Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers To Hire Pettine As DC

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    And I think the Rooney tree was tokenism at its worst. Another mark against Not Bob Harlan.
    I'm a little surprised you haven't started the Fire Mark Murphy! thread yet.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I'm a little surprised you haven't started the Fire Mark Murphy! thread yet.
    I am hoping he is more dullard than authoritarian and doesn't really do much with his newfound position. The PC with Guteus Maximus was a testament to having it both ways.

Murphy said he was more involved in the football side of things in the last couple of years but was still unaware there were communication and collaboration problems. If Mike Florio can detect them from West Virginia but you cannot in your own building while spending time on that side of the business, you are not very aware.

I think even McGinn launched a column with McCarthy's impatience with Thompson last year.

And that baseline could mean he wants them to talk or he might decide he needs to decide. If he starts deciding, then the thread is a go.

Actually, I'd be stunned if we don't have an fire Murphy thread somewhere on standby.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Pettine = "Sponge Bob"
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Rex Ryan on Pettine hire:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...ator-in-league

“He’s the smartest guy in the room,” Ryan said.

“That record he has in Cleveland looks pretty good now,” Ryan said. “The guy there is going to have to coach 10 years to get that many wins.”

“He’ll be the best coordinator in the league; that’s how good he is,” Ryan said. “I think the big thing is, the fan base ought to be super excited about him because this is a good get. There’s other names out there or whatever, but this is the best coach out there that they could’ve got."

“This guy is going to give you the gamut. We have a philosophy, and Mike has it, it’s a 'KILL' philosophy -- keep it likable and learnable -- and that’s what we do, and that team is going to play fast and play physical, and I can’t wait to watch them.”

Ryan rejected the idea that it’s too complicated for a young defense, which the Packers often field.

“That’s not true, not at all,” he said. “You’ve just got to be smart in a way that if you love football, then you’ll love playing in this defense. If not, you really shouldn’t be in the league. If you don’t want to play in this system, you don’t want to play in any system.

“It will make good players great. If you’re an average player, you’ll be good. There’s times when Mike and I were together, we literally had no NFL corners, and yet we found a way to make it work. And I think there’s times when we’ve had great players and we’ve had historic success. If you love the game, then these guys died and went to heaven in this system.”

I am hoping he is more dullard than authoritarian and doesn't really do much with his newfound position. The PC with Guteus Maximus was a testament to having it both ways.

Murphy said he was more involved in the football side of things in the last couple of years but was still unaware there were communication and collaboration problems. If Mike Florio can detect them from West Virginia but you cannot in your own building while spending time on that side of the business, you are not very aware.

I think even McGinn launched a column with McCarthy's impatience with Thompson last year.

And that baseline could mean he wants them to talk or he might decide he needs to decide. If he starts deciding, then the thread is a go.

Actually, I'd be stunned if we don't have an fire Murphy thread somewhere on standby.
    ^^^I think the Mark Murphy is as useless as a hind TIT thread should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    ^^^I think the Mark Murphy is as useless as a hind TIT thread should suffice.
    I have to hand it to Vincenzo, we have gotten a lot of run out of it. Though its title is not in the classic form. Maybe we can adopt a reformed thread title cannon.

Meanwhile, Rex has me all fired up for Pettine.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rex Ryan thinks Pettine is the best think since sliced bread or something.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...-mike-pettine/

“He’ll be the best coordinator in the league; that’s how good he is,” Ryan said, according to Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “I think the big thing is, the fan base ought to be super excited about him because this is a good get. There’s other names out there or whatever, but this is the best coach out there that they could’ve got.”

More Rex:

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-p...ator-in-league

Rex Ryan thought Mike Pettine was just a video guy, someone who could help him put together film that would keep his Baltimore Ravens players interested and focused on the game plans.

That was 16 years ago, when Ryan was the Ravens' defensive line coach and Pettine worked in the team’s video department.

He quickly discovered that Pettine was much, much more.

“He’s the smartest guy in the room,” Ryan said.
    And that comes without a caveat, Ryan said. It doesn’t matter who’s in the room.

“I was trying to spice up my presentations, and the more I talked to him, I realized, ‘Holy cow, this dude knows everything, he’s a real football guy,’” Ryan, now an ESPN analyst, said in an interview Wednesday – one day after the Packers hired Pettine as their new defensive coordinator.

“So when we had the chance, we made him quality control coach, and then outside linebackers and then defensive coordinator. He was my right-hand man forever.”

It's been a few years since Pettine was a DC. Any idea how he views the trend of using a small LB/safety at the ILB position. Did Jets have big ILB's when he was DC there?

Wow, some of these numbers, especially scoring are not fantastic.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...73ffa2363.html

When Ryan became the Jets’ head coach in 2009, he brought Pettine with him, and Pettine spent four years in charge of the Jets defense, which finished No. 1 in the NFL in scoring defense (14.8 points per game) and total defense (252.3 yards per game) in 2009; sixth (19.0) and third (291.5) in 2010; 20th (22.7) and fifth (312.1) in 2011; and 20th (23.4) and eighth (323.4) in 2012.

When Ryan overhauled his staff after the 2012 season, Pettine went to Buffalo, where the Bills finished 2013 ranked 20th in scoring defense (24.3) and 10th in total defense (333.4).
    Let's chart this:
    Code:
    Year Scoring Yards FOrnk
    2009      1      1     1 (GB was #2)
    2010      6      3     5 (GB was #2 again)
    2011     20      5     2 (GB was 25th)
    2012     20      8     9 (GB was 8th)
    2013bb   20     10     4 (GB was 31st)
    Football Outsiders has those defenses that got scored on as performing pretty well from an efficiency standpoint, down by down. Don't remember that team well, but was that the game that just shut Rodgers down in Buffalo?

Wow, some of these numbers, especially scoring are not fantastic.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/f...73ffa2363.html

Let's chart this:
    Code:
    Year Scoring Yards FOrnk
    2009      1      1     1 (GB was #2)
    2010      6      3     5 (GB was #2 again)
    2011     20      5     2 (GB was 25th)
    2012     20      8     9 (GB was 8th)
    2013bb   20     10     4 (GB was 31st)
    Football Outsiders has those defenses that got scored on as performing pretty well from an efficiency standpoint, down by down. Don't remember that team well, but was that the game that just shut Rodgers down in Buffalo?
    When a defense is 5th in yards allowed and 20th in points allowed (2011), the offense usually has something to do with it. I looked it up. Jets offense was 25th, and Jets turned the ball over 34 times. Sanchez was intercepted 18 times, and they lost 16 fumbles.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    When a defense is 5th in yards allowed and 20th in points allowed (2011), the offense usually has something to do with it. I looked it up. Jets offense was 25th, and Jets turned the ball over 34 times. Sanchez was intercepted 18 times, and they lost 16 fumbles.
    Was that the year an O lineman's ass caused a Sanchez fumble, returned for a TD by NE?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Was that the year an O lineman's ass caused a Sanchez fumble, returned for a TD by NE?
    The legendary butt fumble occurred on Thanksgiving Day the following year.

Pettine was the DC when the Packers beat the Jets 9-0 in 2010. Rodgers was 15-34 for 170 yards.

To me one of the most critical stats is punts forced... Green Bay was 27th in forced punts. In other words, "3 and out" was not in the game plan.

We were 22nd in yds allowed (Minnesota #1) and 26th in pts...

Dom should have been fired years ago.

I'm encouraged by the Pettine hiring... no more abandoning the middle of the field - and holy fuck I hope we never see a 2-4 again!!! lol...
    wist

Pettine was the DC when the Packers beat the Jets 9-0 in 2010. Rodgers was 15-34 for 170 yards.
    Say no more fam.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...gamble_to.html

How Mike Pettine's career gamble transformed him from a high school coach into coach of the Cleveland Browns

Updated on January 26, 2014 at 7:42 AM Posted on January 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM

BEREA, Ohio – " ...Twelve years ago, Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick sat in a room with Mike Pettine and begged him not to take the entry-level position he was offering.

Why would a successful high school football coach in his 30s with a wife and small kids leave the security of a good teaching job in suburban Philadelphia to work in the Ravens’ video-operations department?..."

Please click on the LINK above for this excellent story and The Green Bay Packers new DC Mike Pettine.

GO PACK GO !
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    To me one of the most critical stats is punts forced... Green Bay was 27th in forced punts. In other words, "3 and out" was not in the game plan.

We were 22nd in yds allowed (Minnesota #1) and 26th in pts...

Dom should have been fired years ago.

I'm encouraged by the Pettine hiring... no more abandoning the middle of the field - and holy fuck I hope we never see a 2-4 again!!! lol...

Over the TOP too much, ' blind as (Blank) ':

** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/p...the-2014-draft

Morning kickoff: Pettine's biggest regrets were Browns' top two picks of 2014 draft

Apr 27, 2016 .......Tony Grossi ........ESPN Cleveland

Finally, something we can look forward to..... Brains and Coaching in Green Bay.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-10-2018 at 09:48 PM.