Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Packers hire Brian Gutekunst as GM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Exactly. So the statement could have read: "Given Thompsons' league leading resistance to veteran free agency, its likely Gutekunst will be more open to it even if his actually player acquisition philosophy is unknown at this time."

The first sentence about training (the same people who trained Ted) is an effort to make a case that doesn't exist.
    journalism is dead
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    journalism is dead
    I think its just tired of producing free content and bad videos.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...be-the-next-GM

CaptainD, Carolina_Packer, esoxx, Fritz, Pugger, and swede got their man.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...be-the-next-GM

CaptainD, Carolina_Packer, esoxx, Fritz, Pugger, and swede got their man.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Hate the Rooney Rule, most racist rule in football...hey everyone we need a token interview!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Hate the Rooney Rule, most racist rule in football...hey everyone we need a token interview!
    As in much of life, the only way the Rooney Rule is racist is if you treat the candidates and search that way.

Any decent organization (and its in doubt if the Packers qualified this time) casts a much wider net than the rule. Its an opportunity to learn something new. Belichick and Parcels did it when interviewing assistant coaches. They did it to Dungy to figure out how they made the Pittsburgh defense work when it looked too small to them to function.

And that should be a story someone writes at length about. Steelers were the most 4-3 team in history (Steel Curtain) that regularly beat the tar out of 3-4 teams it faced (Browns, Oilers). Mid decade, after a series of near .500 finishes, they switched and the fan base did not revolt. Dungy was there for that.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Packer Report

Gutekunst interviewed for the position on Friday and was supposed to be in Houston to interview for the general manager opening with the Texans on Sunday.

Panic?

That no doubt appealed to McCarthy, who played a major role in the search.

I cannot express how dumb this is if its true. He has two years left and would have had only one if they had left things alone. This is Favre and Sherman all over again.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-07-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    Gutekunst, 44, was hired by Ron Wolf as a scouting intern in 1997. Left for one year and returned as a college scout. Has been with the #Packers ever since. He is steeped in the Wolf way of running football operations. Not unlike Schneider, Dorsey, McKenzie.

Why does everyone write as though 2000 was just yesterday? Gutekunst worked with Wolf for three years. With Ted for 13. Mike Sherman and Hatley for four.

Russ Ball worked with Schottenheimer and Loomis for 13 years but everyone treats him like he is Ted's son.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Gutekunst, 44, was hired by Ron Wolf as a scouting intern in 1997. Left for one year and returned as a college scout. Has been with the #Packers ever since. He is steeped in the Wolf way of running football operations. Not unlike Schneider, Dorsey, McKenzie.

Why does everyone write as though 2000 was just yesterday? Gutekunst worked with Wolf for three years. With Ted for 13. Mike Sherman and Hatley for four.

Russ Ball worked with Schottenheimer and Loomis for 13 years but everyone treats him like he is Ted's son.
    Brother...lol
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Demovsky:
    GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Here’s how one highly placed source at Lambeau Field handicapped the Green Bay Packers' general manager race: “John Schneider would be a grand slam, but Brian Gutekunst would be a home run.”

Who is this source? The people in the best position to judge this were interviewed. Do scouts actually know who will be the best? I think scout worship has gone a step too far.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...estions-linger

Same article:

The internal reluctance to hire Ball was rooted in the idea that he would be a continuation of the Ted Thompson way, i.e., largely ignoring free agency and relying heavily on the draft. In fact, Ball has had a large role in the Packers’ roster-building efforts the past two seasons as Thompson, 64, aged and cut back his schedule. It's believed that Ball actually made the call on whether to re-sign free agents Julius Peppers and Micah Hyde last offseason.
    The most Ted thing to do is to sign your own (that would have included Hyde and maybe Peppers) and ignore free agents.

So they did not sign their own and singed free agents.

But some boneheads in the org see Russ Ball's hands on the two least popular decisions last offseason and Demovsky doesn't mention 3 FA signings that happened while Ball supposedly had this larger role. But the fear of FA still makes it into the piece despite the logical inconsistency.

Does anyone else sense a concerted effort to undermine Ball here?

There has been a lot of public jockeying for this job going back a couple of years. We have had a few Eliot Wolf write ups and one about Gutekunst over a year ago. Ball got a profile at the beginning of this year and it contained no comments from the Packers or the Saints. Has all the media about this event been arranged by their agents?

It might have been that Ted's greatest achievement was to get them all to shut up and concentrate on football for 12/13 years. Favre's exit was the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Yeah that element of it is unfortunate but statistically it has made a large difference in the hirings of African Americans.

Packers are hiring Brian Gutekunst as GM, ESPN's Adam Schefter confirmed. Gutekunst is the most well-rounded scout in the personnel department and knocked it out of the park in his interview.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

I will be interested to see if Ball and the Wolf pup stick around. If they do, color me optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    I will be interested to see if Ball and the Wolf pup stick around. If they do, color me optimistic.

Is this the phone call from Murphy? Only Gute is smiling.

I think Ball will stay. Wolf might have more opportunities elsewhere.

Wasn't SF close to hiring Guts until he backed out?

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Wasn't SF close to hiring Guts until he backed out?
    Yes. Speculation is that he wasn't going to get to name the first coach, ironically enough.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    The hiring makes sense. It's the devil you know. I am with the camp that wishes they could have gotten more outside candidates lined up, and in at least one case was blocked. As for the quote from the article, that sounds like editorializing. The line between reporting and editorializing has long since been blurred. OK, we get it. You want a GM who is more active in veteran free agency.

As for Russ Ball, I don't think anyone is going to come calling for him as a GM candidate. He may be too specialized as a cap/finance guy, and he's only a few years behind TT, which is less of a factor than talent and experience, but his seems to be very specialized. For all those reasons, I see him riding it out in Green Bay, and that's good for the team.

I wish BG well, and count me among those who are hopeful he will use reasonable veteran free agency to fill talent gaps, when it makes more sense than waiting for the development of a younger, less experienced player.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

According to a source, Murphy and Gutekunst want Eliot Wolf to stay and will try to convince him not to leave for another job. They will have their hands full convincing him after that decision.

Just let the Son of Wolf go.

"In Brian We Trust" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

What should it be?

In Brian We Believe, Brian Bring It, The Life Of Brian, Fresh Start with Bart?

This isn't easy.