Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Packers To Hire Pettine As DC

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I'm a little surprised you haven't started the Fire Mark Murphy! thread yet.

Murphy and McCarty out with the Wash Water? Are they tied at the hip?
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-11-2018 at 12:02 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...le/1021107001/

Dougherty: Can Mike Pettine succeed? Answer's simple

Pete Dougherty, USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin

Published 6:07 p.m. CT Jan. 10, 2018 | Updated 6:25 p.m. CT Jan. 10, 2018
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...se/1022846001/

Podcast: Draft alone won't fix Packers' defense

Packers News Published 5:54 p.m. CT Jan. 10, 2018 | Updated 5:54 p.m. CT Jan. 10, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I have to hand it to Vincenzo, we have gotten a lot of run out of it. Though its title is not in the classic form. Maybe we can adopt a reformed thread title cannon.

Meanwhile, Rex has me all fired up for Pettine.
    As a rookie I'm good with that, pbmax. And I guess the hind tit will just have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    To me one of the most critical stats is punts forced... Green Bay was 27th in forced punts. In other words, "3 and out" was not in the game plan...
    I actually agree with wist on this one - 3rd down efficiency is pretty important. I'd also put Quarterback passer rating allowed up there, along with points allowed as among the most important defensive metrics.
    GB has let pedestrian QB's have QB ratings over 100 too often lately...
    Forcing more punts gives ARod more chances to work his magic, and less points given up by the D is an obvious part of the game.

I too agree with Wist that the three-and-out was the rarest of rare occurrences with DC's defenses.

My own sense of Poutine is that we'll see instant and significant improvement in that defense, whether or not Guttykut drafts an OLB in the first round. Sorry, Tex. Too many years of guys in the back end throwing their hands up in confusion and frustration after some pedestrian wide receiver ends up catching the ball thirty yards downfield, no Packer defender within ten yards of him.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    The more I marinate on Pettine, the more I wish we would have poached Fangio.

Fangio has really never put a bad defense on the field. Very impressive. When Pettine's defenses fell apart, they did so in Capers fashion. They were called complicated, lacking adjustment, and poorly tailored to the talent on the field. The league trends are to be simpler with an emphasis on reliably putting a hat-on-a-hat as Seattle assistants spread through the league. We seem to be going against the grain.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post

Fangio has really never put a bad defense on the field. Very impressive. When Pettine's defenses fell apart, they did so in Capers fashion. They were called complicated, lacking adjustment, and poorly tailored to the talent on the field. The league trends are to be simpler with an emphasis on reliably putting a hat-on-a-hat as Seattle assistants spread through the league. We seem to be going against the grain.
    That's my fear too. He had some fearsome talent on the front end (especially in Buffalo) for pass rush and that Jets D was loaded.

He still produced some middling results although being that low for yardage and high for scoring does mean the team had some self inflicted wounds.

I hope he picked up a few things in Seattle. His Cleveland D was pretty bad.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post

Copied from somewhere else but Fangio has had bad defenses.

By his fourth and final year in Carolina as DC, his defense was 30th in the league in yards and 27th in points.

By his third and final year in Indy as DC, his defense was 29th in the league in yards and 31st in points.

By his fourth and final year in Houston as DC, his defense was 31st in yards and 32nd in points.

His only true outstanding years as a DC were with the 49ers, but look at the talent he had on those teams - he had Justin Smith, an at-worst Hall of Very Gooder, anchoring the defensive line, and then four!!! All-Pro LBs.
    I am better looking than you.

Looks like there’s a pattern. Players not schemes. The best schemes are done in by pedestrian players.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Looks like there’s a pattern. Players not schemes. The best schemes are done in by pedestrian players.
    Always true. But Fangio has explicitly modified his scheme to adapt to younger players and simplicity. Pettine has worked with a lot of good vets.

Blog Entries
    Always true. But Fangio has explicitly modified his scheme to adapt to younger players and simplicity. Pettine has worked with a lot of good vets.
    My order of preference would have been

Fangio
    Bradley
    Pettine

But Wist gave his blessing, and if it gets him to shut up our DC I'm game.....hahaha

All 3 IMO were clearly better than hiring from within
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    As a rookie I'm good with that, pbmax. And I guess the hind tit will just have to do.
    Writing the word tit will lure Patler back Pronto.

We all know now that he's just not a football expert.

A lot of people have questioned whether Clay Matthews is worth keeping around at his salary. A case for keeping him with Pettine coming in.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...thews-in-2018/

Pettine likes to play multiple fronts, with disguised blitzes and coverages. It’s a scheme that could help revitalize Matthews’ ability to disrupt, possibly even as a pass-rusher.

Former NFL safety Jim Leonhard recently described Pettine’s defense as flexible and creative. That sounds exactly like what Matthews needs. He needs a playcaller capable of finding the right matchups and creating the right situations for playmakers to take advantage. The days of Matthews lining up every down on the edge and beating left and right tackles all afternoon are gone. Get him moving around and good things happen. Pettine will find ways. It’ll be one of his top priorities.

Ideally, the Packers would love for Pettine to find Matthews the perfect new role and inject some life into his game, all while grooming a young rookie – presumably a top pick – to be the defense’s next true difference maker.

Clearing a big chunk of cap space is a tempting scenario, but the Packers will be better off in 2018 with Matthews on the roster.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Maybe Petite can revive the "W" position for Matthews. Maybe. But the above reminds me that Jim Leonhard learned at the feet of the master.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    A lot of people have questioned whether Clay Matthews is worth keeping around at his salary. A case for keeping him with Pettine coming in.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018...thews-in-2018/
    The days of Matthews lining up every down on the edge and beating left and right tackles all afternoon are gone. Get him moving around and good things happen. Pettine will find ways. It’ll be one of his top priorities.
    He has been doing this for a while. He has spent a good deal of time at ILB on run downs in nickel and rushing from the interior on pass downs.

There are many ways to do this but I don't think, other than surprise until its on film, will this revitalize his career. The problem is that unless Perry is healthy, CMIII is still their best playmaker in the front seven. And best pass rusher.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

He has been doing this for a while. He has spent a good deal of time at ILB on run downs in nickel and rushing from the interior on pass downs.

There are many ways to do this but I don't think, other than surprise until its on film, will this revitalize his career. The problem is that unless Perry is healthy, CMIII is still their best playmaker in the front seven. And best pass rusher.
    One of Pettine's strengths is supposed to be using multiple fronts and disguising coverages. I had the sense this past year that the Packers under Capers were doing a poor job of disguising things. Seemed like teams kind of knew what was coming. An example was the devastating effectiveness of screen passes against the Packers defense. Screen passes should only work that well against certain defensive calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    One of Pettine's strengths is supposed to be using multiple fronts and disguising coverages. I had the sense this past year that the Packers under Capers were doing a poor job of disguising things. Seemed like teams kind of knew what was coming. An example was the devastating effectiveness of screen passes against the Packers defense. Screen passes should only work that well against certain defensive calls.
    Screen passes work well against blitzes and man coverage with deep safeties.

It also helps if one box safety is banged up (Burnett) and the other is a rookie (jones).

swapping one complex system for another...

pre free-agency/draft prediction for 2018... ummmm...8-8

Swapping one complex system for another is about the best we can hope for. Pettine sounds like he's a lot like Capers. That's exactly what maximizes any defense, and it's exactly what a team with mediocre personnel needs to present an adequate NFL defense.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?