Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers To Hire Pettine As DC

Packers To Hire Pettine As DC

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ve-coordinator

The Green Bay Packers are expected to hire former Cleveland Browns head coach Mike Pettine as their defensive coordinator, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Baltimore Ravens[edit]
    Pettine joined the Ravens in 2001 and was promoted to OLB's coach in 2005 when Rex Ryan became defensive coordinator.

New York Jets[edit]
    Pettine, as Rex Ryan's "right-hand man", reportedly received a three-year deal to lead the Jets defense. Pettine has been credited with contributing strongly to the Jets number one defense in the NFL in 2009. His tenure with the Jets ended after the 2012 season, with the expiration of his contract.[3]

Buffalo Bills[edit]
    Pettine was hired to be the defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills on January 9, 2013.[4]

Cleveland Browns[edit]
    Pettine was hired to be the head coach of the Cleveland Browns on January 23, 2014.[5] On January 3, 2016, the same day the Browns lost their last game of the season to finish 3–13, Pettine was fired, along with GM Ray Farmer. Pettine started 7-4 in the 2014 season, but the Browns lost their final 5 games to finish at 7-9. The Browns were 3-13 the following season. Pettine went 10–22 in his two seasons as Cleveland's head coach, losing 18 of his final 21 games.

Green Bay Packers

Pettine was hired to be the Defensive Coordinator for the Green Bay Packers on January 9th, 2018

Great hire. He has had some really good defenses and he's a 3-4 guy.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...e-coordinator/

McCarthy can count on Pettine to coordinate an aggressive defense capable of creating disruption. His defenses finished in the top 10 for takeaways during five of his seven years as a defensive coordinator or head coach. Twice, he led defenses finishing second in the NFL in interceptions.

He had Ed Reed, Murderin Ray Lewis, Suggs. Then he had Revis in NYJ. I sure hope he’s not the Norv Turner of defenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    He had Ed Reed, Murderin Ray Lewis, Suggs. Then he had Revis in NYJ. I sure hope he’s not the Norv Turner of defenses.
    His 5 years as DC, his defenses finished in he top ten every year. That doesn't happen because you have 1 shutdown corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    His 5 years as DC, his defenses finished in he top ten every year. That doesn't happen because you have 1 shutdown corner.
    Calling Revis just a shut down corner is selling him short. He is arguably the best corner to play the game. You could easily get the top 10 every year by virtue of having a single player like Revis. That's like having a top 10 offense annually with Rodgers. It's almost a sure thing.

Gotta say, I don't love this hire. I would have preferred to go with somebody from the Gus Bradley cover 3 school of thought. I want a simple defense than enables players to play fast and not think so much. If this dude's defense requires veterans, good luck stuck the roster with fast and explosive vets. That would get expensive in a hurry and the offense would suffer.

In general, simplify and do less. I want people just reacting instead of thinking and flying around. No need to get cute and try to out fox the opponent. If you don't have the horses and can't beat a team straight up, then you need to get better talent.

so how does his 3-4 differ from capers 3-4?

him going 7-9 as the browns head coach is like taking a normal team to a 16-0 mark in back to back seasons

Fuck, yeah!!! I'm calling the guy poutine from this point forwards.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Calling Revis just a shut down corner is selling him short. He is arguably the best corner to play the game. You could easily get the top 10 every year by virtue of having a single player like Revis. That's like having a top 10 offense annually with Rodgers. It's almost a sure thing.

Gotta say, I don't love this hire. I would have preferred to go with somebody from the Gus Bradley cover 3 school of thought. I want a simple defense than enables players to play fast and not think so much. If this dude's defense requires veterans, good luck stuck the roster with fast and explosive vets. That would get expensive in a hurry and the offense would suffer.

In general, simplify and do less. I want people just reacting instead of thinking and flying around. No need to get cute and try to out fox the opponent. If you don't have the horses and can't beat a team straight up, then you need to get better talent.
    In 2013 he becme the Buffalo DC and didn't have Revis. They had the NFL's #10 defense after being #26 the year before.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

him going 7-9 as the browns head coach is like taking a normal team to a 16-0 mark in back to back seasons
    Capers didn't run a 3-4, he ran a 2-4
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    No spray-painted hair.

Pettine is known for mixing alignments and blending one- and two-gap techniques on any given play, with an end goal of disguise.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quite happy.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

But will he report to Murphy?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    But will he report to Murphy?
    Asking the real questions.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Asking the real questions.
    I might have a hard time letting this go. Be prepared for Murphy consultation jokes next year in Game Day threads the first time they are behind.

"I'm telling Mark on you ..."
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Bradley re-signed with the Chargers tonight too.

Pettine spent last year in Seattle. Good.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-09-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Bradley re-signed with the Chargers tonight too.

Petting spent last year in Seattle. Good.
    Gotta like the hire; I feel better knowing Bradley prolly wanted to stay in SD

So it was Petting or Fangio (who might not have come anyways)

HIRING A SUCCESSFUL DC asopposed to one of the Internal inexperienced guys.

HIRING A PERSONNELL GUY over the Cappie Guy

Gotta like it.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?