We don't need speed demons. We have one already in Janis who is now stuck on ST.
    It does help to have a deep threat though. During much of James Jones' career, he was halped by the fact that the Packers had Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson, guys who had deep speed that defenses had to respect. The Packers need to get back to drafting one of those types of guys. It would Adams even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It does help to have a deep threat though. During much of James Jones' career, he was halped by the fact that the Packers had Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson, guys who had deep speed that defenses had to respect. The Packers need to get back to drafting one of those types of guys. It would Adams even better.
    It also helped to have James Jones, who despite pedestrian speed somehow got an angle on DBs. Once he learned to catch over the shoulder he was a nightmare to cover deep.

Mostly I think his advantage was size and the willingness to run some inside routes. DBs had to honor his feints inside.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

We do need "speed demons" - more accurately, we need to make more use of the ones we already have, Janis at the top of the list, but Davis and Yancy also. The lack of speed at WR allows defenses to pack it in and make it a lot more difficult even for shorter throws.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    It also helped to have James Jones, who despite pedestrian speed somehow got an angle on DBs. Once he learned to catch over the shoulder he was a nightmare to cover deep.

Mostly I think his advantage was size and the willingness to run some inside routes. DBs had to honor his feints inside.
    James Jones was a press coverage escape artist.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.