Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Triangle of Authority is Here

Triangle of Authority is Here

Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty

One big piece of news in Packers' official announcement of Brian Gutekunst promotion to GM: He, Russ Ball & coach Mike McCarthy will all report directly to Mark Murphy. In previous setup going back to late 1991, only the GM reported to team president.

Its been a good run.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Brian Gutekunst is GM
    Russ Ball is now Director of Football Operations
    Mike McCarthy is now reporting directly to Mark Murphy

Eliot Wolf has had his title taken by Ball. No word in press release about him.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Michael Cohen @Michael_Cohen13

#Packers have officially named Brian Gutekunst their new GM. Russ Ball was promoted to vice president/director of football operations. No mention of Eliot Wolf one way or another in the press release. His future will have to be decided by Murphy/Gutekunst/Ball in the near future.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    In a departure from previous practice, #Packers will have Gutekunst, McCarthy and Ball all report to president Mark Murphy. It means Gutekunst has control over the roster but not head coach. There are 7 or 8 teams who do it that way.

“The process of identifying our next general manager gave us the opportunity to analyze our entire football operation,” said Murphy. “While we have enjoyed a lot of success, we need to improve.” Cont...

cont... “While I understand this is a departure from the Packers’ current structure, it will serve to increase the breadth and frequency of communication and collaboration. Ultimately, it will make the Packers better.”

This means Gutekunst can recommend a coaching change to Murphy but he can’t execute it without Murphy’s approval. Same thing with Ball, who has been promoted to Executive VP of football operations.

Hinted at in this move by Murphy is that “communication and collaboration” was waning under Thompson, who oversaw everything on the football side. Now Murphy oversees it all. He obviously didn’t like everything he saw in the football operation, especially sides working together.

HE NEEDED TO FIRE MORE PEOPLE. INSTEAD, HE PROMOTED THEM ALL.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Ugh. The beauty of the Packers lacking a traditional owner is the compartmentalization of football decisions with football people.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Does Gute need Murphy's approval to sign big ticket FA? Does he have key to executive washroom, or do they have to use both keys at the same time?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Ugh. The beauty of the Packers lacking a traditional owner is the compartmentalization of football decisions with football people.
    I think it's more an issue now of how power is distributed as well as accountability. Murphy must have gotten some heat from the executive committee, which can fire him. He's now placed himself more directly in the loop. The next guy to be fired if things don't go so well will be Murphy.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Oh bloody hell
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I think it's more an issue now of how power is distributed as well as accountability. Murphy must have gotten some heat from the executive committee, which can fire him. He's now placed himself more directly in the loop. The next guy to be fired if things don't go so well will be Murphy.
    Yeah, but in trying to solve whatever communication/coordination problem he had, he now has three separate lines of authority that do not terminate until the top.

Murphy is now, effectively, the GM when decisions cannot be agreed to. Probably affects the draft less than FAs and contracts.

Well, Murphy will be in the public firing line, that's for sure.

Packer fans have bought the GM must be in charge as the solution to 20 years in the wilderness. I kinda like it myself even if I wasn't here to suffer through it.

None of these guys is worth it from what we know.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-08-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Whattttt? Doesn't this go against exactly what Murphy was saying in his press conference? I do not understand this decision at all.

I think it's clear Russ Ball is the next Murphy, not GM. Just make him EVP of something-something Packers cap table.
    Why not give Gutekunst the autonomy he needs and have MM report to him as it always has been?

Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Whattttt? Doesn't this go against exactly what Murphy was saying in his press conference? I do not understand this decision at all.

I think it's clear Russ Ball is the next Murphy, not GM. Just make him EVP of something-something Packers cap table.
    Why not give Gutekunst the autonomy he needs and have MM report to him as it always has been?

Dumb.
    It certainly appears that the GM now needs the formal sign-off of the CEO to fire the coach. Which is not what he said last week.

Do any teams run their front office like the new Packers structure?

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Do any teams run their front office like the new Packers structure?
    Silverstein said 7 or 8 do. The only one I can think of is Cleveland. There may be others that are more successful.

Seattle comes to mind now. Schneider has control of the 90 man roster, Carrol the 53. And I bet John can't fire Pete without Paul Allen saying OK.

But it usually foments lines being drawn and blame being shifted as people concentrate on what others are or are not doing.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
    In new GB model. Mark Murphy - team pres - wields great control. He and Ball will control flow of $. He who controls $ rules the team ...

Well it seems like a coup of non football people at this point. Short of hiring Bob Sanders as HC, I could not be more disappointed.

Time to bring back the legendary Morgan Burnett ACL tear thread.

Yeesh.

Maybe it will work, but I am convinced Murphy got that decision wrong.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
    In new GB model. Mark Murphy - team pres - wields great control. He and Ball will control flow of $. He who controls $ rules the team ...

Well it seems like a coup of non football people at this point. Short of hiring Bob Sanders as HC, I could not be more disappointed.
    I read this as an indictment of TT's management style. They expected TT to properly manage the draft, MM's coaching, and FA acquisition. They probably wanted TT to operate differently, and he refused. Now, if you don't want to be a team player, you can be shown the door. No proof of this, just a theory.

yuck

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    All the things Murphy seems to want changed were my favorite things about TT's impregnable management style. Communication? Why? The media are a bunch of petulant children. Give them nothing and let them write their stories about that. Its cathartic for the JS comment fans and the rest of us get the JS comment fans to be entertained by. MM wants playmakers? Duh. A boss who shuffles around sipping a water bottle with beady little shark eyes is just what you need to get people selfstarting.

I hope his new job is head of PR. And I hope it took a concerted effort to keep TT as personable as he was before. I want him stopwatching every question he's asked in press conferences and stuff.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Time to start the Fire Murphy thread. You know, in case this backfires and we can all claim prescience.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    All the things Murphy seems to want changed were my favorite things about TT's impregnable management style. Communication? Why? The media are a bunch of petulant children. Give them nothing and let them write their stories about that. Its cathartic for the JS comment fans and the rest of us get the JS comment fans to be entertained by. MM wants playmakers? Duh. A boss who shuffles around sipping a water bottle with beady little shark eyes is just what you need to get people selfstarting.

I hope his new job is head of PR. And I hope it took a concerted effort to keep TT as personable as he was before. I want him stopwatching every question he's asked in press conferences and stuff.
    Yeah, it sorta seems that way. I much preferred competence and clear line of authority behind a wall of silence versus a bunch of blather and terrible results.

I think the Packers owe the public more on the PR front, but am not willing to sacrifice the organization's structure to get it.

This new unit will leak like a sieve.