Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MCCARTHY WANTS MORE TALENT FROM THE NEXT PACKERS GM......JS

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I hope M3 gets done like Mike Sherman. New GM brings in his own guy after lameducking M3 for a year.

Hey, it worked out pretty good, resulting in the 2007 13-3 season. Let Rodgers have a career refresh also.

The way things are set up, I'm more concerned that Mikey-Mike's backbiting to Murphy will result in Gutty getting sacked after a year if the Packers don't get to the SB. Because MM's go-to now appears to be that he just wasn't given enough talent.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    The way things are set up, I'm more concerned that Mikey-Mike's backbiting to Murphy will result in Gutty getting sacked after a year if the Packers don't get to the SB. Because MM's go-to now appears to be that he just wasn't given enough talent.
    Regarding M3, if this went down the way most of us see it going down (i.e. power grab/complaint channel), then my opinion of M3 has tanked faster than the Packers starting Hundley.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    In fact, he wasn't given enough talent, and if Gutekunst doesn't take some major steps in that direction, then maybe he would deserve to get sacked after a year or so.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Regarding M3, if this went down the way most of us see it going down (i.e. power grab/complaint channel), then my opinion of M3 has tanked faster than the Packers starting Hundley.
    Yup, Shit move by fat mike

I lost what little respect I had left for the guy

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The hit rate on free agents is no more than the draft. We are talking about a couple of bodies each year. And the older the team, the less FA you can sign.
    Drafting is certainly how you build a roster, but drafting year after year at the end of every round takes a toll on the talent of the roster. If a drafting only strategies is the way your team builds its roster than you better hope you have a creative GM that figures out ways to add picks

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Drafting is certainly how you build a roster, but drafting year after year at the end of every round takes a toll on the talent of the roster. If a drafting only strategies is the way your team builds its roster than you better hope you have a creative GM that figures out ways to add picks
    One pricey FA a year would sort out the draft handicap though. That doesn't seem to be what anyone wants though.

JSO and lots of posters wanted vet depth in the secondary to prevent Dom from having to start safeties at CB or rookie CBs. This year, they would have needed 2 or 3 vet CBs to ride it out.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    TTs heaven reliance on draft and develop also adds to this. We had to keep guys on the roster who shouldnt have been there because we had no other options.

8-10 picks for year, you have to keep 52+ps, means the average lifespan of a TT pick was 5-6 years

If Tt had used free agency more, a lot of those guys would have been out of the nfl sooner imo
    Your opinion is wrong. I should simply end the post there, but I will point out the guys like Kyrie Thornton and Eric Walden played several years for other teams. Allen Barbre and Breno Giacominni are still in the league. I can do this all day with guys who weren't good enough for TTs roster, but played a lot of years in the league....Marshall Newhouse anyone.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

So of all of TT's picks how many are still in the NFL? lol Please do the work...I'm to lazy.
    C.H.U.D.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    So of all of TT's picks how many are still in the NFL? lol Please do the work...I'm to lazy.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../gnb/draft.htm
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Excluding the last two Drafts or the 2015 Draft and going back to Aaron Rodgers and the 2005 Draft::

45 out of 105 TT Picks are still playing in the NFL.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Excluding the last two Drafts or the 2015 Draft and going back to Aaron Rodgers and the 2005 Draft::

45 out of 105 TT Picks are still playing in the NFL.
    So I would think thats not to bad.....right?
    C.H.U.D.

So I would think thats not to bad.....right?
    I would think that's pretty amazing. Average life for an NFL player is 3 years.

Not amazing, but certainly good. Checked 4 additional teams, New England, Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Minnesota for that same time frame. Green Bay had more picks still in the NFL than any of those teams and a higher percentage of picks still in the NFL.

You can't fault Thompson for not drafting NFL ready players.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ^^^ The football entitlementia and lack of perspective from some on this board is astonishing. People were actually giving Thompson D and F grades. My new years' resolution is to simply ignite* such idiots.

*ignore. But ignite would work too.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    ^^^ The football entitlementia and lack of perspective from some on this board is astonishing. People were actually giving Thompson D and F grades. My new years' resolution is to simply ignite* such idiots.

*ignore. But ignite would work too.
    I was gonna say going Richard Pryor/Michael Jackson on them seems drastic....

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    I was gonna say going Richard Pryor/Michael Jackson on them seems drastic....
    I was rehearsing a concert sequence for a film with my brothers, hit Reply With Quote on PackerRats and suddenly my head was on fire.

Now that is a hack.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

LOL @ you three.
    C.H.U.D.

Some boring TT draft stats:

* 56% of TT's picks (through 2014 draft) were in the league for more than three years worth of games--excluding games lost due to injury
    * 16% of TT's picks (through 2011 draft) played in more than 100 games
    * In every year through 2014 except 2007, 2010, TT has drafted a Pro Bowler, and you could make the case someone from each of those years has deserved a spot (Crosby from the 2007 class; Bulaga from the 2010 class)
    * 11% of TT's picks have started more than 90% of the games they've played in
    * 18% of TT's picks have played in more than 90% of the games they were available for (excluding injury)
    * 15% of TT's picks that played at least in one NFL game either led the league in a major stat or were probowl/allpro/mvp players

I could break it down more, but I didn't care to.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Some boring TT draft stats:

* 56% of TT's picks (through 2014 draft) were in the league for more than three years worth of games--excluding games lost due to injury
    * 16% of TT's picks (through 2011 draft) played in more than 100 games
    * In every year through 2014 except 2007, 2010, TT has drafted a Pro Bowler, and you could make the case someone from each of those years has deserved a spot (Crosby from the 2007 class; Bulaga from the 2010 class)
    * 11% of TT's picks have started more than 90% of the games they've played in
    * 18% of TT's picks have played in more than 90% of the games they were available for (excluding injury)
    * 15% of TT's picks that played at least in one NFL game either led the league in a major stat or were probowl/allpro/mvp players

I could break it down more, but I didn't care to.
    ...................................... .........................................
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau