Rex Ryan on Pettine hire:
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...ator-in-league

“He’s the smartest guy in the room,” Ryan said.

“That record he has in Cleveland looks pretty good now,” Ryan said. “The guy there is going to have to coach 10 years to get that many wins.”

“He’ll be the best coordinator in the league; that’s how good he is,” Ryan said. “I think the big thing is, the fan base ought to be super excited about him because this is a good get. There’s other names out there or whatever, but this is the best coach out there that they could’ve got."

“This guy is going to give you the gamut. We have a philosophy, and Mike has it, it’s a 'KILL' philosophy -- keep it likable and learnable -- and that’s what we do, and that team is going to play fast and play physical, and I can’t wait to watch them.”

Ryan rejected the idea that it’s too complicated for a young defense, which the Packers often field.

“That’s not true, not at all,” he said. “You’ve just got to be smart in a way that if you love football, then you’ll love playing in this defense. If not, you really shouldn’t be in the league. If you don’t want to play in this system, you don’t want to play in any system.

“It will make good players great. If you’re an average player, you’ll be good. There’s times when Mike and I were together, we literally had no NFL corners, and yet we found a way to make it work. And I think there’s times when we’ve had great players and we’ve had historic success. If you love the game, then these guys died and went to heaven in this system.”