Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MIKE MCCARTHY ISN’T FOND OF RUSS BALL

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    High smith was climbing up the charts in GB. He was trusted plenty.
    just tellin ya what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Maybe a great scout would make a shitty GM. I like to eat, that doesn’t make me a world class chef.
    This happens in other professions all of the time. In my own experience, a number of strong engineers and scientists have made shitty managers.

In TT's case, I believe he was very good at scouting talent AND a good people manager, even if not particularly warm with the public.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    He did sound a bit bitter...

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/01...ond-russ-ball/

MIKE MCCARTHY ISN’T FOND OF RUSS BALL
    .... 01/05/2018

" ... Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy has known director of player finance Russ Ball since 1993. In years past, McCarthy has praised Ball and talked about what a great general manager he would make.

Things have apparently soured in that relationship. Former Packers beat writer Bob McGinn wrote a lengthy piece on Friday detailing the relationship. In it, he suggests that if Ball is hired as the Packers’ general manager, McCarthy may consider leaving the Packers. ... "

Comment woodbuck27:

How many Rings are in this Circus?
    Well, we can put this rumor to bed with McCarthy's reported agreement to bring back Joe Philbin and the hiring of WR coach "Jeff Hostetler". M3 isn't going to be bringing guys in and then hauling off and resigning b/c he doesn't like Cappie Russ as GM choice. That would mean Philbin & Hoss would both be in limbo and a new coach in all likelihood would pick his own staff, as he should. McCarthy would be ridiculed in such a scenario. No way that's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Well, we can put this rumor to bed with McCarthy's reported agreement to bring back Joe Philbin and the hiring of WR coach "Jeff Hostetler". M3 isn't going to be bringing guys in and then hauling off and resigning b/c he doesn't like Cappie Russ as GM choice. That would mean Philbin & Hoss would both be in limbo and a new coach in all likelihood would pick his own staff, as he should. McCarthy would be ridiculed in such a scenario. No way that's happening.
    MM isn't going anywhere, at least, for another Season.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-06-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    This happens in other professions all of the time. In my own experience, a number of strong engineers and scientists have made shitty managers.

In TT's case, I believe he was very good at scouting talent AND a good people manager, even if not particularly warm with the public.
    Same. Tons of engineers move into management and suck horribly. If Ball can get smart people around him and make sound decisions, he’d be awesome. Most football people have such singular confidence in themselves that it can blind them to other ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    MM isn't going anywhere at least for another Season.

" McCarthy's reported agreement to bring back Joe Philbin and the hiring of WR coach "Jeff Hostetler"..." esoxx

Jeff Hostetler? I'm not seeing anything yet and a 'Jeff Hostetler' connection to Green Bay.
    Just a play on words/names. New WR coach Jim Hostler's name reminds of ol' hoss Jeff Hostetler from the NYG. Possibly the worst starting QB to win a SB BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    It would. Which is why there are usually disaster stories when this happens across the league. People can't keep quiet when their (correct) analysis is ignored.

I'm guessing that was not an issue with TT, that he set the board fairly based on the scouts' inputs. Otherwise they'd be running to greener pastures long ago.
    We have (for whatever were their personal reasons) lost four good 'Front Office' Executives under TT's Tenure as Packer GM.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-to-remain-gm

" ..The Packers have watched both John Schneider and Reggie McKenzie leave Green Bay for successful GM assignments with Seattle and Oakland, respectively. It's fair to wonder if the team would eventually aim to promote well-respected director of football operations Eliot Wolf, but those plans are on hold for now." "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D...ican_football)

John Dorsey

Green Bay Packers (2000–2011) - Director of College Scouting.

Green Bay Packers (2012) - Director of Football Operations.

Add Alonzo Highsmith
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

High smith was climbing up the charts in GB. He was trusted plenty.
    By Thompson apparently. I'm assuming his comments were aimed at someone else. Murphy? Ball?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post

AGREE
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    By Thompson apparently. I'm assuming his comments were aimed at someone else. Murphy? Ball?

That is how I read it as well
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    Right, and I think his success in GB means he must be talking about Cleveland and Dorsey, not GB and Murphy.

He also got a promotion and likely a pay raise in the move. He was telling people that this development was great.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ball has no authority over Highsmith.

Murphy doesn't interact with him regularly. The only topic here would be Alonzo getting an interview with Murphy about being Packers GM.

Maybe three internal candidates were enough.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ball has no authority over Highsmith.

Murphy doesn't interact with him regularly. The only topic here would be Alonzo getting an interview with Murphy about being Packers GM.

Maybe three internal candidates were enough.
    I think that was the topic. I think Highsmith felt he deserved a chance for an interview, but wasn't getting it because someone at the top doesn't trust him. I think he was referring to Murphy, although we don't know exactly how much Ball's role has expanded in recent years beyond managing the cap.

I think that was the topic. I think Highsmith felt he deserved a chance for an interview, but wasn't getting it because someone at the top doesn't trust him. I think he was referring to Murphy, although we don't know exactly how much Ball's role has expanded in recent years beyond managing the cap.
    Actually, we have an idea.

Cohen: The media guide says his daily supervision includes the following departments: athletic training, equipment, video, corporate travel, player development, family programs and public relations

Plus the fact that none of the personnel lieutenants seem to lack titles Ball has.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    I also viewed Highsmith's comment as a shot against the Packer organization on the way out of town.

I hope Ball stays as the numbers guy with Gut.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    yup. that statement was pretty telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I hope Ball stays as the numbers guy with Gut.
    NOT if his hardball tactics continue with Gutenheimerschmidt!!

Right, and I think his success in GB means he must be talking about Cleveland and Dorsey, not GB and Murphy.
    you mean thompson. i took it as him saying his input wasn't trusted/valued by thompson.