Thread: Triangle of Authority is Here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Murphy said 7 or 8 of teams in playoffs have this arrangement.

I don't like it either.

Nor do I.

While I actually voted for Guteus Maximus in the Rat poll, I don't like at all the process by which he got the job - specifically, MM's sitting in on the interviews and seeming to have so much say.

Thus I like even less though am not surprised by this new power structure. It gives MM too much control, and I don't like that, in part because I was around for the Phil Bengston/Dan Devine/Bart Starr/Forrest Gregg/Lindsay Infante years. Not that they all had that power, but the whole Packer organization was listing.

So if Mikey-Mike fails next year, can he blame Gutes for a lack of talent and complain to Murphy? Does Gutes have to get permission from Mikey-Mike before he drafts someone? Why is the guy who threw everyone around him under the bus (offensive assistants, the DC, the GM, Russ Ball) have even more authority than he did before it became clear he couldn't get his two-years-in-training-he's-my-guy backup quarterback ready to keep the team at .500 until Rodgers could get back?

I don't like this one bit.

And I wonder why MM has gotten more say in matters and now doesn't even report to the GM. All I can really come up with is that this connects somehow to the most important person in the organization: Aaron Rodgers.

I wonder if Murphy polled Rodgers and Rodgers said he didn't want to start over with a new coach; this could imply that he'd bolt Green Bay if the team started over from the ground up. I can see not wanting to start over with a new HC - I think it's problematic when the QB is a future Hall of Famer and the coach is a newbie. See Favre, Brett, and Sherman, Mike. You're the new sheriff in town, you want to make sure everyone knows you're large and in charge, but you also don't want to ruffle your meal ticket's feathers, and your meal ticket knows that.

Nonetheless, this bodes ill for the future of this franchise. A handcuffed, impotent GM, a coach willing to throw others under the bus while accruing more power, a team president who puts a GM and coach on parallel lines of authority.

I hope I am wrong, and would be happy to eat crow after the Packers win next year's Super Bowl, or better yet, deny that I ever wrote any of this.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Nor do I.

Thus I like even less though am not surprised by this new power structure. It gives MM too much control, and I don't like that, in part because I was around for the Phil Bengston/Dan Devine/Bart Starr/Forrest Gregg/Lindsay Infante years. Not that they all had that power, but the whole Packer organization was listing.

And I wonder why MM has gotten more say in matters and now doesn't even report to the GM. All I can really come up with is that this connects somehow to the most important person in the organization: Aaron Rodgers.
    I think this is exactly that. Rodgers gives M3 leverage, especially with AR's contract coming up.

And his leverage will allow him to critique the performance of his former boss to the CEO. Its delusional and I am not sure if BG understands how much pressure having M3 in the room will generate. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, but he's going to have to deflate Stubby to make this work.

And Mike doesn't even need to fall in love with a specific FA to apply pressure. He just needs to note positions that could use help or a veteran. I would almost say this could work if M3 only got to comment on offense. At least there would be a plan and a scheme.

But what does M3 know about defensive drafting or FA signing?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.