Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers To Hire Pettine As DC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I don't like the setup either

I kinda wonder if MM really wanted Ball but felt a lot of pushback...fans....MM...AROD....plenty of others.....so he went with the Personnell Guy and made him less powerful ??
    I think Mike and the Pro Personnel guys were like Packer fans. Can we please sign a veteran corner even if they are terrible?

And how about one pricey free agent a year Ted?

Its hard to read the formerly current situation. They did that last year (it backfired of course) but I cannot read who talked Ted into it. It might just have been that he had an unusual number of holes on his roster compared to most years. He lost a Guard and TE he didn't think he would lose.

I don't mind Mike giving Guteus Maximus a shopping list, but take what you get and make it work.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I might have a hard time letting this go. Be prepared for Murphy consultation jokes next year in Game Day threads the first time they are behind.

"I'm telling Mark on you ..."
    But does Murphy report to AR?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    But does Murphy report to AR?
    They all do until he signs the next contract.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Bradley re-signed with the Chargers tonight too.

Pettine spent last year in Seattle. Good.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-09-2018 at 10:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Bradley re-signed with the Chargers tonight too.

Petting spent last year in Seattle. Good.
    Gotta like the hire; I feel better knowing Bradley prolly wanted to stay in SD

So it was Petting or Fangio (who might not have come anyways)

HIRING A SUCCESSFUL DC asopposed to one of the Internal inexperienced guys.

HIRING A PERSONNELL GUY over the Cappie Guy

Gotta like it.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    HIRING A SUCCESSFUL DC asopposed to one of the Internal inexperienced guys.

HIRING A PERSONNELL GUY over the Cappie Guy
    I agree.
    wist

Greg Bedard, whose reporting was far superior to his punditry or offensive line coach predictions, has a great piece about how Pettine installs his defense in Cleveland, down to the thin playbook so that when the Patriots steal it, there won't be much revealed.

https://www.si.com/2014/06/19/mike-p...d-browns-coach

There are double quotes which are apparently an artifact of the article formerly being on MMQB and not being on SI's new platform.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...gamble_to.html

How Mike Pettine's career gamble transformed him from a high school coach into coach of the Cleveland Browns

Updated on January 26, 2014 at 7:42 AM Posted on January 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM

BEREA, Ohio – " ...Twelve years ago, Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick sat in a room with Mike Pettine and begged him not to take the entry-level position he was offering.

Why would a successful high school football coach in his 30s with a wife and small kids leave the security of a good teaching job in suburban Philadelphia to work in the Ravens’ video-operations department?..."

Please click on the LINK above for this excellent story and The Green Bay Packers new DC Mike Pettine.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/p...the-2014-draft

Morning kickoff: Pettine's biggest regrets were Browns' top two picks of 2014 draft

Apr 27, 2016 .......Tony Grossi ........ESPN Cleveland
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

According to Twitter timeline on Pettine and Bradley, Packers acted first.

But Packer Report said both Bradley and Fangio are staying put, leaving Packers with MP. No source from Packer Report on where he got that timeframe.

Its hard to say, I bet the report from today that the Packers asked permission to talk to Bradley was just delayed. However, either Fangio or Bradley could have let the Packers know they were staying long before the public got word.

https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Articl...ense-113492012

Blog Entries
    I think the Browns are It for Wolfie

I too don't see Oakland as having much upside to advance his career
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I'm ok with Pettine. But why was he without a coaching job for 2 years? A year away is normal but does anyone have a story about this?
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    I'm ok with Pettine. But why was he without a coaching job for 2 years? A year away is normal but does anyone have a story about this?
    After he was fired, he decided that he was going to take a year off and not just jump into a new job. He took the firing a bit personal so just stepped back from the NFL. He was interviewed for the DC position in Washington before this season and when he didn't get that job he was a defensive consultant to the Seattle Seahawks.

Interesting article from NFL.com about coaches who get fired and what they do: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...away-from-game
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    I definitely remember he was taking a year off at the time of firing. Did not want to jump back in. But this is what he did last year:

Pettine, who spent the 2017 season in a consulting role with the Seattle Seahawks
    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-...-job-113413528

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/sta...22862759297024

I'm guardedly optimistic about the choice of Pettine. Like Leonhard, he's apparently a disciple of Ryan, and Leonhard has shown a lot of creativity - roughly similar to Capers.

I suppose it's arguable that Pettine had good talent to work with those other places - which obviously he won't - for a while anyway - with the Packers.

We'll just have to see. He probably will get a "honeymoon" from criticism for a while, at least, given the weird irrational hate of Capers that was so prevalent in here.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'm guardedly optimistic about the choice of Pettine. Like Leonhard, he's apparently a disciple of Ryan, and Leonhard has shown a lot of creativity - roughly similar to Capers.

I suppose it's arguable that Pettine had good talent to work with those other places - which obviously he won't - for a while anyway - with the Packers.

We'll just have to see. He probably will get a "honeymoon" from criticism for a while, at least, given the weird irrational hate of Capers that was so prevalent in here.
    For me, it's never anything personal. I think at some point, the team had to make the change anyway because the results were not there, no matter how much blame he deserves, or the players he had to coach. Of course the team knew who was picking the players and did something about it.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Kornélios Taylor @iKornelios
    #Packers fans can’t complain about scheme this year under Mike Pettine. Every single fan gets what they wanted on defense schematically. We’ll see a 4-3 Under, Base 3-4, and a combination on Nickel of a 4-3 Nickel (4-2-5) + 3-4 Nickel (2-4-5), we’ll see Dime more than ever.

https://twitter.com/iKornelios

Seems like a decent follow. He has a bunch of candidates for Packer draft picks in first round too. Anyone know his reputation? any good at this?
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-10-2018 at 10:19 AM.

More Pettine's defense, this one about how his Buffalo defense would translate to Cleveland. His results in Cleveland on D were very mixes to poor. Top 10 in points first year, but second year point and both years' yardage were bottom third I believe.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/2...-bills-defense

Blog Entries
    Pettine is a meat and potatoes guy. Plays some basic covers, but mixes things up. I seem to remember him coaching from the sideline. I think a DC has to be down there to get a feel of the guys. He's a hard nosed regular ol football coach.

IMO this is a good hire and will show even more how Capers should have been let go years ago.