Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers hire Brian Gutekunst as GM

Packer Report

Gutekunst interviewed for the position on Friday and was supposed to be in Houston to interview for the general manager opening with the Texans on Sunday.

Panic?

That no doubt appealed to McCarthy, who played a major role in the search.

I cannot express how dumb this is if its true. He has two years left and would have had only one if they had left things alone. This is Favre and Sherman all over again.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-07-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I will be interested to see if Ball and the Wolf pup stick around. If they do, color me optimistic.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    Gutekunst, 44, was hired by Ron Wolf as a scouting intern in 1997. Left for one year and returned as a college scout. Has been with the #Packers ever since. He is steeped in the Wolf way of running football operations. Not unlike Schneider, Dorsey, McKenzie.

Why does everyone write as though 2000 was just yesterday? Gutekunst worked with Wolf for three years. With Ted for 13. Mike Sherman and Hatley for four.

Russ Ball worked with Schottenheimer and Loomis for 13 years but everyone treats him like he is Ted's son.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wasn't SF close to hiring Guts until he backed out?

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Gute is phonetically correct and also a nod to his Minnesota heritage. Like lukefisk, notice the "e" in there?
    Of course, we could also use the back end of his name and call him Kunst. "That Kunst is really on fire in the draft this year." Then, when he inevitably disappoints us in a major way, we can drop the "s" and really let him have it

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    I will be interested to see if Ball and the Wolf pup stick around. If they do, color me optimistic.

Is this the phone call from Murphy? Only Gute is smiling.

I think Ball will stay. Wolf might have more opportunities elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Wasn't SF close to hiring Guts until he backed out?
    Yes. Speculation is that he wasn't going to get to name the first coach, ironically enough.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    The hiring makes sense. It's the devil you know. I am with the camp that wishes they could have gotten more outside candidates lined up, and in at least one case was blocked. As for the quote from the article, that sounds like editorializing. The line between reporting and editorializing has long since been blurred. OK, we get it. You want a GM who is more active in veteran free agency.

As for Russ Ball, I don't think anyone is going to come calling for him as a GM candidate. He may be too specialized as a cap/finance guy, and he's only a few years behind TT, which is less of a factor than talent and experience, but his seems to be very specialized. For all those reasons, I see him riding it out in Green Bay, and that's good for the team.

I wish BG well, and count me among those who are hopeful he will use reasonable veteran free agency to fill talent gaps, when it makes more sense than waiting for the development of a younger, less experienced player.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I think this is a great hire. I wonder, did the Packers fulfill the Rooney Rule during their GM candidate search?
    Doug Whaley
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    According to a source, Murphy and Gutekunst want Eliot Wolf to stay and will try to convince him not to leave for another job. They will have their hands full convincing him after that decision.

Just let the Son of Wolf go.

"In Brian We Trust" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

What should it be?

In Brian We Believe, Brian Bring It, The Life Of Brian, Fresh Start with Bart?

This isn't easy.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

What should it be?

This isn't easy.
    instead of the BrainTrust it's the BrianTrust.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    http://packerrats.com/showthread.php...be-the-next-GM

CaptainD, Carolina_Packer, esoxx, Fritz, Pugger, and swede got their man.

What should it be?

This isn't easy.
    No Gutes, No Glory.

Guteus Maximus

Rastak !

You scooped all the Packer fans.

Impressive !

** I went to bed last night and thinking of what I've learned observing Accountants. (** see bottom of this Post)

Before retiring I was thinking if Mark Murphy went with Russ Ball we risked 'no real change' after TT. It has come out that Russ Ball actually held the Green Bay Packer Purse Strings. Russ Ball made the financial or CAP Management and Contract decisions.

Now hopefully with the Personnel Guy; we get our Roster upgraded not with advice to an Accountant; but with front line decision making.

Brian Gutekunst was likely going to be a more popular choice than Russ Ball overall and the Green Bay Packers Organization and in Packer Nation.

(YES !) Packerrats, the Packer fans do count. We might even hang onto Russ Ball; and most likely now lose Eliot Wolf. With the Russ Ball hire; we might have lost both Eliot Wolf and Gutekunst.

Rastak:

** Have you ever attended a Social Function with a bunch of Accountants present? It's difficult for an all round Guy as I am; to drink socially in the same room as them. There are some accountants that are regular fellas but put 4-6 of them together and Moses !

These Accounting Guy's actually drink with their bottled Beer and glass's, and Cocktails held against their Upper torsos their, so fricken Anal. Gert one or two with a regular bunch of Lad's and I suppose they can act like 'just one of 'the Boys'!?

As Aaron Rodgers would likely say: Just R. E. L. A. X.

Congratulations Packer GM Brian Guteckunst.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Rob Demovsky @RobDemovsky
    Before hiring Brian Gutekunst as GM, the Packers also interviewed Eliot Wolf, Russ Ball and Doug Whaley. There may have been others, but those are the known interviews for sure.

Perfunctory is the word that comes to mind. And Mike Sherman's promotion to GM is the closest parallel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Shall we call him Gut or Gute?

Gooter has a nice ring; we need a nickname !!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Like it.

I'm ok with it but I have to wonder. Is he the best personnel guy we had available ? Maybe the answer is yes; but did we even interview anybody form the outside and do our due diliegence ?

GOTTA SAY THOUGH

GOOTER IS WAY BETTER THAN CAPPIE GUY
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    We had a nickname for coach Gutekunst at MN, but it's totally inappropriate - even here.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck