Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers hire Brian Gutekunst as GM

Blog Entries
    The other shoe (of many shoes) drops.

Didn't wait until Monday. Glad to see the drama stop.

Like it.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Didn't wait until Monday. Glad to see the drama stop.
    yup. the personnel guy over the numbers guy. that's good. hope he's got balls. guess we'll see soon enough. if he does that'll put the onus on MM to put up or shut up.

If we couldn't get Schneider Gut was the guy I wanted Murphy to hire. I'd wager MM didn't want to lose him to the Texans.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Love it.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutt!

E. Wolf must be feeling gut shot over this decision.

Shall we call him Gut or Gute?

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    E. Wolf must be feeling gut shot over this decision.
    Isn't Wolf like 34? No chance do I want someone that young to be GM. Assistant sure but not the big chair.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Shall we call him Gut or Gute?
    Gute is phonetically correct and also a nod to his Minnesota heritage. Like lukefisk, notice the "e" in there?

I like it. The packers have had their personnel team raided the last several years. This might be our last strong, capable and ready guy in the wings. Now we have to keep it going. Thompson will still scout and advise. So that’s very helpful.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...ob/1011265001/

The hiring of Gutekunst is a huge victory for coach Mike McCarthy, who badly wanted someone who was experienced in player personnel and would be willing to partake in all phases of player acquisition.

Gutekunst has never expressed what his style of management would be, but having worked with Ron Wolf and current general managers John Schneider, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie, all of whom have been aggressive in player acquisition, it’s likely he’s more open to free agency than Thompson.

Huh.

One more conspiracy minded theory before I buy in. Gutekunst was being represented (or identified might be a better term) by the search firm that was helping the Texans search for a GM. He was identified this weekend as a finalist for interviews next week for Houston. Murphy has used that search firm before and one of that firms partners is advising Murphy about the GM search.

Is it a coincidence that Gutekunst got the nod a little faster than expected?

Brian Gutekunst is the least objectionable choice of the three know candidates. And this is fine. Its also a reason not to be that excited. I hope he is just as ruthless as Ted and that includes stuffing McCarthy in a box and dropping him in the Fox River if he keeps whining about everyone else not doing their job.

I am not very excited.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    yup. the personnel guy over the numbers guy. that's good. hope he's got balls. guess we'll see soon enough. if he does that'll put the onus on MM to put up or shut up.
    We are 2/3 in agreement on remaining issues! I hope he knocks some heads together and gets the drama ended.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    BG...Dilly. Dilly.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

He looks like the kind of guy who would have some balls. Not surprising they went this direction over Wolf, given Gute seemed to be getting more interviews around the league over the last couple years. Now I'm reading on Twitter that "NFL sources" felt he was a future front office star two years ago.

Really don't hate this hire even though I wanted them to wait and get Paton or DeCosta, but those were hardly guarantees. Ball would have been a disaster even from a PR standpoint and fan confidence would probably be pretty low. I'm excited about just someone new who won't be afraid to pick up the phone himself to talk with agents and try to work some magic. I have a feeling TT was just a complete hermit when it came to this kind of thing.

I just want to note that this statement:

Gutekunst has never expressed what his style of management would be, but having worked with Ron Wolf and current general managers John Schneider, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie, all of whom have been aggressive in player acquisition, it’s likely he’s more open to free agency than Thompson.
    is the most logically incoherent statement I have read in a week full of them. Its bafflingly stupid.

Now convince Ball to stay and you've got the best situation you could have hoped for.