Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Triangle of Authority is Here

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    We are on day one of the new hire and management structure and this entire board is turning into a bunch of hand-wringing old ladies.
    I liked Gutekunst at the press conference. I can get on board with him. He was nervous but stepped in fewer holes than Murphy. I like him especially if he is able to land Wolf the younger for another year or two or gets McCloughan to be super utility scout.

And everyone will get a honeymoon period in the first FA go through.

So they have a year to get it turned around. The next question comes quickly though: there is no Teryl Austin at DC and I think the prospects for Fangio are low. I have heard of no other candidates. if Mike hires Whitt or Perry, how good does his next year need to be to sign him up again?

If you are the new GM, how much rope do you give McCarthy? Young guy might want to select his own coach if Murphy will let him.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Doesn't Andy Reid report to the owner too? Was he hired before or after Dorsey? I guess that's irrelevant now because in its current iteration, KC operates like Seattle. Not sure if Reid has roster say so or if he's just a voice in the room to add to the decision maker.
    Reid was hired before Dorsey. But when he left, the new GM was supposed to have been given final roster authority.

I don't know if Reid still reports to the owner though. it might mirror the Packers now.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Seems like Ted was the Otto Von Bismarck of this org in that he was the centerpiece of a diplomatic sausage machine that only he could run. He served the function that alcohol plays at family gatherings. Got a complaint? Take it into Ted's lair. Which is pitch black except for the 4" TV ted watches film on that illuminates his head like a disembodied ghost. The floor covered in empty water bottles and discarded college basketball film. You go in there and tell him what you need but find it hard to do so with the passion you felt before you crossed the threshold. Ted nods and tells you "we'll get it cleaned up" and stares at something else.

Its too bad he had a stroke and came to work with a lunchbox full of paint chips or whatever. That was the perfect system.
    I am OK with this as long as he isn't storing his urine indoors as well.

#Hughes

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    if Mike hires Whitt or Perry, how good does his next year need to be to sign him up again?
    The defense needs to be significantly improved. APRH (meaning 3-4 starters aren't lost for most of the season), they better be in the top 10 defenses, especially if BG brings in say a top FA pass rusher.

Packers need to be competitive in the NFC Championship game to protect Stubby - that's what I'd tell Murphy if I were BG. I will get him the players, but he'd better produce.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I hope once MM moves on, the triangle can be disbanded and Gutekunst can run the team. But moving Ball's job parallel with the GM seems to make that unlikely too. I just can't fathom why its good to have a money guy that can tell the other members of the triangle of authority no.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

the triumvirate.

Silverstein said 7 or 8 do. The only one I can think of is Cleveland. There may be others that are more successful.

Seattle comes to mind now. Schneider has control of the 90 man roster, Carrol the 53. And I bet John can't fire Pete without Paul Allen saying OK.

But it usually foments lines being drawn and blame being shifted as people concentrate on what others are or are not doing.
    Murphy said in the PC that 13 teams have the coach reporting directly to the owner. Including, he said, 7 of the playoff teams. He was quick to point out that he is not an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Those years shaped and scarred many of us.
    It's time for this new generation of Packer fans to learn a thing or two about pain.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

I read the updates from Murphy's presser while on my afternoon walk today. My first thought was that PB would be extremely pleased with their new organizational structure .

I'll say this about Murphy. He inherited an organizational structure that he felt was no longer working as well as it used to. Rather than continue with the status quo, he made changes, knowing he will be blamed if it doesn't work. Aren't most people around here unsatisfied with the status quo?

Gosh, what a bunch of nervous nellies on steroids.

The Good that outweighs any bad here is getting rid of Ted Thompson. The worst case would be a conspiracy - triumverate of Ted followers if you want to call it that - seeking to continue his rotten way of doing things. I don't think that is the case, though. Clearly, all this title shifting was for the purpose of getting people they wanted to stay. Undoubtedly, neither Gutekunst or anybody else would have taken the GM job without a clear definition of the limits of everybody's authority. And McCarthy - who Murphy and/or the Board clearly want to keep happy - would not have been happy with the power to fire him handed to someone new guy or some younger with relatively less clout.

I say again, what matters most is POLICY. We will have to see over time just what the new policy will be, but the fact that Ted was eased out seems to say that the powers that be want something different.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Seems like Ted was the Otto Von Bismarck of this org in that he was the centerpiece of a diplomatic sausage machine that only he could run. He served the function that alcohol plays at family gatherings. Got a complaint? Take it into Ted's lair. Which is pitch black except for the 4" TV ted watches film on that illuminates his head like a disembodied ghost. The floor covered in empty water bottles and discarded college basketball film. You go in there and tell him what you need but find it hard to do so with the passion you felt before you crossed the threshold. Ted nods and tells you "we'll get it cleaned up" and stares at something else.

Its too bad he had a stroke and came to work with a lunchbox full of paint chips or whatever. That was the perfect system.
    You've watched one too many iterations of Apocalypse Now. Staring to sound like Martin Sheen vocalyzing Michael Herr. I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. Thats my dream, thats my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor. And surviving.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I'll say this about Murphy. He inherited an organizational structure that he felt was no longer working as well as it used to. Rather than continue with the status quo, he made changes, knowing he will be blamed if it doesn't work. Aren't most people around here unsatisfied with the status quo?
    When a root cause of failure is determined to be "communication", the solution is often to reorganize. Get the right people in the right places, break down silos, move to the cloud.

The next question comes quickly though: there is no Teryl Austin at DC and I think the prospects for Fangio are low. I have heard of no other candidates.

Rotoworld: ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Packers will interview ex-Browns coach Mike Pettine for their defensive-coordinator vacancy.

Mike Pettine is known as a pretty good defensive coach, right?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    During his four years as defensive coordinator in New York, the Jets finished in the top 10 for yards allowed four times. New York was first in yards and points in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Rotoworld: Pettine and Packers coach Mike McCarthy have never worked together, but both are Pennsylvania-raised and spent time at Pittsburgh in the early-'90s. Pettine has been out of the league since being fired as the Browns' head coach following the 2015 season. He ran solid defenses in Buffalo and New York as one of coach Rex Ryan's righthand men. Pettine has run 3-4 fronts in the past.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I will gladly welcome Pettine. Forgot about him.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Perhaps most impressively, Pettine won 10 games in 2 seasons as Browns head coach. Or 9 more than Hue Jackson.

Blog Entries
    Brian Gutekunst is GM
    Russ Ball is now Director of Football Operations
    Mike McCarthy is now reporting directly to Mark Murphy

Eliot Wolf has had his title taken by Ball. No word in press release about him.

Wolf was probably on a plane to Cleveland within a few hours of finding out about Gooter
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?