Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Triangle of Authority is Here

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Wolf was probably on a plane to Cleveland within a few hours of finding out about Gooter
    Wolf has an interview with Cleveland tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Wolf was probably on a plane to Cleveland within a few hours of finding out about Gooter
    TTs old role was listed thusly on Packers.com:

Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager & Director of Football Operations

Ball got the EVP piece, Gute got the GM piece, and Wolf was already also listed as Director of FO so I'm confused why he and TT both had that piece previously (??). Either way yeah, Wolf is likely gone. Too bad as he is the stronger Pro Personnel guy, would have made a nice Asst. GM to Gute's college experience. If he leaves do we bring in Scot McCloughan? Gute mentioned him specifically in his presser as his biggest mentor early in his scouting career. He brings baggage with the booze so may not pass the Packer People litmus test (eye roll) but I'd be all for it personally.

Plus Wolf's role in Pro Personnel will only become more important under a new regime that plans to more actively leverage this thing called. I think, free agency.

Eliot Wolf was the Director of Football Operations.

Russ Ball is now both an EVP and Director of Football Operations. For a while, people took that second title as proof that Wolf was the heir apparent.

Why that title was switched and what new one EW would get is unclear. He has already been the Director of Player Personnel.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I'll say this about Murphy. He inherited an organizational structure that he felt was no longer working as well as it used to. Rather than continue with the status quo, he made changes, knowing he will be blamed if it doesn't work. Aren't most people around here unsatisfied with the status quo?
    I mentioned in another thread that the move puts Murphy's head on the chopping block if things go south. If nothing else, I admire his willingness to put the target on his back. I have no idea if the structure will work; I suspect it's highly dependent on the quality of the people in the several leadership positions. Stubby seems like a decent person but I don't know anything about the other three.

I still say they need to bring in some assistants from other successful front offices. Let Wolf go cut his teeth elsewhere - he can come back in 10 years or so to take over after Gute steps away following his third Superbowl.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Here is an idea: Eliot Wolf was the problem inside?

They quite literally gave Ball the job title Wolf had the day before. That's a sharp stick in the eye. You can make up any title you want and increase pay.

Murphy (and Ted) obviously love Ball. BG got the GM job probably on the strength of his personnel background and a helpful push from McCarthy. No one was left backing Wolf.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    When a root cause of failure is determined to be "communication", the solution is often to reorganize. Get the right people in the right places, break down silos, move to the cloud.
    Exactly. Ted may not have caused the hard feelings, but he didn't solve them either.

BG has been told its not just his job to do it, Murphy will mediate.

And Wolf has been left out to dangle a bit. Taking his title and giving it to Ball is hard to read as just a promotion for Ball. Seems like a message.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...rt_river_index

Read the details of what Dorsey is trying to do in Cleveland. They haven't finalized (or at least made it public) that they have a deal and job with Highsmith.

He is courting Eliot Wolf but might unseat two of the current guys to do it (one of them is linked to the analytics side, the other is a well regarded traditional scout). Sounds like Dorsey is still stocking the cabinet with folks more tied to him than to past regime.

So some of of our staff (and ex-staff) members are looking for employment in Cleveland? That tells me all I need to know about their value.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    So some of of our staff (and ex-staff) members are looking for employment in Cleveland? That tells me all I need to know about their value.
    Maybe not. Ownership aside, with Dorsey there now, there's a lot of potential for growth. If you were part of the team that resurrected the Browns, that'd be a feather in your cap.

It shouldn't. Dorsey is running the show in Cleveland and word is that he let Haslem know that he runs it or he's gone. So either Dorsey is competent or not. What do you think?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The "communication" in this instance reads like an excuse more than an actual problem.

Ted was successful football czar for a long time and was pretty hands off with his guys. When the throne went up for grabs Ted's subordinates all scramble for a piece of the empire. Had MM canned Capers years ago, he'd probably be the new czar. The GM might be working for him as in New England. But as it is he's on thin ice himself and there is whatever is true about his relationship with Russ Ball to consider as well. The triangle is the solution that keeps a scout in Ted's chair and keeps all these divas who were subordinate to Ted in the building without Ted. The real tradeoff is a single source of leadership for interchangeable parts. You can now cleanly fire the GM or coach without having to fire both.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It shouldn't. Dorsey is running the show in Cleveland and word is that he let Haslem know that he runs it or he's gone. So either Dorsey is competent or not. What do you think?
    I doubt Dorsey told Haslem anything. I would take my chances with about 31 other franchises before I hung my hat in Cleveland.

I doubt Dorsey told Haslem anything. I would take my chances with about 31 other franchises before I hung my hat in Cleveland.
    I have my doubts too, but that's the considered opinion of the geniuses on local radio with 'inside connections'

The most disappointing thing with Murphy's change is that when asked point blank about what he would be managing with the head coach, he drew a blank.

Then said game plans.

It seems ill-considered, to say the least. Harlan said he wanted the Executive Committee out of the GM's ear and allow him to make decisions based on his expertise, not the business community's. Since Murphy is not an owner (which is bad enough) but an employee, this seems to be going back to a bad model.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Exactly. Ted may not have caused the hard feelings, but he didn't solve them either.

BG has been told its not just his job to do it, Murphy will mediate.

And Wolf has been left out to dangle a bit. Taking his title and giving it to Ball is hard to read as just a promotion for Ball. Seems like a message.
    I thought I read somewhere that last year both TT and wunderkind had the same title "Director of Football Operations". Perhaps I misread.

To the comment about maybe wunderkind being the source of the leaking: maybe. He's still young, could be very hotblooded in an industry that demands confidence and assertiveness. And the patient, steady leadership needed to run a franchise may not be there yet. Of course, I'm pulling this all from the Dark Dimension...
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I see Murphy’s non-answer more as evidence that he won’t be that involved. More like a boss who will poke his head in the door a little more often to check that things are going OK. Maybe he’ll schedule a leadership retreat and have some trust falls, but mostly he’ll be hands off except ‘facilitating communication’ I think.

If performance and record improve I suspect little or no involvement. Might be more mediation right up front setting priorities in FA and the draft.

Pete Dougherty @PeteDougherty

One big piece of news in Packers' official announcement of Brian Gutekunst promotion to GM: He, Russ Ball & coach Mike McCarthy will all report directly to Mark Murphy. In previous setup going back to late 1991, only the GM reported to team president.

Its been a good run.
    Doesn't that structure make President and CEO Mark Murphy now also the REAL GENERAL MANAGER of the Green Bay Packers Football Operations?

What REAL POWER does gm Brian Gutekunst or Bee Gee really have now when he's positioned laterally with the Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers or Mike MCcarthy.

If MM wants to whine for whatever ! Flat out 'complain he's failing', because of whatever ! He can do so bypassing Bee Gee by going directly to Mark Murphy.

That's a recipe for a clear and utter disaster.

That's in all likelihood going to create an obvious Power Struggle between MIke McCarthy and Brian Gutekunst. That will mean if that 'in fact comes to fruition', someone or both have to go !

What's Mark Murphy thinking! This organizational move is a lot more than using Mike McCarthy, as a mere consult, in a Process and choosing a Franchise GM. This move cannot Please Bee Gee if he's a strong Leader. A strong Leader isn't going to appreciate any underling going around and over top of him with anything.

The Packer GM used to be the Packer HC's BOSS.

Going around (gm) Brian Gutekunst to the TOP (Mark Murphy), with issues MM might have, is a real possibility.

Is Mark Murphy prepared for the Fall Out and this?

Mark Murphy had to make a correction for Ted Thompson and clear evidence he hasn't been fit to be the Packer GM for some 2-3 Seasons (at least). Was TT ever fit in terms of being a GM and all in winning Super Bowls?!

Today that's 'a Moot Question', as what was and wasn't done is in Packer Nations past.

What is an issue now:

Mark Murphy taking a mess and turning it into 'a GREATER MESS'?

Now I'll (with great interest), read the remainder of this thread to see what other Packerrats read into this alarming news.

This Thread: It's suddenly HOT on Packerrats.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-09-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    Eliot Wolf has an offer for a prominent job on Gutekunst’s staff, source said. But he has to decide if he wants to come back before details are hammered out.
    Is Eliot Wolf prepared to report to Mike McCarthy?

Eliot Wolf isn't dumb.

He's outta 'the Circus' that's 1265 Lombardi Avenue ASAP and his real future.

It starts today and right here:

https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/br...ding-to-report
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau