Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Triangle of Authority is Here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Time to bring back the legendary Morgan Burnett ACL tear thread.

Yeesh.

Maybe it will work, but I am convinced Murphy got that decision wrong.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

yuck

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    All the things Murphy seems to want changed were my favorite things about TT's impregnable management style. Communication? Why? The media are a bunch of petulant children. Give them nothing and let them write their stories about that. Its cathartic for the JS comment fans and the rest of us get the JS comment fans to be entertained by. MM wants playmakers? Duh. A boss who shuffles around sipping a water bottle with beady little shark eyes is just what you need to get people selfstarting.

I hope his new job is head of PR. And I hope it took a concerted effort to keep TT as personable as he was before. I want him stopwatching every question he's asked in press conferences and stuff.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    All the things Murphy seems to want changed were my favorite things about TT's impregnable management style. Communication? Why? The media are a bunch of petulant children. Give them nothing and let them write their stories about that. Its cathartic for the JS comment fans and the rest of us get the JS comment fans to be entertained by. MM wants playmakers? Duh. A boss who shuffles around sipping a water bottle with beady little shark eyes is just what you need to get people selfstarting.

I hope his new job is head of PR. And I hope it took a concerted effort to keep TT as personable as he was before. I want him stopwatching every question he's asked in press conferences and stuff.
    Yeah, it sorta seems that way. I much preferred competence and clear line of authority behind a wall of silence versus a bunch of blather and terrible results.

I think the Packers owe the public more on the PR front, but am not willing to sacrifice the organization's structure to get it.

This new unit will leak like a sieve.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Time to start the Fire Murphy thread. You know, in case this backfires and we can all claim prescience.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

So, only Murphy can fire fat mike?

It seems like this just takes all the power away from gutie

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    I don't like this. GM should have authority to hire/fire his coach.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    I don't like this. GM should have authority to hire/fire his coach.
    Murphy said 7 or 8 of teams in playoffs have this arrangement.

I don't like it either.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

I don't like it either.
    It's an interesting point. It seems like it creates the possibility for more drama and in-fighting to me personally.

I don't like it either.

Nor do I.

While I actually voted for Guteus Maximus in the Rat poll, I don't like at all the process by which he got the job - specifically, MM's sitting in on the interviews and seeming to have so much say.

Thus I like even less though am not surprised by this new power structure. It gives MM too much control, and I don't like that, in part because I was around for the Phil Bengston/Dan Devine/Bart Starr/Forrest Gregg/Lindsay Infante years. Not that they all had that power, but the whole Packer organization was listing.

So if Mikey-Mike fails next year, can he blame Gutes for a lack of talent and complain to Murphy? Does Gutes have to get permission from Mikey-Mike before he drafts someone? Why is the guy who threw everyone around him under the bus (offensive assistants, the DC, the GM, Russ Ball) have even more authority than he did before it became clear he couldn't get his two-years-in-training-he's-my-guy backup quarterback ready to keep the team at .500 until Rodgers could get back?

I don't like this one bit.

And I wonder why MM has gotten more say in matters and now doesn't even report to the GM. All I can really come up with is that this connects somehow to the most important person in the organization: Aaron Rodgers.

I wonder if Murphy polled Rodgers and Rodgers said he didn't want to start over with a new coach; this could imply that he'd bolt Green Bay if the team started over from the ground up. I can see not wanting to start over with a new HC - I think it's problematic when the QB is a future Hall of Famer and the coach is a newbie. See Favre, Brett, and Sherman, Mike. You're the new sheriff in town, you want to make sure everyone knows you're large and in charge, but you also don't want to ruffle your meal ticket's feathers, and your meal ticket knows that.

Nonetheless, this bodes ill for the future of this franchise. A handcuffed, impotent GM, a coach willing to throw others under the bus while accruing more power, a team president who puts a GM and coach on parallel lines of authority.

I hope I am wrong, and would be happy to eat crow after the Packers win next year's Super Bowl, or better yet, deny that I ever wrote any of this.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Nor do I.

Thus I like even less though am not surprised by this new power structure. It gives MM too much control, and I don't like that, in part because I was around for the Phil Bengston/Dan Devine/Bart Starr/Forrest Gregg/Lindsay Infante years. Not that they all had that power, but the whole Packer organization was listing.

And I wonder why MM has gotten more say in matters and now doesn't even report to the GM. All I can really come up with is that this connects somehow to the most important person in the organization: Aaron Rodgers.
    I think this is exactly that. Rodgers gives M3 leverage, especially with AR's contract coming up.

And his leverage will allow him to critique the performance of his former boss to the CEO. Its delusional and I am not sure if BG understands how much pressure having M3 in the room will generate. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, but he's going to have to deflate Stubby to make this work.

And Mike doesn't even need to fall in love with a specific FA to apply pressure. He just needs to note positions that could use help or a veteran. I would almost say this could work if M3 only got to comment on offense. At least there would be a plan and a scheme.

But what does M3 know about defensive drafting or FA signing?

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    Eliot Wolf has an offer for a prominent job on Gutekunst’s staff, source said. But he has to decide if he wants to come back before details are hammered out.

Eliot Wolf has an offer for a prominent job on Gutekunst’s staff, source said. But he has to decide if he wants to come back before details are hammered out.
    Is Eliot Wolf prepared to report to Mike McCarthy?

Eliot Wolf isn't dumb.

He's outta 'the Circus' that's 1265 Lombardi Avenue ASAP and his real future.

It starts today and right here:

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/br...ding-to-report
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I agree (with Ishmael). Silverstein points out the problem right here:

Murphy said he would allow his people to manage and not stick his nose in their business. But what if Gutekunst says no to a free agent that McCarthy wants? Does McCarthy go behind his back to Murphy? Does Murphy overrule his GM? Buck stopped with Ted previously. No get arounds.

During the introductory PC, Murphy seemed a little unprepared for the question, if RB handles contacts and BG handles roster and players, what is McCarthy reporting to you about?

Hi first answer was game plans, which I guarantee you is not #1 on Mike's list. Its an avenue for McCarthy to bitch about players on the roster and needs that are unfulfilled.

Its reverse Sherman-ism. McCarthy doesn't have the responsibility of the GM, but he gets to complain to the CEO about him.

In Seattle, Carrol got there first with authority on the final 53. Schneider was second, was chosen by Pete and gets the crack at the 90 man roster.

Its clear cut and there is some logic to it. Pete needs to live with his own choices during the year.

In Green Bay, the HC interviewed the GM but the GM controls the roster at both ends plus FA. McCarthy has no outlet except to complain at the weekly luncheon.

Welp. Murphy done fucked it up. It’s been a good, long ride boys.

Doesn't Andy Reid report to the owner too? Was he hired before or after Dorsey? I guess that's irrelevant now because in its current iteration, KC operates like Seattle. Not sure if Reid has roster say so or if he's just a voice in the room to add to the decision maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Doesn't Andy Reid report to the owner too? Was he hired before or after Dorsey? I guess that's irrelevant now because in its current iteration, KC operates like Seattle. Not sure if Reid has roster say so or if he's just a voice in the room to add to the decision maker.
    Reid was hired before Dorsey. But when he left, the new GM was supposed to have been given final roster authority.

I don't know if Reid still reports to the owner though. it might mirror the Packers now.

Well, at least I'm prepared if it all goes into the shitter. I lived through the Forrest Gregg years.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Well, at least I'm prepared if it all goes into the shitter. I lived through the Forrest Gregg years.
    Those years shaped and scarred many of us.