Thread: Packers To Hire Pettine As DC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I get the passed over and I get the guy with the lesser title got the job and the hurt feelings.

But leaving doesn't provide him with more of an opportunity to prove himself. He would get to be uber personnel guy under Guteus Maximus including college scouting which is not his specialty. Oakland has McKenzie and his existing VPs plus the guys Gruden if bringing in. The Browns would be at best a lateral move and maybe if you turn it around you look like a genius.

I buy that Wolf set the pro personnel board up and Ted rarely looked at it more than once. He didn't trade much and his FA forays were when he had a lot of openings (or a gigantic hole) which mostly did not happen.
    I thought about the point you were making in your second paragraph. The only thing I could think is that is where ego and feelings come in. If he were to stay, there would be the constant reminder that BG was chosen over him, or he might disagree on decisions, but not want to cause problems. So, the change of scenery gets you away from that, even if the job you are moving on to isn't any more highly regarded.

The other reason to leave is to be a part of building something. Oakland is further along than Cleveland (duh) in their development as a franchise, but nobody has seen Oakland be a consistent power. If Wolf goes to one of those places and they become consistently good, then he is even more of a hot commodity as a GM candidate.

Also, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie are much older than BG, and closer to retirement, so Wolf's wait in those two places wouldn't be as long, provided neither or both teams remain/become a dumpster fire and everyone gets fired. That's the risk if you are Wolf. Stay with the established Packers, who are having a momentary changing of the guard, or go to two places that are trying to establish a winning culture.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I thought about the point you were making in your second paragraph. The only thing I could think is that is where ego and feelings come in. If he were to stay, there would be the constant reminder that BG was chosen over him, or he might disagree on decisions, but not want to cause problems. So, the change of scenery gets you away from that, even if the job you are moving on to isn't any more highly regarded.

The other reason to leave is to be a part of building something. Oakland is further along than Cleveland (duh) in their development as a franchise, but nobody has seen Oakland be a consistent power. If Wolf goes to one of those places and they become consistently good, then he is even more of a hot commodity as a GM candidate.

Also, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie are much older than BG, and closer to retirement, so Wolf's wait in those two places wouldn't be as long, provided neither or both teams remain/become a dumpster fire and everyone gets fired. That's the risk if you are Wolf. Stay with the established Packers, who are having a momentary changing of the guard, or go to two places that are trying to establish a winning culture.
    The real equalizer in all of this is that there are only 32 NFL teams. So there are only 32 GM spots and maybe 100 top other executive GM positions.

You can't be real picky when are opportunity to advance comes along. You either take it or you might have to wait another 3-4 years before you are looked at for a similar position.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I like this hire. Pettine has run good defenses everywhere he has gone. Hopefully he can take the pieces in place add the additional players we pick up and create a functioning defense.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I like this hire. Pettine has run good defenses everywhere he has gone. Hopefully he can take the pieces in place add the additional players we pick up and create a functioning defense.
    One of they key pieces of information in one of the articles (I think it was Bedard's) was that Pettine has been good at tailoring his scheme to the players he has. That was part of the general player acquisition/scheme mismatch we've mulled over many times here on the defense. Now they've updated both!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.