Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Packers hire Brian Gutekunst as GM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    Gutekunst, 44, was hired by Ron Wolf as a scouting intern in 1997. Left for one year and returned as a college scout. Has been with the #Packers ever since. He is steeped in the Wolf way of running football operations. Not unlike Schneider, Dorsey, McKenzie.

Why does everyone write as though 2000 was just yesterday? Gutekunst worked with Wolf for three years. With Ted for 13. Mike Sherman and Hatley for four.

Russ Ball worked with Schottenheimer and Loomis for 13 years but everyone treats him like he is Ted's son.
    Brother...lol
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Plenty of questions about what Eliot Wolf will do now that the Packers hired Brian Gutekunst as GM. Here’s the reaction from his Hall of Fame father, former Packers GM Ron Wolf: “At least he had the opportunity to interview for it,” Ron Wolf told ESPN.com. “Obviously the people up there don’t think he’s worthy or they would’ve hired him. End of discussion.”

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Salty as always.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Demovsky:
    GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Here’s how one highly placed source at Lambeau Field handicapped the Green Bay Packers' general manager race: “John Schneider would be a grand slam, but Brian Gutekunst would be a home run.”

Who is this source? The people in the best position to judge this were interviewed. Do scouts actually know who will be the best? I think scout worship has gone a step too far.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...estions-linger
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    No Gutes, No Glory.

I like this one.

Same article:

The internal reluctance to hire Ball was rooted in the idea that he would be a continuation of the Ted Thompson way, i.e., largely ignoring free agency and relying heavily on the draft. In fact, Ball has had a large role in the Packers’ roster-building efforts the past two seasons as Thompson, 64, aged and cut back his schedule. It's believed that Ball actually made the call on whether to re-sign free agents Julius Peppers and Micah Hyde last offseason.
    The most Ted thing to do is to sign your own (that would have included Hyde and maybe Peppers) and ignore free agents.

So they did not sign their own and singed free agents.

But some boneheads in the org see Russ Ball's hands on the two least popular decisions last offseason and Demovsky doesn't mention 3 FA signings that happened while Ball supposedly had this larger role. But the fear of FA still makes it into the piece despite the logical inconsistency.

Does anyone else sense a concerted effort to undermine Ball here?

There has been a lot of public jockeying for this job going back a couple of years. We have had a few Eliot Wolf write ups and one about Gutekunst over a year ago. Ball got a profile at the beginning of this year and it contained no comments from the Packers or the Saints. Has all the media about this event been arranged by their agents?

It might have been that Ted's greatest achievement was to get them all to shut up and concentrate on football for 12/13 years. Favre's exit was the exception.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...milar-approach

“Everyone says ‘Gutey’ is the next John Schneider,” a longtime NFL agent said Sunday night after news broke that Gutekunst would succeed Ted Thompson as the Packers' GM.

The Packers couldn’t get Schneider, the Seahawks' general manager out of Seattle, but perhaps they got the next-best thing.
    “Gutey’s very approachable; I think that’s where I can see the biggest similarity with John,” said a high-ranking NFL personnel executive who has worked with Schneider and has known Gutekunst. “They’re both egoless and they’re approachable.

“Gutey hasn’t been out there selling himself. It’s always the Packers’ organization first.”

Because of that, the personnel executive believes Gutekunst will run his department in similar fashion to how Schneider operates in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Anyone but Ted!
    I scanned through five pages of posts, and this one made the most sense.

It woulda been all out stupid to give up a draft pick to get Schneider; If there's any truth to McCarthy and Rodgers campaigning against Ball, it woulda been dumb to choose him.

Gutekunst starts out fresh. I HOPE he departs significantly from Ted's way of doing things, specifically his steadfast refusal to go after top quality free agents. The only negative about the guy IMO is that, not having been a GM before, we have to take it on faith that he will change policy that way.

Hiring from within and hiring probably the least touted of the current people probably indicates a commitment to stay with McCarthy until he is ready to retire or if it became obvious to get rid of him. I'm ok with that - I'm not that fired up about McCarthy's way of doing things, but his hallmark is playing not to lose, which far more often than not, results in winning, even if the win is less spectacular than it might have been.

So let's get used to Gutekunst - he probably will be the Packers GM for the next 20 or so years.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

http://www.12up.com/posts/5943989-br...gm?a_aid=36676

Brian Gutekunst Makes First Signing As New Packers GM

Nick Rodriguez ...10 JAN 2018
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

http://www.packers.com/media-center/...d-95311df8760c

Rock Report: Competition is King

Competition is one of the cornerstones of the Brian Gutekunst philosophy. Analyst Larry McCarren has the details.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Mark Murphy and the Process of hiring Brian Gutekunst.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/...3-2e70a69a7c64

Posted: Jan 8, 2018

Murphy details 'intense' hiring process for GM Gutekunst

Hear President/CEO Mark Murphy and newly appointed General Manager Brian Gutekunst discuss the Packers' new administrative structure, the GM hiring process, and Gutekunst's vision for the future of the Green Bay Packers.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...ut/1070372001/

It sounds like TT will be way more than just a figurehead. This quote is interesting and makes me think this was TT's idea largely to step away. I'll be totally honest: I 100% thought this was a golden parachute deal and TT would have ZERO role in the org after he was let go.

Over the next few months, Thompson is expected to play a significant role as the Packers evaluate prospects and finalize their board ahead of this year’s NFL draft. By shedding the burdens associated with managing the 53-man roster and overseeing the clerical side of an organization — the totality of which finally wore him out as he approached his 65th birthday — Thompson can immerse himself in the film room to concentrate on what he does best: identify talent.
    Have we ever have confirmation that it was Murphy's idea for Ted to resign?

Murphy claimed during his press conference that it was a mutual decision. But that could mean almost anything.

I was going to argue to hire McCloughan as scout at large to do much of this, but maybe Ted takes that torch and runs with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Murphy claimed during his press conference that it was a mutual decision. But that could mean almost anything.

I was going to argue to hire McCloughan as scout at large to do much of this, but maybe Ted takes that torch and runs with it.
    I think Murphy knew he couldn't hold back Wolf and Gutey forever. I think he was able to convince TT that by giving up the GM job he could spend his time on the part of the job he likes best - Scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think Murphy knew he couldn't hold back Wolf and Gutey forever. I think he was able to convince TT that by giving up the GM job he could spend his time on the part of the job he likes best - Scouting.
    I don't think there was any convincing going on. Ted was ready to step out of the limelight.

If anything, the move likely precipitated Wolf's exit from the front office.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I don't think there was any convincing going on. Ted was ready to step out of the limelight.

If anything, the move likely precipitated Wolf's exit from the front office.
    Oh I agree. But if he didn't make one of them GM this year, I think there was the risk of losing them both.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Oh I agree. But if he didn't make one of them GM this year, I think there was the risk of losing them both.
    Amazing with TT, Dorsey, McKenzie, Schneider, Wolfe, Gute. That’s almost 20% of the leagues GMs from TT regime. Boy, he really must of sucked to have everyone taking his people he was grooming to run franchises.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Amazing with TT, Dorsey, McKenzie, Schneider, Wolfe, Gute. That’s almost 20% of the leagues GMs from TT regime. Boy, he really must of sucked to have everyone taking his people he was grooming to run franchises.

Have you eliminated the Ron Wolf Tree ? Didn't most of those start under Wolf ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Have you eliminated the Ron Wolf Tree ? Didn't most of those start under Wolf ?
    Those flowed from TT. TT served under Wolf in the 90s. I haven’t eliminated the Wolf tree. Just making the comment that for as shitty as some people here thought TT was at GM the people working for him have been highly sought after.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Dorsey actually started the year before Wolf came here. Wolf was hired by Sherman. I think the others were hired by Wolf and promoted by Thompson. Current top player personnel guys like Jon-Eric Sullivan and John Wojciechowski were brought here by Thompson.

Blog Entries
    Dorsey actually started the year before Wolf came here. Wolf was hired by Sherman. I think the others were hired by Wolf and promoted by Thompson. Current top player personnel guys like Jon-Eric Sullivan and John Wojciechowski were brought here by Thompson.

kind of what I was hinting at. Ron brought in an outstanding staff for TT to surround himself with/promote. Maybe Sullivan and Wojo will b as well