Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2018 Other NFL News

Jerry Coleman reports that Ozzie Newsome may be stepping aside as GM and making way for Eric DeCosta.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I am rooting for no one ahead of the Packers in the draft order to get Cousins, so QBs keep getting drafted. None of these teams should be allowed to sign him:

1 Cleveland
    2 NY Giants
    3 Indianapolis
    4 Houston
    5 Denver
    6 NY Jets
    7 Tampa Bay
    8 Chicago
    9 San Francisco
    10 Oakland
    11 Miami
    12 Cincinnati
    13 Washington

He should go to Minnesota, they need more contenders to the throne.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ^ you have someone specific in mind you want to drop? Didn't see it or forgot...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am rooting for no one ahead of the Packers in the draft order to get Cousins, so QBs keep getting drafted. None of these teams should be allowed to sign him:

1 Cleveland
    2 NY Giants
    3 Indianapolis
    4 Houston
    5 Denver
    6 NY Jets
    7 Tampa Bay
    8 Chicago
    9 San Francisco
    10 Oakland
    11 Miami
    12 Cincinnati
    13 Washington

He should go to Minnesota, they need more contenders to the throne.
    yup. i want the no-brainers to be pushed back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    ^ you have someone specific in mind you want to drop? Didn't see it or forgot...
    No idea. My prognostication skills are normally bad. My draft prognostication skills have proven over time to be unfathomably terrible.

I do not understand what translates from college to the pros at all. All height/weight/speed prospects seem like crapshoots. I make fun of Madison beat writers who still believe Kevin Stemke was wronged by Packer and NFL coaches who couldn't make him a pro punter, but I am at a loss to explain why this happened.

My suspicion is that part of the problem is coaching and then salary. NFL coaches refuse to adjust except in small increments, so college coaches lap them repeatedly with less practice time and that messes up the evaluation process. Like predicting which 23 year old computer engineer will build you a good six cylinder diesel.

QB salaries make a hash out of running your QB, though that has changed very slowly. Rather than build offenses for the QBs available, the NFL prefers to change its rules to make it possible to survive 16 games as a pocket passer. Part of this is TV money and production ruining everyone's brain.

I posted two articles yesterday somewhere that I said failed to actually grasp ANY of Belichick's advantages. Did you know he asks his coaches to evaluate the previous game with players on Monday and then start work on the next opponent Monday night? Stunning, I know.

I think his advantage is that he is not tied to any specific defense or offense and is willing to change them wholesale season to season. And the guy doing the drafting knows exactly what he wants. And he can hit the sweet spot between effective and value (tiny white WRs who are quick but not fast) with regularity.

TL;DR?

EDGE or nickel DT who can pass rush like he breathes. I was hoping the Packers would luck into DeCosta or McCloughan (as uber scout possibly) so they could find the next Suggs or Preston Smith (Wash) or Patrick Willis.

Would Redskins tag Cousins?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...g-kirk-cousins

In what sets up as an offseason game of chicken that would markedly influence the quarterback market, the Washington Redskins will consider placing their franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins so that they can trade him and recoup some of the compensation they are sending to Kansas City for Alex Smith, per league sources.

Tagging Cousins would prevent him from becoming a true unrestricted free agent, able to sign where he wants and when he wants when the new league year opens March 14, and could impact how teams approach free agency and the draft. Without a franchise tag, Cousins would be considered the NFL's top available free agent, expected to draw interest from Arizona, Denver, the New York Jets and other quarterback-needy teams.

But Washington might well want a say in where Cousins winds up, which would enable the Redskins to try to extract compensation in the 2018 draft rather than having him walk away for nothing this year.

However, Cousins still would be able to wield some control of the situation and could force Washington into a challenging if not uncomfortable situation. Washington could not trade him until he signs the franchise tag, and if Cousins wanted, he could delay signing it for weeks or even months, with the Redskins having to count his approximate $34.5 million against their salary cap.

Cousins also could tell any of Washington's potential trade partners that he is unwilling to sign a long-term deal there, dampening that teams' enthusiasm for surrendering a top draft pick for his services and holding up any potential trade.

^ Nope.

No way does Washington tie up $45-50+ million on 2 QBs this offseason. Cousins will cost $34.5 mil. Neither Spotrac or OTC have Smith's new deal in cap terms, but his 2018 number was $20 million. Even if he cut that by a third, he's still at $14 mil for the year.

There is no way Cousins helps Washington by not signing the franchise tender.

The only way this is possible is if Washington pushed ALL of the cap hit into future years. Even then, teams will wait them out. No way does Washington let Smith and Cousins compete directly in camp.

Arizona, drafting right after Green Bay, might be in the hunt for Cousins.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Mort Reports that Scot McCloughan is now working for the Browns as a consultant.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    ^ Nope.

No way does Washington tie up $45-50+ million on 2 QBs this offseason. Cousins will cost $34.5 mil. Neither Spotrac or OTC have Smith's new deal in cap terms, but his 2018 number was $20 million. Even if he cut that by a third, he's still at $14 mil for the year.

There is no way Cousins helps Washington by not signing the franchise tender.

The only way this is possible is if Washington pushed ALL of the cap hit into future years. Even then, teams will wait them out. No way does Washington let Smith and Cousins compete directly in camp.
    Remember when we thought we could do that with Flynn. Ain’t going to happen.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Remember when we thought we could do that with Flynn. Ain’t going to happen.
    Yeah, its just too precious. You need a deal all lined up with someone when they know you will release him.

There is a chance it could work because teams do dumb things all the time with QBs, but you are taking an incredible chance and mucking up your cap and free agent acquisitions to get a 3rd round pick returned.

But most importantly, you have trashed your relationship with Cousins for 3 straight offseasons, including two bad contract offers and one trade for his replacement. Not only won't he help, he might sign the tender before the delivery guy leaves his driveway.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000914983/article/colts-hire-former-patriots-oc-josh-mcdaniels-as-head-coach

Colts hire former Pats OC Josh McDaniels as head coach

By Austin Knoblauch NFL.com

Published: Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:02 a.m. Updated: Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:24 a.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

Now this watch can begin as well as 'the Matt Patricia WATCH' as he's become The Detroit Lions Head Coach.Why1? Just how high a factor is the presence of The Patriots Ernie Adams !? Is that presence of Ernie Adams, the reason why other NFL Teams hiring The Patriots OC and DC at the Head Coaching Position in the past, not proven to be all that positive a move.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...coach-of-lions

Patriots DC Matt Patricia named head coach of Lions

By: Edward Lewis NFL.com

Published: Feb. 5, 2018 at 03:03 p.m. Updated: Feb. 5, 2018 at 06:06 p.m.

Note and taken from this LINK and The Patriots Ernie Adams:

https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2018/02...is-ernie-adams
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-06-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000914983/article/colts-hire-former-patriots-oc-josh-mcdaniels-as-head-coach

Colts hire former Pats OC Josh McDaniels as head coach

By Austin Knoblauch NFL.com

Published: Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:02 a.m. Updated: Feb. 6, 2018 at 11:24 a.m.

Comment woodbuck27:

Now this watch can begin as well as 'the Matt Patricia WATCH' as he's become The Detroit Lions Head Coach.Why1? Just how high a factor is the presence of The Patriots Ernie Adams !? Is that presence of Ernie Adams, the reason why other NFL Teams hiring The Patriots OC and DC at the Head Coaching Position in the past, not proven to be all that positive a move.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...coach-of-lions

Patriots DC Matt Patricia named head coach of Lions

By: Edward Lewis NFL.com

Published: Feb. 5, 2018 at 03:03 p.m. Updated: Feb. 5, 2018 at 06:06 p.m.

Note and taken from this LINK and The Patriots Ernie Adams:

https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2018/02...is-ernie-adams
    Also in terms of the Colts and Lions new hires at the Head Coach Position or respectively former Pats OC Josh McDaniels and Pats DC Matt Patricia:

http://voxday.blogspot.ca/2018/02/th...belichick.html

The secret of Bill Belichick ... SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 04, 2018

" ... (Bill) Belichick is the leader and the tactical genius, and (Ernie) Adams - New England Patriots
    Position:Football research director
    is the strategic brain.

He is a statistics quant who "helps the coaching staff" by writing the weekly game plans which Belichick then implements. In game development terms, Adams is the designer and Belichick is the producer. That's how the Patriots are able to completely change their style from week to week. That's also why it has almost been irrelevant who has been serving as offensive or defensive coordinator over the years, and why very successful OCs and DCs have struggled after leaving New England...."

Ernie Adams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_...ican_football)
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/2/...hes-super-bowl

What’s next for the Patriots after losing top assistants to Colts and Lions head coach jobs?

Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels are leaving town, but the Patriots have a contingency in place.

By: Christian D'Andrea@TrainIsland Feb 3, 2018, 9:30am EST

: The two successful coordinators will have to fight history in order to prove Bill Belichick’s coaching tree can bear fruit. Patriot assistants have typically been unsuccessful after being promoted to lead their own franchises. Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Eric Mangini, Bill O’Brien, and McDaniels have combined for a 98-152 record as head coaches — a win rate that doesn’t even hit 40 percent. " Fr. Article

Please hit the LINK for the rest of this story.

I think Cousins will end up in Jax, which will bode well for the Packers. Either way, I think people will get QB crazy and the big 4 (not sure what order they're in yet) will already be picked and somebody will trade up with GB for the 5th QB. I would have zero problem moving down for another 2nd and 3rd.

NEWS Flash :

Josh McDaniels has gotten cold feet with Indy and will remain as OC for the NE Patriots.

More

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

È In the past 48 hours, Patriots owner Robert Kraft began talking with Josh McDaniels and ultimately wound up sweetening his contract, helping to entice him to remain in New England, per sources. Bill Belichick has his OC back. È

4:39 PM - 6 Feb 2018

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I think Cousins will end up in Jax, which will bode well for the Packers. Either way, I think people will get QB crazy and the big 4 (not sure what order they're in yet) will already be picked and somebody will trade up with GB for the 5th QB. I would have zero problem moving down for another 2nd and 3rd.
    Maybe? your correct but:

Blake Bortles was looking good for Jacksonville this Season and progressing as the Season went along. He looked very decent in the Playoffs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Bortles

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    NEWS Flash :

Josh McDaniels has gotten cold feet with Indy and will remain as OC for the NE Patriots.

More

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

È In the past 48 hours, Patriots owner Robert Kraft began talking with Josh McDaniels and ultimately wound up sweetening his contract, helping to entice him to remain in New England, per sources. Bill Belichick has his OC back. È

4:39 PM - 6 Feb 2018
    Stay with the Patriots for another year or two, or go to the dumpster fire Colts with crazy owner? I can see why he got cold feet and stayed put.

What a douche move from McDaniels. The pats sure are classy.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    What a douche move from McDaniels. The pats sure are classy.
    He's apparently left a bunch of assistant coaches in a lurch.

Mike Garafolo‏ @MikeGarafolo
    The Colts' assistants you've seen reported (e.g. Matt Eberflus as DC) have signed contracts and have been in the team's building, sources say. Indications are they'll still be with the team, albeit under a different HC than McDaniels.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
    Ian Rapoport Retweeted Mike Garafolo
    Not only that, but Josh McDaniels was calling assistants earlier today and offering them jobs. No more.

So what caused Robert Kraft to open up the wallet, or guarantee hoody-elect status? Did Bill tell Kraft he's gone in two years? Is Bill just scamming Josh by dangling successor status?

Stay tuned!