Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers To Hire Pettine As DC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I might have a hard time letting this go. Be prepared for Murphy consultation jokes next year in Game Day threads the first time they are behind.

"I'm telling Mark on you ..."

I don't like the setup either

I kinda wonder if MM really wanted Ball but felt a lot of pushback...fans....MM...AROD....plenty of others.....so he went with the Personnell Guy and made him less powerful ??
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I don't like the setup either

I kinda wonder if MM really wanted Ball but felt a lot of pushback...fans....MM...AROD....plenty of others.....so he went with the Personnell Guy and made him less powerful ??
    I think Mike and the Pro Personnel guys were like Packer fans. Can we please sign a veteran corner even if they are terrible?

And how about one pricey free agent a year Ted?

Its hard to read the formerly current situation. They did that last year (it backfired of course) but I cannot read who talked Ted into it. It might just have been that he had an unusual number of holes on his roster compared to most years. He lost a Guard and TE he didn't think he would lose.

I don't mind Mike giving Guteus Maximus a shopping list, but take what you get and make it work.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

HIRING A SUCCESSFUL DC asopposed to one of the Internal inexperienced guys.

HIRING A PERSONNELL GUY over the Cappie Guy
    I agree.
    wist

According to Twitter timeline on Pettine and Bradley, Packers acted first.

But Packer Report said both Bradley and Fangio are staying put, leaving Packers with MP. No source from Packer Report on where he got that timeframe.

Its hard to say, I bet the report from today that the Packers asked permission to talk to Bradley was just delayed. However, either Fangio or Bradley could have let the Packers know they were staying long before the public got word.

https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Articl...ense-113492012
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Greg Bedard, whose reporting was far superior to his punditry or offensive line coach predictions, has a great piece about how Pettine installs his defense in Cleveland, down to the thin playbook so that when the Patriots steal it, there won't be much revealed.

https://www.si.com/2014/06/19/mike-p...d-browns-coach

There are double quotes which are apparently an artifact of the article formerly being on MMQB and not being on SI's new platform.

Blog Entries
    I think Mike and the Pro Personnel guys were like Packer fans. Can we please sign a veteran corner even if they are terrible?

And how about one pricey free agent a year Ted?

Its hard to read the formerly current situation. They did that last year (it backfired of course) but I cannot read who talked Ted into it. It might just have been that he had an unusual number of holes on his roster compared to most years. He lost a Guard and TE he didn't think he would lose.

I don't mind Mike giving Guteus Maximus a shopping list, but take what you get and make it work.

I was listeing the Packer best guy again today, who really was convinced MM and TT were at odds in terms of free agency and vet players to occasionally bring in

He also noted how Eliott Wolf was in charge the NFL Draft Board, so to speak of available free agenty....and the best guys who weren't on teams after the season....etc....but his lists rarely got used

They feel its near set in stone Wolf is not coming back.

Noted how a couple years ago Detroit was very interested in Wolf as a GM but GB denied the interview

Then two years later they pass him over for a guy who, title wise is below him

It's time for Eliott Wolf to go elsewhere
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I get the passed over and I get the guy with the lesser title got the job and the hurt feelings.

But leaving doesn't provide him with more of an opportunity to prove himself. He would get to be uber personnel guy under Guteus Maximus including college scouting which is not his specialty. Oakland has McKenzie and his existing VPs plus the guys Gruden if bringing in. The Browns would be at best a lateral move and maybe if you turn it around you look like a genius.

I buy that Wolf set the pro personnel board up and Ted rarely looked at it more than once. He didn't trade much and his FA forays were when he had a lot of openings (or a gigantic hole) which mostly did not happen.

I was listeing the Packer best guy again today, who really was convinced MM and TT were at odds in terms of free agency and vet players to occasionally bring in

He also noted how Eliott Wolf was in charge the NFL Draft Board, so to speak of available free agenty....and the best guys who weren't on teams after the season....etc....but his lists rarely got used

They feel its near set in stone Wolf is not coming back.

Noted how a couple years ago Detroit was very interested in Wolf as a GM but GB denied the interview

Then two years later they pass him over for a guy who, title wise is below him

It's time for Eliott Wolf to go elsewhere

Blog Entries
    I think the Browns are It for Wolfie

I too don't see Oakland as having much upside to advance his career

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I might have a hard time letting this go. Be prepared for Murphy consultation jokes next year in Game Day threads the first time they are behind.

"I'm telling Mark on you ..."
    But does Murphy report to AR?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

I'm ok with Pettine. But why was he without a coaching job for 2 years? A year away is normal but does anyone have a story about this?
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I get the passed over and I get the guy with the lesser title got the job and the hurt feelings.

But leaving doesn't provide him with more of an opportunity to prove himself. He would get to be uber personnel guy under Guteus Maximus including college scouting which is not his specialty. Oakland has McKenzie and his existing VPs plus the guys Gruden if bringing in. The Browns would be at best a lateral move and maybe if you turn it around you look like a genius.

I buy that Wolf set the pro personnel board up and Ted rarely looked at it more than once. He didn't trade much and his FA forays were when he had a lot of openings (or a gigantic hole) which mostly did not happen.
    I thought about the point you were making in your second paragraph. The only thing I could think is that is where ego and feelings come in. If he were to stay, there would be the constant reminder that BG was chosen over him, or he might disagree on decisions, but not want to cause problems. So, the change of scenery gets you away from that, even if the job you are moving on to isn't any more highly regarded.

The other reason to leave is to be a part of building something. Oakland is further along than Cleveland (duh) in their development as a franchise, but nobody has seen Oakland be a consistent power. If Wolf goes to one of those places and they become consistently good, then he is even more of a hot commodity as a GM candidate.

Also, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie are much older than BG, and closer to retirement, so Wolf's wait in those two places wouldn't be as long, provided neither or both teams remain/become a dumpster fire and everyone gets fired. That's the risk if you are Wolf. Stay with the established Packers, who are having a momentary changing of the guard, or go to two places that are trying to establish a winning culture.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I thought about the point you were making in your second paragraph. The only thing I could think is that is where ego and feelings come in. If he were to stay, there would be the constant reminder that BG was chosen over him, or he might disagree on decisions, but not want to cause problems. So, the change of scenery gets you away from that, even if the job you are moving on to isn't any more highly regarded.

The other reason to leave is to be a part of building something. Oakland is further along than Cleveland (duh) in their development as a franchise, but nobody has seen Oakland be a consistent power. If Wolf goes to one of those places and they become consistently good, then he is even more of a hot commodity as a GM candidate.

Also, John Dorsey and Reggie McKenzie are much older than BG, and closer to retirement, so Wolf's wait in those two places wouldn't be as long, provided neither or both teams remain/become a dumpster fire and everyone gets fired. That's the risk if you are Wolf. Stay with the established Packers, who are having a momentary changing of the guard, or go to two places that are trying to establish a winning culture.
    The real equalizer in all of this is that there are only 32 NFL teams. So there are only 32 GM spots and maybe 100 top other executive GM positions.

You can't be real picky when are opportunity to advance comes along. You either take it or you might have to wait another 3-4 years before you are looked at for a similar position.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I like this hire. Pettine has run good defenses everywhere he has gone. Hopefully he can take the pieces in place add the additional players we pick up and create a functioning defense.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    His 5 years as DC, his defenses finished in he top ten every year. That doesn't happen because you have 1 shutdown corner.
    He's never had Aaron Rodgers on the other side of the ball for his teams either.

With a top 15 D that can rush the passer and get off of the field on 3rd down and Rodgers healthy, the Packers will win 11 games.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I like this hire. Pettine has run good defenses everywhere he has gone. Hopefully he can take the pieces in place add the additional players we pick up and create a functioning defense.
    One of they key pieces of information in one of the articles (I think it was Bedard's) was that Pettine has been good at tailoring his scheme to the players he has. That was part of the general player acquisition/scheme mismatch we've mulled over many times here on the defense. Now they've updated both!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    I'm ok with Pettine. But why was he without a coaching job for 2 years? A year away is normal but does anyone have a story about this?
    After he was fired, he decided that he was going to take a year off and not just jump into a new job. He took the firing a bit personal so just stepped back from the NFL. He was interviewed for the DC position in Washington before this season and when he didn't get that job he was a defensive consultant to the Seattle Seahawks.

Interesting article from NFL.com about coaches who get fired and what they do: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...away-from-game
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    But does Murphy report to AR?
    They all do until he signs the next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    I definitely remember he was taking a year off at the time of firing. Did not want to jump back in. But this is what he did last year:

Pettine, who spent the 2017 season in a consulting role with the Seattle Seahawks
    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-...-job-113413528

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/sta...22862759297024

I'm guardedly optimistic about the choice of Pettine. Like Leonhard, he's apparently a disciple of Ryan, and Leonhard has shown a lot of creativity - roughly similar to Capers.

I suppose it's arguable that Pettine had good talent to work with those other places - which obviously he won't - for a while anyway - with the Packers.

We'll just have to see. He probably will get a "honeymoon" from criticism for a while, at least, given the weird irrational hate of Capers that was so prevalent in here.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    They all do until he signs the next contract.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.