Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Nick Perry

Goodbye Nick Perry

Everyone will always remember that you didn't really want to play OLB for seven years and 2 contracts. Even if it wasn't true.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
    Packers are releasing Nick Perry after agreeing to terms Preston Smith and ZaDarius Smith. Was set to make $11M this season. Will b e a market for him for sure. Young enough and is healthy after battling injuries in 2018
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

And this play:

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ah, I liked Perry. I have to admit though that he did seem to get injured quite a bit.

The JSO article on all the signings says the Packers have indicated they're going to release Perry, but the article also says it seems "Highly unlikely" now that they'll re-sign Clay Matthews. Geez. He's a bit of a security blanket. I'd like to see them re-sign him and move him inside.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    If you're evaluating Ted Thompson draft busts purely on outcome I think there is a case that Nick Perry is his worst ever pick. While other picks have done less for the Packers, none have done so little for so long for such a cost. Perry's career is a near optimization on how to keep expectations high while contributing as little as possible over the course of seven years. Would the Packers not have been better off had Perry flamed out quickly like Harrell or Sherrod? At that point they are down the opportunity cost of a 1st round pick and a rookie signing bonus. Instead he showed just enough at every point to keep the Packers investing in him as an important part of their defensive plans while always falling short of expectations except of course in contract years. I'm not saying he's intentionally a con man but everyone knows he's going to rack up a dozen sacks this year for some team and seduce them into a another 40 million dollar commitment right?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    If you're evaluating Ted Thompson draft busts purely on outcome I think there is a case that Nick Perry is his worst ever pick. While other picks have done less for the Packers, none have done so little for so long for such a cost. Perry's career is a near optimization on how to keep expectations high while contributing as little as possible over the course of seven years. Would the Packers not have been better off had Perry flamed out quickly like Harrell or Sherrod? At that point they are down the opportunity cost of a 1st round pick and a rookie signing bonus. Instead he showed just enough at every point to keep the Packers investing in him as an important part of their defensive plans while always falling short of expectations except of course in contract years. I'm not saying he's intentionally a con man but everyone knows he's going to rack up a dozen sacks this year for some team and seduce them into a another 40 million dollar commitment right?
    This.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    You know I despise the fishmongers, so I'm cool with Perry milking them somewhat. I wish I, a burger-flipper could milk my fishy employers out of 40 million frogskins- alas, I still flip burgers literally AND figuratively.

What's uncool is, hiphop safety Harrison Smith fell to Todd like the Great Arm of Butte did in 05, and Todd still took the 43 DE to play OLB in a 34.

Collins was just KIA-ed in the arena. Peprah or Banjo or McMillan or Earl Little or some other wanker started games at the free. Smith would've been glorious in the Green and Gold.
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 03-12-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Btw, did someone say in the other thread that Claymaker will be back? If true, my pal Nutz is gonna be pissed as fuck.

Myself, I'd be jolly as fuck.

They save almost no money this year by releasing him

So the team just wanted him gone

Does this mean anything? Like the team knows they are able to sign someone else? Or does it just mean perry sucked?

Good luck Nate.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

Does this mean anything? Like the team knows they are able to sign someone else? Or does it just mean perry sucked?
    The Packers could save $3.3 million against the cap by releasing him now or $10.7 million if they release him with the June 2 designation. It does save them some money to use elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
    Will b e a market for him for sure. Young enough and is healthy after battling injuries in 2018
    And 2017,2016,2015,2014, 2013,2012. Dude missed games every year and even most of the years he played 14-15 games he was hindered by nagging stuff wearing braces/clubs etc., leaving games early it seemed. Talented player, but I just don't think he could ever establish much momentum. Always dinged up. I could see him getting a one year show me type deal for 7 mil or so. Good luck Nick.

No, they save cash because he is due a bonus AND they can designate some of the pro-ration to next year.

Bad take.

Packer Report
    Going through Scouting Combine lunch convo with Gutekunst now. Just saw @RobDemovsky's brilliant question to Gutey about Nick Perry. I'm not even sure it was a question. Something along lines of, "You can't pay him that."

Heard this Q&A and Gutey was far more hesitant on this than Demovsky. To me this suggests if they did not get two OLB targets, he might have been back.

If they release him with a "Post June 1 designation", they will gain more cap space later in the year for the draft class.

Has it gotten to the point where 3.3 million is almost no money?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Has it gotten to the point where 3.3 million is almost no money?
    With a cap approaching 200 million?

Yes 3.3 is almost nothing

Rob Demovsky
    Nick Perry's release came without a post-June 1 designation, according to the NFL's official transactions. That means the Packers are taking the big dead money hit ($11.1 million) right away. They'll still save $3,337,500 in cap space this year but... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41057572-4

No Post June 1 designation.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Rob Demovsky
    Nick Perry's release came without a post-June 1 designation, according to the NFL's official transactions. That means the Packers are taking the big dead money hit ($11.1 million) right away. They'll still save $3,337,500 in cap space this year but... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41057572-4

No Post June 1 designation.
    Strange. Unless they're getting ready for another signing and need the roster spot? Just guessing.

This is something I've thought several times, but never able to put it so succinctly. There are a lot of players who have careers like this -- you wonder how they manage to stick around or get the contracts they do.

As for Perry himself, I was with Fritz and thought he was a player who flashed potential, and early in his career was forcing fumbles on QB hits..but then he'd disappear on the field or the trainer's room. Eventually those players have to be replaced by someone more reliable and consistent. I think they've done that with the Smiths.

All the same I wish Perry good luck wherever he lands.

I'm gonna have to come up with a new post-draft avatar.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png