Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers To Hire Pettine As DC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    IMO this is a good hire and will show even more how Capers should have been let go years ago.
    He is going to need pass rush talent though or pressure stuff won't work. He is Ryan disciple and like Capers, they want pressure on QB and safe coverages behind it.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    Pettine defense's have been successful but they're pressure-based and they use both 3-4 and 4-3 concepts. Lots of flexibility to do numerous things, which means players have to be flexible and football smart. However, in '17 he has been with Pete Carroll, whose D is much simpler.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein
    Source familiar with Pettine's scheme said "smarts will be a major factor when selecting players." GM Brian Gutekunst and McCarthy will have to be on the same page about what kind of player is needed to succeed in that defense.

KY might very well be correct in that the coverages are simpler, but the fronts are ever changing. That means the LBs, especially inside guys, will need to step it up. Probably true of safeties.

Good thing about Seattle experience is that he might have a simplified base he can use effectively in multiple situations. So they always have a safe space. You then can add complexity to it as they progress. Even before Seattle he talked about how players let you know when they had stopped absorbing new things.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

https://www.si.com/2014/06/19/mike-p...d-browns-coach

“It's your job as a coach to keep throwing stuff at them and at some point, you'll get feedback,” Pettine says. “But you're going to have teams, like the 2006 Ravens defense, that had almost like an infinite sponge. We could have 60 calls up on game day, it doesn't matter. Those guys Ed [Reed], Ray [Lewis], Adalius [Thomas], Jarret Johnson—those guys could handle anything you threw at them. If your team's cumulative sponge isn't big, then you might have to back it off a little bit. I think sponge-wise, we're pretty smart. We already have some advanced stuff very quickly. But there's some coaches that each year, teach, This what we run and that's it. They don't ask more of their guys. To me that's coaching. If your guys can do more and you’re not doing more, that's on you. Or if this is your norm and you have a pretty good team and they're just not mentally there, then [expletive] pare it back a little bit.”
    So he is aware of the challenge. Lets hope Seattle taught him how to deal with it when the sponge is small.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

So he is aware of the challenge. Lets hope Seattle taught him how to deal with it when the sponge is small.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Want to feel great about this hire and how he "simplifies" things for his guys?
    This is regarding his hire in Cleveland but about half way down he goes very indepth into his scheme teaching philosophies. Real smart guy from what I can tell.

EDIT - sorry I see it was posted above

Tramontana chimes in:

“He does some things that teams just don’t expect,” Williams said of Pettine’s pass defense. “A lot of different coverages. He doesn’t stick with one thing. He keeps things going. He’s not going to call one play or one defense all game long. He’s going to keep switching up things and keep teams off-balance. At the end of the day, the players have to make plays. Everywhere I’ve been, we’ve always had pretty good corners. That’s one of the things that you do have to have in that defense. You do have to have some good corners in that defense. It’ll be successful.”
    https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Articl...tine-113508614

Blog Entries
    I don't know if Pettine is the founder of the D but I like Buffalo's base. They play a straight 4-3, but with Buffalo, that Jerry Hughes is is a great hand at that DE/OLB position. He plays like a DE on some snaps and OLB on others. This could be Nick Perry's natural position. Nick is a tweener guy. That type of scheme could play right into his strengths.

In a vanilla 4-3, you have to get your pass rush heat from DE's. Those kind of guys are hard to get.

A combo set-up could be installed here without shaking up our roster as much.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I was hoping for Fangio but we could certainly do worse than Pettine.

Some of those defenses he coached always seemed disproportionately good for how pedestrian their pass rush was. That's pretty good for us I guess. The league moves fast so I hope he's kept up with the trends.

It bothered me with Capers seeing 11 decent individual efforts that didn't play like a sum of their parts. In the past there have been obvious personnel issues where guys are obvious liabilities (Peprah, Brad Jones, Bush, etc.). These days it seems like the defense can break down without anyone playing particularly poorly. This is somewhat confirmed when our cast offs go on to reach at new heights of success on other NFL teams.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 01-10-2018 at 12:06 PM.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

We all were hoping Mike would look outside the organization for our next DC so we have to be happy about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    We all were hoping Mike would look outside the organization for our next DC so we have to be happy about that...
    Without it being an indictment on Gute, it appears M3 had a more thorough search for a DC than Murphy did for a GM. Murphy looked at the Wolf/TT tree after checking off the Rooney box. M3 just hired a DC he has never worked with before.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Without it being an indictment on Gute, it appears M3 had a more thorough search for a DC than Murphy did for a GM. Murphy looked at the Wolf/TT tree after checking off the Rooney box. M3 just hired a DC he has never worked with before.
    And I think the Rooney tree was tokenism at its worst. Another mark against Not Bob Harlan.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    And I think the Rooney tree was tokenism at its worst. Another mark against Not Bob Harlan.
    I'm a little surprised you haven't started the Fire Mark Murphy! thread yet.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I am hoping he is more dullard than authoritarian and doesn't really do much with his newfound position. The PC with Guteus Maximus was a testament to having it both ways.

Murphy said he was more involved in the football side of things in the last couple of years but was still unaware there were communication and collaboration problems. If Mike Florio can detect them from West Virginia but you cannot in your own building while spending time on that side of the business, you are not very aware.

I think even McGinn launched a column with McCarthy's impatience with Thompson last year.

And that baseline could mean he wants them to talk or he might decide he needs to decide. If he starts deciding, then the thread is a go.

Actually, I'd be stunned if we don't have an fire Murphy thread somewhere on standby.

Murphy and McCarty out with the Wash Water? Are they tied at the hip?
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-11-2018 at 12:02 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I think you will see a lot of pressure with the guys we have on the roster. Our blitzes seemed stale, seemed like the Offense could see Nitro Blitzes three plays before they were called and the like. I would LOVE to see King healthy for a year and sign an elite CB in the off season. I really do not think that this team is that far off on D.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Does Pettine become M4?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Does Pettine become M4?
    Oh, that's a good question. I don't think you can offer the DC an honorific that applies just to head coaches of the GBP.

How about MDC?

It does setup a tantalizing succession plan though.

Rex Ryan on Pettine hire:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...ator-in-league

“He’s the smartest guy in the room,” Ryan said.

“That record he has in Cleveland looks pretty good now,” Ryan said. “The guy there is going to have to coach 10 years to get that many wins.”

“He’ll be the best coordinator in the league; that’s how good he is,” Ryan said. “I think the big thing is, the fan base ought to be super excited about him because this is a good get. There’s other names out there or whatever, but this is the best coach out there that they could’ve got."

“This guy is going to give you the gamut. We have a philosophy, and Mike has it, it’s a 'KILL' philosophy -- keep it likable and learnable -- and that’s what we do, and that team is going to play fast and play physical, and I can’t wait to watch them.”

Ryan rejected the idea that it’s too complicated for a young defense, which the Packers often field.

“That’s not true, not at all,” he said. “You’ve just got to be smart in a way that if you love football, then you’ll love playing in this defense. If not, you really shouldn’t be in the league. If you don’t want to play in this system, you don’t want to play in any system.

“It will make good players great. If you’re an average player, you’ll be good. There’s times when Mike and I were together, we literally had no NFL corners, and yet we found a way to make it work. And I think there’s times when we’ve had great players and we’ve had historic success. If you love the game, then these guys died and went to heaven in this system.”

Rex Ryan thinks Pettine is the best think since sliced bread or something.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...-mike-pettine/

“He’ll be the best coordinator in the league; that’s how good he is,” Ryan said, according to Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “I think the big thing is, the fan base ought to be super excited about him because this is a good get. There’s other names out there or whatever, but this is the best coach out there that they could’ve got.”