Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers To Hire Pettine As DC

Kornélios Taylor @iKornelios
    #Packers fans can’t complain about scheme this year under Mike Pettine. Every single fan gets what they wanted on defense schematically. We’ll see a 4-3 Under, Base 3-4, and a combination on Nickel of a 4-3 Nickel (4-2-5) + 3-4 Nickel (2-4-5), we’ll see Dime more than ever.

https://twitter.com/iKornelios

Seems like a decent follow. He has a bunch of candidates for Packer draft picks in first round too. Anyone know his reputation? any good at this?
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-10-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

More Pettine's defense, this one about how his Buffalo defense would translate to Cleveland. His results in Cleveland on D were very mixes to poor. Top 10 in points first year, but second year point and both years' yardage were bottom third I believe.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/2...-bills-defense
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Pettine is a meat and potatoes guy. Plays some basic covers, but mixes things up. I seem to remember him coaching from the sideline. I think a DC has to be down there to get a feel of the guys. He's a hard nosed regular ol football coach.

IMO this is a good hire and will show even more how Capers should have been let go years ago.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    Pettine defense's have been successful but they're pressure-based and they use both 3-4 and 4-3 concepts. Lots of flexibility to do numerous things, which means players have to be flexible and football smart. However, in '17 he has been with Pete Carroll, whose D is much simpler.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    Source familiar with Pettine's scheme said "smarts will be a major factor when selecting players." GM Brian Gutekunst and McCarthy will have to be on the same page about what kind of player is needed to succeed in that defense.

KY might very well be correct in that the coverages are simpler, but the fronts are ever changing. That means the LBs, especially inside guys, will need to step it up. Probably true of safeties.

Good thing about Seattle experience is that he might have a simplified base he can use effectively in multiple situations. So they always have a safe space. You then can add complexity to it as they progress. Even before Seattle he talked about how players let you know when they had stopped absorbing new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    IMO this is a good hire and will show even more how Capers should have been let go years ago.
    He is going to need pass rush talent though or pressure stuff won't work. He is Ryan disciple and like Capers, they want pressure on QB and safe coverages behind it.

https://www.si.com/2014/06/19/mike-p...d-browns-coach

“It's your job as a coach to keep throwing stuff at them and at some point, you'll get feedback,” Pettine says. “But you're going to have teams, like the 2006 Ravens defense, that had almost like an infinite sponge. We could have 60 calls up on game day, it doesn't matter. Those guys Ed [Reed], Ray [Lewis], Adalius [Thomas], Jarret Johnson—those guys could handle anything you threw at them. If your team's cumulative sponge isn't big, then you might have to back it off a little bit. I think sponge-wise, we're pretty smart. We already have some advanced stuff very quickly. But there's some coaches that each year, teach, This what we run and that's it. They don't ask more of their guys. To me that's coaching. If your guys can do more and you’re not doing more, that's on you. Or if this is your norm and you have a pretty good team and they're just not mentally there, then [expletive] pare it back a little bit.”
    So he is aware of the challenge. Lets hope Seattle taught him how to deal with it when the sponge is small.

Want to feel great about this hire and how he "simplifies" things for his guys?
    This is regarding his hire in Cleveland but about half way down he goes very indepth into his scheme teaching philosophies. Real smart guy from what I can tell.

EDIT - sorry I see it was posted above

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

So he is aware of the challenge. Lets hope Seattle taught him how to deal with it when the sponge is small.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Tramontana chimes in:

“He does some things that teams just don’t expect,” Williams said of Pettine’s pass defense. “A lot of different coverages. He doesn’t stick with one thing. He keeps things going. He’s not going to call one play or one defense all game long. He’s going to keep switching up things and keep teams off-balance. At the end of the day, the players have to make plays. Everywhere I’ve been, we’ve always had pretty good corners. That’s one of the things that you do have to have in that defense. You do have to have some good corners in that defense. It’ll be successful.”
    https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Articl...tine-113508614

Blog Entries
    I don't know if Pettine is the founder of the D but I like Buffalo's base. They play a straight 4-3, but with Buffalo, that Jerry Hughes is is a great hand at that DE/OLB position. He plays like a DE on some snaps and OLB on others. This could be Nick Perry's natural position. Nick is a tweener guy. That type of scheme could play right into his strengths.

In a vanilla 4-3, you have to get your pass rush heat from DE's. Those kind of guys are hard to get.

A combo set-up could be installed here without shaking up our roster as much.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'm guardedly optimistic about the choice of Pettine. Like Leonhard, he's apparently a disciple of Ryan, and Leonhard has shown a lot of creativity - roughly similar to Capers.

I suppose it's arguable that Pettine had good talent to work with those other places - which obviously he won't - for a while anyway - with the Packers.

We'll just have to see. He probably will get a "honeymoon" from criticism for a while, at least, given the weird irrational hate of Capers that was so prevalent in here.
    For me, it's never anything personal. I think at some point, the team had to make the change anyway because the results were not there, no matter how much blame he deserves, or the players he had to coach. Of course the team knew who was picking the players and did something about it.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I was hoping for Fangio but we could certainly do worse than Pettine.

Some of those defenses he coached always seemed disproportionately good for how pedestrian their pass rush was. That's pretty good for us I guess. The league moves fast so I hope he's kept up with the trends.

It bothered me with Capers seeing 11 decent individual efforts that didn't play like a sum of their parts. In the past there have been obvious personnel issues where guys are obvious liabilities (Peprah, Brad Jones, Bush, etc.). These days it seems like the defense can break down without anyone playing particularly poorly. This is somewhat confirmed when our cast offs go on to reach at new heights of success on other NFL teams.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 01-10-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

We all were hoping Mike would look outside the organization for our next DC so we have to be happy about that...

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I think you will see a lot of pressure with the guys we have on the roster. Our blitzes seemed stale, seemed like the Offense could see Nitro Blitzes three plays before they were called and the like. I would LOVE to see King healthy for a year and sign an elite CB in the off season. I really do not think that this team is that far off on D.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    We all were hoping Mike would look outside the organization for our next DC so we have to be happy about that...
    Without it being an indictment on Gute, it appears M3 had a more thorough search for a DC than Murphy did for a GM. Murphy looked at the Wolf/TT tree after checking off the Rooney box. M3 just hired a DC he has never worked with before.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Does Pettine become M4?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Does Pettine become M4?
    Oh, that's a good question. I don't think you can offer the DC an honorific that applies just to head coaches of the GBP.

How about MDC?

It does setup a tantalizing succession plan though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Without it being an indictment on Gute, it appears M3 had a more thorough search for a DC than Murphy did for a GM. Murphy looked at the Wolf/TT tree after checking off the Rooney box. M3 just hired a DC he has never worked with before.
    And I think the Rooney tree was tokenism at its worst. Another mark against Not Bob Harlan.