Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MCCARTHY WANTS MORE TALENT FROM THE NEXT PACKERS GM......JS

Blog Entries

MCCARTHY WANTS MORE TALENT FROM THE NEXT PACKERS GM......JS

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

This Guy is absolutely burning himself. It's just unbelievable to watch him not perform.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

He asked the same question that many of us have mans asking, and answering

The answer is “no”, we are not doing everything we can to win a championship

It would have been nice for M3 to have this sense of urgency prior to 2018.

“I know what I’m in control of. I’m in control of making sure we’re doing everything we can, everything we can to win a championship. That’s what this process is.”
    Frankly this kinda reeks of panic now that the revolution is going outside. I am not impressed with his throwing other people under the bus in this manner.

I kinda wished they had started over. If they were going to dump Ted, dump the coach too and put the new GM in charge of fixing on the fly.

I have been through this before. Half measures don't normally work. Half measure get you Bud Carson, Mike Sherman as GM and Buddy Nix. I don't think it was broken (except to decide between Dom and Ted's approach) but sacking the two of them means the third should have gone too.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Agreed on the half measures.

An outside GM may replace M3 anyway.

As a guess - I think Aaron is pulling some of these strings - Bennet, Van Pelt, keeping M3 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    It would have been nice for M3 to have this sense of urgency prior to 2018.

Frankly this kinda reeks of panic now that the revolution is going outside. I am not impressed with his throwing other people under the bus in this manner.

I kinda wished they had started over. If they were going to dump Ted, dump the coach too and put the new GM in charge of fixing on the fly.

I have been through this before. Half measures don't normally work. Half measure get you Bud Carson, Mike Sherman as GM and Buddy Nix. I don't think it was broken (except to decide between Dom and Ted's approach) but sacking the two of them means the third should have gone too.
    I am not convinced that this is all desperation mode. Before Rodgers went down the Packers looked to be as good as any team in the NFC. Under Hundley the offense suddenly became inept and the defense proved unable to bottle and reproduce its early brilliant performance against Seattle. But if you could replay the season and avoid the key injuries, I would wager that the 2017 Packers would be as good if not better than the 2016 version.

Moving forward, the departure of Capers is related to the defense's underperformance over the past two years, but it is far less clear what prompted the reassignment of TT. Was it because his efforts to restock talent have failed? Or was it because health and/or age were preventing him from carrying out all of his duties? I am not convinced that we are seeing a revolution here. And McCarthy's continued presence is evidence that the surrounding pieces may be moving for various reasons.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    I'm never a fan of a HC throwing anybody under the bus.

Saying that, I highly doubt Ball gets the job if he has no intention of using Free Agency to help this team. Everybody shitting on Ball bc he's a 'finance' guy, I get what you're saying, but realize you're jumping to conclusions. And now that MM has thrown Ted under the proverbial bus, any new GM will be under the FA microscope. If your argument is Ball doesn't know personnel, that is what the scouting department is for.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    An outside GM may replace M3 anyway.

As a guess - I think Aaron is pulling some of these strings - Bennet, Van Pelt, keeping M3 for now.
    From what I understand Aaron has become very close to Van Pelt so I doubt Rodgers is pulling any strings here. But he did do one thing - by being unavailable he truly exposed how dependent we are to his considerable skills camouflaging the shortcomings on the rest of the roster. After crashing and burning this year and missing the playoffs they all had to finally realize they weren't doing everything they could to win championships. IMO having a season like we just had was a blessing in disguise. Maybe now all of these changes will help us get at least one more ring before #12 retires.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    I'm never a fan of a HC throwing anybody under the bus.

Saying that, I highly doubt Ball gets the job if he has no intention of using Free Agency to help this team. Everybody shitting on Ball bc he's a 'finance' guy, I get what you're saying, but realize you're jumping to conclusions. And now that MM has thrown Ted under the proverbial bus, any new GM will be under the FA microscope. If your argument is Ball doesn't know personnel, that is what the scouting department is for.
    I watched Mike's presser and I didn't get the impression he was throwing Ted under the bus. What did he say that gives you and other here that impression that I'm missing here?

I did not watch the presser, so maybe its the headlines. But saying MM wants more talent from the next GM is kinda throwing the last GM under the bus. Thats how I felt when reading the article.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    I did not watch the presser, so maybe its the headlines. But saying MM wants more talent from the next GM is kinda throwing the last GM under the bus. Thats how I felt when reading the article.
    If he said that I don't recall it and it might be because he intimated that everyone in the building didn't do enough in the past couple of seasons to win and these changes had to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    If he said that I don't recall it and it might be because he intimated that everyone in the building didn't do enough in the past couple of seasons to win and these changes had to be made.
    That's fine and all, like I said it could just be the headline at the top of this thread, but you're kinda burying the lead. Thats not really my point, my point was that its obvious this team needs more talent. I doubt any GM brought in is going to treat FA the same way Ted did. So the folks poo pooing Ball are just assuming based on 'finance'.

But I'm making assumptions as well, I'm assuming Eliot paid attention to and learned from his dad and Ted Thompson. My hope is he brings the best of both worlds and has a finance guy like Ball to help him out.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    First post in the Packer Forum in a quite a long time. The High School Football season took quite the toll on my time in 2017. The team managed to make it to State with an undefeated record, but lost the championship by one point. It was a great season to be a part of the coaching staff. With the high investment in the high school program it was difficult to spend a lot of time on the below average product of the NFL and the Packers.

The Packers Roster lacks talent, and lacks depth of talent at just about every position. The receiving corps isn't as good without Rodgers. The tight ends are basically nonexistent under McCarthy for the last 10 years, and the offensive line which is supposed to be one of the better ones in football can't stay healthy. The Packers brain trust was smart, and drafted 3 running backs in 2017 that look like they can all contribute and solidify the position. There is no Ahman Green in that group but they can all be effective. Rodgers was the magic that holds this offense together. He make Nelson look like Jerry Rice, because without Rodgers Nelson is a ghost. The Packers have a lot of holes to fix this off season to get the offense back to being one of the better ranked units in the NFL. Right now they have no right tackle, their right guard is old as dirt and probably won't be back. The receiving corps is holding up a lot of cap space and you can speculate that Cobb will be cut, and Nelson might also have to look to take a pay cut. Rodgers will not like the fact that two of his targets could be sent packing but too bad. If Rodgers wants another run at a Super Bowl he might have to wait as the team reloads to have a legit shot at making back to a Super Bowl. Favre had to do it, and he was unhappy about it and complained, and I expect Rodgers to do the same under new management.

The defense is so bad for so many reasons. Dom's 3-4 zone blitz scheme seems to have run it's course. Part of the reason is that Dom never got the right players for his defense with any consistency. Outside of 2008 when Thompson drafted Raji and Matthews Thompson struggled to find the right players for this defense. His idea of converting defensive ends to linebackers was pretty much a failure at every turn. Nick Perry should have never been resigned, he was a one year wonder. The secondary has had no consistency since 2010. Because Dom and Ted could never get on the same page both of them have lost their jobs. I think it was a fair move for both of them. The Packers need to lose Matthews. He is done. They need to find someone to play next to Martinez, and invest in defensive line depth. The Packers still don't have a proven number one corner and were down to the bottom of the barrel at the end of the season. The safety play was as bad this year as it has ever been, but that can be fixed as long as guys are healthy and motivated.

McCarthy is right this team needs more talent to meet expectations. McCarthy has had two losing seasons in Green Bay. He should have a chance in 2018 to show he can be the coach to win another Super Bowl in Green Bay.

100% agree Nutz

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Well, all the rumblings amount to people not being on the same page. I don't know how you can Stubby for his performance. When cleaning house, you don't throw out the expensive dining room table just because you have particle board desks falling apart in the office.

If the Nutz assessment is true (and you should trust championship losing coaches, I've heard), the Packer cupboard is pretty bare. I don't think it's that dire, but there are at least 4-5 major roster holes, and at some of critical positions (e.g. O Tackle, OLB, TE).

Hoping they get a functioning personnel team that works with Stubby, and a DC who is a little nasty.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I am not convinced that this is all desperation mode. Before Rodgers went down the Packers looked to be as good as any team in the NFC. Under Hundley the offense suddenly became inept and the defense proved unable to bottle and reproduce its early brilliant performance against Seattle. But if you could replay the season and avoid the key injuries, I would wager that the 2017 Packers would be as good if not better than the 2016 version.

Moving forward, the departure of Capers is related to the defense's underperformance over the past two years, but it is far less clear what prompted the reassignment of TT. Was it because his efforts to restock talent have failed? Or was it because health and/or age were preventing him from carrying out all of his duties? I am not convinced that we are seeing a revolution here. And McCarthy's continued presence is evidence that the surrounding pieces may be moving for various reasons.
    I don't think the moves on offense are desperation. But I cannot shake the feeling that Capers would be here if they made the playoffs again. And the same dynamic would be in place unless the new GM wants to stock defense with vets.

And since that is backwards from how good franchises work, I think the wholesale changes on D are a bit of desperation.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    From what I understand Aaron has become very close to Van Pelt so I doubt Rodgers is pulling any strings here. But he did do one thing - by being unavailable he truly exposed how dependent we are to his considerable skills camouflaging the shortcomings on the rest of the roster. After crashing and burning this year and missing the playoffs they all had to finally realize they weren't doing everything they could to win championships. IMO having a season like we just had was a blessing in disguise. Maybe now all of these changes will help us get at least one more ring before #12 retires.
    Van Pelt wanted to hit coaching FA. Rodgers knew this. Only certain reporters didn't recognize this.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-05-2018 at 12:54 PM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I don't think the moves on offense are desperation. But I cannot shake the feeling that Capers would be here if they made the playoffs again. And the same dynamic would be in place unless the new GM wants to stock defense with vets.

And since that is backwards from how good franchises work, I think the wholesale changes on D are a bit of desperation.
    It doesn't look like desperation - more of an admission that the current situation wasn't working. Whomever does in as GM and DC will have to work out the same issues, but it's likely that guys will be hired with that working a requirement.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck